Mum advised to abort two triplets gives birth to 3 healthy babies

parentdish.co.uk/2015/03/04/mum-advised-to-abort-two-triplets-gives-birth-to-three-healthy-baby-girls/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D334063

Some happy and positive Good News for a change. I’m sure there are more cases like these that don’t often make the news. :slight_smile:

Now, if people would only be more conservative with their fertility treatments.

It’s very unlikely that these were natural triplets.

Really? People have had triplets before the advent of fertility treatments.

From the article:

When Jaime became pregnant, scans revealed she had two monozygotic identical twins and one ‘singleton’ in her womb.

Consultants told them twins sharing a placenta are at risk of twin-to-twin syndrome of Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR).

Identical twins do not occur because of fertility treatments, they happen randomly.

“According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, the twin birth rate has increased by over 75% since 1980, and triplet, quadruplet, and high-order multiple births have increased at an even higher rate.”

asrm.org/BOOKLET_Multiple_Pregnancy_and_Birth/

“In the past 2 decades, the rate of multiple births in the United States jumped dramatically. The rate of twin births increased by 70 percent between 1980 and 2004, and the rate of higher-order multiples (triplets or more) increased four-fold between 1980 and 1998.”

“About one-third of the increase in multiple pregnancies is due to the fact that more women over age 30 are having babies. Women in this age group are more likely than younger women to conceive multiples. The remainder of the increase is due to the use of fertility treatments, including fertility-stimulating drugs and assisted reproductive technologies (ART), such as in vitro fertilization (IVF). In IVF, eggs are removed from the mother, fertilized in a laboratory dish and then transferred to the uterus. About 44 percent of ART pregnancies result in twins, and about 5 percent in triplets or more.”

marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/multiples-twins-triplets-and-beyond.aspx#

It’s not impossible that it was a natural triplet pregnancy, but if I had to bet money it, I would bet on fertility treatment.

Agree.Twins conceived through IVF are fraternal.

Is it a new thing to consider that dangerous?
I’ve never heard of the syndrome they mention, and I know a lot of people who were born as monozygomatic twins.

The midwife practice I go to considers identical twins too high-risk for them. They will take fraternal twin pregnancies but then delivery must occur in hospital instead of their birth center. If it can’t be determined whether they are fraternal or identical, they choose to refer out as well.

I think a lot of it is that it’s only fairly recent that you would be able to test to determine at all during pregnancy.

My first cousin once removed and his wife had twins, triplets, twins, twins, twins, single, single long before the advent of IVF and fertility drugs. Sadly, the first set of twins, the triplets and one of the second set of twins died. The third set of twins turn 65 this year and the fourth set of twins turns 62 this spring.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.