Music in other languages than English

Well, just post links to songs/music in another language than English that you like, or don’t like if you want to. Preferably something in your mother-tongue/first language if it is something else than English, but the song does not have to be in your mother-tongue of course which also makes it possible for people who have English as their first language to link to something. It would not have been very nice to exclude them but this way you can also post something, :slight_smile: and they also happens to be the majority on this forum, or at least I assume they are? Doesn’t really matter though.

Hopes someone else will post something too. You will get a chocolate monkey if you do! :slight_smile: … or well no, you won’t, but don’t feel too upset about it, you got at least a bad joke to read! :wink:

However, my contribution is in Swedish. I think you can find a translation somewhere in most of the links, but not all of them :slight_smile:
The first three is metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=xiVV6tGjp5U

youtube.com/watch?v=N2dq8XAGGTI&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=G9h7j6BLUdc

And one which is a bit more Christian, or two depending on how you think about it, the later one is an old story in folklore and have nothing to do with mass etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=3sg-bTNzzc4

youtube.com/watch?v=FI3iX8WtzaM

Hello!

I am a native English speaker, but am a language junkie, so I have a few songs for this list. Granted, most of the songs on this list are religious in nature. (Other than classical music, religious music is about all I listen to in my free time with a few exceptions.)

This song is called “Αγνή Παρθένε” – it is a hymn composed by St. Nectarios of Aegina. It has been translated into numerous languages. Here is the Greek. Here is the English. This song was my first exposure to Orthodoxy, by the way.

This is called “Ἄξιον ἐστίν” (it also has at the end the “Κύριε, ἐλέησον” according to a Greek style). Ἄξιον ἐστίν is a part of my morning prayers: here is the translation I use:
It is truly right to bless you, O Theotokos, ever blessed and most pure, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the cherubim and more glorious beyond compare than the seraphim, without corruption you gave birth to God the Word. True Theotokos, we magnify you.

This is in Church Slavonic and is called “Благословен јеси, Господе,” or, “Blessed be the Lord.” I have no idea what it says, but it sounds beautiful. Church Slavonic is on my to-learn list.

Here is another Greek song, a Vespers hymn from the third or fourth century. It is called “Φῶς Ἱλαρόν.” It has been translated into English under the title of “Hail Gladdening Light.”

That’s all for now! I need to get to bed as I need to get up early in the morning.

Here are some of my favourite Arabic pop songs and oldies. Transliteration from the Arabic script into the Latin alphabet is no easy task, and I’ve developed a personalized system which aims to be as faithful as possible to the sound of the words. Numbers in the text of a title represent Arabic phonemes not found in English: 2 is for أ (the glottal stop), 3 for ع (the voiced pharyngeal fricative), and 7 for ح (the voiceless pharyngeal fricative).

Without further ado (forgive annoying commercials appearing before any of these videos)…

Ayman Zbib: Ana Liya

Bassima: Weshweshni 7abiibi

Elias Rahbani: Sa2alouni il-Naas

Fairouz: Ishta2tillak

Fairouz: Ya Mokhtaar il-Makhaatiir

Fares Karam: Wislo il-3irsaan

Joseph Nassif: Raja3ta Tas2alu 3anni

Mohammed Hegazy: Asmara ya Asmara

Mohammed Iskandar: Ghorfit 3amaliyyat

Nader El Atat: 3a Mahla w Mahla

Najwa Karam: Bil-Rou7 bil-Demm

Nancy Ajram: Miin Gheiri Ana

Rabih Bitar: B7ibb A3youna

Rabih El Asmar: Samir il-Samra Jenneni

Samir Hanna: Kinna Sawa

Shaima Said: Nifs Elif

Ziad Saleh: Tayyaara

My native language is English but I know some Japanese and I love any music that is beautiful no matter what language it’s in.

Russian: youtube.com/watch?v=BXQLrkW33f0&list=PL468EEE587BF4C5CC&index=12&feature=plpp_video

Japanese: youtube.com/watch?v=gnv7cEA9hYM&list=PL468EEE587BF4C5CC&index=58&feature=plpp_video

Made up language of the composer called ‘Gablish’: youtube.com/watch?v=ur2HSWAaj-Q&list=PL468EEE587BF4C5CC&index=92&feature=plpp_video

Well first off, I’m Filipino and while I was raised to speak English by my family (and I do so pretty well in fact), I’ve heard some pretty good songs in Tagalog.

