Murdered go to Heaven?

Do murdered people go to Heaven. Say for example someone is murdered by someone without having a chance to run or hide or anything. Does this victim go to Heaven or get more mercy than the rest of us for such an unfortunate thing to happen?

Jesus tells us that we don’t know the day or the hour. I think that someone who died from being murdered would be ‘treated’ the same as someone who died from natural causes - depends on whether they are in a state of grace at the time of their death or not.

The exception of course is someone who is murdered for their faith in God (a martyr). That’s called the baptism of blood, which results in the forgiveness of that person’s sins and retores them to a state of grace if they weren’t in one before. i’m pretty sure that all martyrs go to heaven.

[quote=punisherthunder]Do murdered people go to Heaven. Say for example someone is murdered by someone without having a chance to run or hide or anything. Does this victim go to Heaven or get more mercy than the rest of us for such an unfortunate thing to happen?
[/quote]

How would you know if such a victim was in a state of mortal sin or not at the time of the murder? Even if in a state of mortal sin how would you know if that person had maybe confessed in prayer to God for forgiveness and fully intended to go to Confession? How would you know if the person was in a state of mortal sin and didn’t care?
Your question is impossible to answer.

nobody can answer that question. only God can stand in judgement over them. but we can say with certainty that if they were in a state of grace at the moment they were killed that they would go to heaven, but we have no way of knowing who is or isnt in a state of grace.

The way I understand the question–it’s not impossible to answer.

Do victims of murder gain more mercy because their lives were cut short by an evil human act? No. None of us knows the precise time and day we’ll die, and the victim of a murder is–in that respect–no different from the victim of a fatal car accident, a sudden massive heart attack, or anything else.

Any particular murder victim–their final destination depends on God’s judgment, but the status of murder victim isn’t going to weigh into the judgment.

[quote=Melissa]The way I understand the question–it’s not impossible to answer.

Do victims of murder gain more mercy because their lives were cut short by an evil human act? No. None of us knows the precise time and day we’ll die, and the victim of a murder is–in that respect–no different from the victim of a fatal car accident, a sudden massive heart attack, or anything else.

Any particular murder victim–their final destination depends on God’s judgment, but the status of murder victim isn’t going to weigh into the judgment.
[/quote]

What you say is not correct. If a murder victim is in a state of unrepentant mortal sin at the time of his death that person will go to Hell. If on the other hand that person is repentant and intended to go to Confession but was killed first they would be saved.
What you are correct about is that we do not know the time and day we will die which is why we must remain in a state of grace (no mortal sins).
I can only assume you are not a Catholic as you are arguing that “status” at death does not matter.

[quote=thistle]What you say is not correct. If a murder victim is in a state of unrepentant mortal sin at the time of his death that person will go to Hell. If on the other hand that person is repentant and intended to go to Confession but was killed first they would be saved.
What you are correct about is that we do not know the time and day we will die which is why we must remain in a state of grace (no mortal sins).
I can only assume you are not a Catholic as you are arguing that “status” at death does not matter.
[/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong, Melissa, but I think what she was saying, thistle, is that whether or not the death was the result of murder makes no difference… we all have to stand judgement before God at our death. Those labeled “murder victim” stand judgement just as those labeled “cancer victim”.

On another note, we can pray for the grace of a “happy death”, so that whatever the circumstances, our souls are in a state of readiness.

[quote=Consecrated]Correct me if I’m wrong, Melissa, but I think what she was saying, thistle, is that whether or not the death was the result of murder makes no difference… we all have to stand judgement before God at our death. Those labeled “murder victim” stand judgement just as those labeled “cancer victim”.

On another note, we can pray for the grace of a “happy death”, so that whatever the circumstances, our souls are in a state of readiness.
[/quote]

You might be right. I read it differently and if I read the wrong way I apologise Melissa.

Yes, “Consecrated” read me correctly. Sorry about ambiguity in my writing.

People die of all sorts of things–some have warning, some do not. That’s why we should always try to be in the state of grace, and if we commit a mortal sin to not shilly-shally around when it comes to rectifying that condition, because we don’t know we’ll have tomorrow (whether that’s due to being murdered, struck by lightning, fatal car accident, massive heart attack, or any of the other myriad reasons that people die).

[quote=Melissa]Yes, “Consecrated” read me correctly. Sorry about ambiguity in my writing.

People die of all sorts of things–some have warning, some do not. That’s why we should always try to be in the state of grace, and if we commit a mortal sin to not shilly-shally around when it comes to rectifying that condition, because we don’t know we’ll have tomorrow (whether that’s due to being murdered, struck by lightning, fatal car accident, massive heart attack, or any of the other myriad reasons that people die).
[/quote]

God bless you for not beating me up for reading you incorrectly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.