MUSIC: Def Leppard

With the release of their new album “Songs from the Sparkle Lounge” I have to consider myself a life long Def Leppard fan and am proud to say so. This is one group that has stood the test of time. From their beginning in 1977, to their first album in 1980, to the adversity of losing a guitarist and a drummer losing an arm. Not to mention the onset of “punk rock” they have seen it all and have continued to shine with class. They have not had a song with a cuss word in it (that I can recall right now, there could be one), they have has sexual overtones in songs, but not to the point that it was offensive (to me atleast)

I have only heard a few songs from the new album, but just wanted to see if there were any other Def Leppard fans out there? I cannot think of many other bands that have been able to continue to make quality music for over 30 years.

Raises hand…

Their music really brings back memories, lol. I think I was about in middle school when they got big. I remember being insanely jealous because my older sister got to go to one of their concerts and I was too young. :slight_smile:

I don’t recall exactly when I got it - late grade school or high school - I got Pyromania. It was too “hard rock” for me. :o I gave it to my cousin. :shrug:

Ah well.

Saw Def Leppard in concert with The Kinks in 1983.

Good times… good times. :thumbsup:

Last week I was driveing down the road windows open kids strapped in singing pour some sugar on meeeeeee. some kids wew embarrased others thought it was funny.

Just wanted to say hello. I am a fellow Def Lep fan myself. :slight_smile:

:rotfl:

I’m old enough to remember when the drummer lost his arm. I was always amazed at how they stood by him… there was never any talk of a replacement drummer. Getting someone one else would have been the “easiest” thing to do, but instead they stood by their friend and helped him find a way to play again. In this day and age, I find that kind of courage and commitment amazing.

If my memory is correct, today’s Def Leppaed is still the same as it was in the 80’s, minus one member who sadly died from an overdose.

I had no idea they were still around. Whenever my sister and I would talk about the band, my mom always thought we were saying “the deaf lepers” :rotfl:

I am also a huge Def Leppard fan. I remember loving them way back in jr high. My brothers and sisters and cousins use to and still laugh at me because of it. My nephew learned a few songs on his guitar so that he could play them for me when I went back home for a visit. I loved it.

I AM TOO!! them and journey are my all time faves

They may not have had any cuss words, but they did have a song titled “Rock of Ages”. I kinda thought it was rather blasphemous, because Jesus is the REAL Rock of Ages. But I guess it could have been worse. They could have called the band “Judas Priest”. Oh wait, that name was already taken. :smiley:

I did/do like some of their music though. Gods of War was one of my favorites.

Blasphemous? Really? :nope:

Here I thought it was about Rock and Roll? freesmileys.org/smileys/rolleyes010.gif

Gunter glieben glauchen globen
Alright
I got something to say
Yeah, its better to burn out
Yeah, than fade away
All right
Ow
Gonna start a fire
Cmon!

Rise up! gather round
Rock this place to the ground
Burn it up lets go for broke
Watch the night go up in smoke
Rock on! (rock on!)
Drive me crazier, no serenade
No fire brigade, just pyromania, cmon

What do you want? what do you want?
I want rocknroll, yes I do
Long live rocknroll

Oh lets go, lets strike a light
Were gonna blow like dynamite
I dont care if it takes all night
Gonna set this town alight, cmon

I want rocknroll, alright!
Long live rocknroll, oh yeah

Rock of ages, rock of ages
Still rollin, keep a-rollin
Still rollin, rocknrollin

We got the power, got the glory
Just say you need it and if you need it
Say yeah!
Ooh yeah
Heh heh heh heh

Now listen to me
Im burnin, burnin, I got the fever
I know for sure, there aint no cure
So feel it, dont fight it, go with the flow
Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme one more for the road

I want rocknroll, you betcha
Long live rocknroll

Still rollin, keep a-rollin
Still rollin, rocknrollin

We got the power, got the glory
Just say you need it and if you need it
Say yeah!
Say yeah!
Were gonna burn this damn place down, woo hoo
Down to the ground

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

I loooove that song.:thumbsup:

I love Def Leppard…I was an 80’s teen, so count me in.:wave:

Please note the sarcasm in my response. How one makes the leap to make that song blasphemous baffles me.

I didn’t say the song was, but the title (IMHO) is and should be reserved for Christ alone.

It always felt a little odd during the chorus to hear it.

i saw this thread and couldn’t help but say that I looooove Def Leppard! really admire their one-armed drummer, too. i could never drum w/ one arm.

Oh I did notice it and I was in total agreement.

But your opinion of the title does not make it blasphemous, correct?

The title is not “The Rock of Ages” it is “Rock of Ages”

(Rock and Roll of Ages)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.