Mr. Suave by Parokya ni Edgar - Funny song. Don’t expect to catch me dead singing it though. Much less with a fake moustache. Sorry ladies. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Teacher and The Pupils by Yoyoy Villame - Another funny song. R.I.P. King of Philippine Novelty Songs. You will be missed. :frowning:

Kahit Pa
by Hale - If you could understand it, it’s actually pretty romantic. Heck, it’s what I listen to whenever I want to think of a more Filipino romantic scenario (minus the dumb stuff that fills our soap operas).

Now secondly, while I’m Filipino, I’m also an anime nut! Here, J-music galore!!! XD

Oversoul by Hayashibara Megumi - (Shaman King Opening) >B( joins friends in unleashing spirit-powered finishers

Action
from CLAMP in Wonderland - travels through a cutesy multiverse >B) suddenly notices his wallet missing D8 sees his sister running with it Oi!! D8< (Sister: :stuck_out_tongue: travels ahead into another world)

Heart of Sword by T.M. Revolution - (Samurai X Ending) finds himself in feudal Japanese world !!! is surrounded by thugs Tch… conjures own katana and takes them all out

Oh yeah, how can I forget?

Aniron
by Enya - What? Nobody here ruled out made-up languages. :stuck_out_tongue:

youtube.com/watch?v=01BPqkyQigo&list=FLdXr1jR1yO1X4cY1LhUKnIA&index=2&feature=plpp_video Parlor (Pearls) by Carolina Wallin Pérez (Cover) (Swedish)

youtube.com/watch?v=Tlp7gJmKjvU Parlor (Pearls) by Kent (Original) (Swedish)

youtube.com/watch?v=waANSqM63To Live to Forget by Firelake (Russian)

youtube.com/watch?v=DWfrDG0nmlk Forces, Susumu Hirasawa (Japanese)

youtube.com/watch?v=seV2DwFu3Lg&feature=related Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen, Susumu Hirasawa (Japanese)

youtube.com/watch?v=YhOltBB9ybw ?F? By Maximum the Hormone (Japanese)

youtube.com/watch?v=-QYbI_suVpM&feature=related Vakirauta Korpiklaani (Finish)

youtube.com/watch?v=Ct7yjVB-6XU&feature=BFa&list=PL39F92A8DB31B0E00&lf=results_video Lightning Runaway by The Pillows (English but done by a Japanese band)

I am English with a fondness for anything Welsh and Irish. I can listen to them all day.

Cerys Matthews sing Myfanwy
youtube.com/watch?v=WApx_Jrc2cQ

The young Steffan Rhys Hughes
youtube.com/watch?v=6w6qNQdT3cM

Irish folk music - Oró sé do bheatha 'bhaile by Arany Zoltán
youtube.com/watch?v=vYiG6AXbvvk&feature=related

The other language I love is BSL.
youtube.com/watch?v=9GUnnXYTIQQ

I’m a native English speaker, but much of the music I listen to comes from the European metal scene, so I have a number of songs in other languages in my collection. Here are a few of them:

Finnish
Uskon Puolesta by HB
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan by Nightwish

French
Ne Pleure Pas by Kamelot

German
Neuer Wind by Van Canto

Italian
Danza Di Fuoco E Ghiaccio by Rhapsody of Fire

Latin
Laudate Dominum by Helloween

Portuguese
Ataegina by Moonspell

The songs in Latin are religious music but the other ones are metal.

Latin
Da Pacem Domine; Fiat Pax in virtute Tua
Ego Sum Alpha et Omega
Surrexit Dominus
Dum Pater et Familias
Missa Mille Regretz - Agnus Dei by Cristobal de Morales

Gallic
Slanias Song by Eluveitie

Russian
Pokrovi Nebesnogo Startsa by Arkona.

Norwegian
Sinklars Vísa by Týr, they are from the Faroe Islands though.

Finnish
Juodaan Viinaa by Korpiklaani

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.