Mum of a baby left to die after being born at just 22 weeks raises petition calling for rule change

Thousands of people have signed a petition to change medical guidelines so babies born 22 weeks into pregnancy are not left to die by hospital staff.

Grieving mum Emma Jones, from Caerau, Cardiff, has called on the Welsh Government to review its guidelines so children like her son, Riley, are given a chance.

Riley Goodger died in the early hours of December 29, 2013, just 93 minutes after Ms Jones had given birth to him at Cardiff’s University Hospital of Wales.

walesonline.co.uk/news/health/mum-baby-left-die-after-8196704

Is there a cutoff in the US? Or is it up to the parents? I know when we were in NICU with our daughter, they had some in there as little as 22 weeks. I just always assumed that they do whatever they can, even if it only gives the parents an extra day or so. This sounds like the downside of having the government control all the healthcare. They’re more concerned with cost control then providing the best possible care.

I don’t know the “rules”, but I’ve seen my share of preemies when my siblings were in NICU and very few were that pre-term.

As far as the news story, the parents are grieving and they claim the baby was given no care despite breathing on his own. They also had another child, born dead. There is nothing from the hospital or the doctor(s) overseeing the case.

We don’t have the whole story here. We don’t know what the staff did for the baby or why they did or did not do specific things.

We don’t know why their first baby was stillborn. The truth is the parents could be passing on some genetic defect that makes it impossible for their infants to survive. Just because the baby was breathing doesn’t mean he could live, especially if there was something wrong with one or multiple internal organs brain included.

It’s entirely possible the hospital decided to not treat the baby as an act of mercy. If there was no chance of him surviving due to some genetic issues and/or organ malfunction they made the right call by not basically medically torturing him during his short time on Earth.

Based on other similar news articals from various sources, it would appear that it is accurate to say that Britain has a protocol that no care is given to babies born under 24 weeks, which is also their cutoff for legal abortion. This may have been a reasonable cutoff at one point, but with medical advances, they are able to save babies younger than that with regularity in specialized NICU. There is also the problem of the inaccuracy of dating prgnancies in the first place. It isn’t uncommon for doctors to be unsure of a conception date and if a matter of a week or two makes the difference between whether an a attempt will be made to save a baby’s life, I think it much more reasonable to use other critera to judge what care will be given. (Like attempting the care in the first place and evaluating if it is effective.) In this case, the baby lived over three days with no care, it is not unreasonable to say that he might have lived longer and more comfortably with care.

In the United States the Born Alive Infant Protection Act gives legal rights and protection to any baby born alive. And gives them even the right to medical care. Under this act it is mandatory for a physician to provide medical assistance to any baby born alive at any stage of development. It is federal law and President Bush signed it in 2002. Even abortion doctors have to provide medical assistance to the babys they abort if the baby is born alive

'“Born Alive” is defined as the complete expulsion of an infant at any stage of development that has a heartbeat, pulsation of the umbilical cord, breath, or voluntary muscle movement, no matter if the umbilical cord has been cut or if the expulsion of the infant was natural, induced labor, cesarean section, or induced abortion.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born-Alive_Infants_Protection_Act

Yes, this isn’t the first case I’ve heard of. This does seem to be the UK policy. I’d be thrilled to be corrected though and find out that it actually isn’t.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.