[music] Megadeth endorsing Santorum

Just FYI, for anyone who still thinks "heavy metal" is Satanic...

Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum for President
Source: New York Daily News

Oh yeah, Dave Mustaine is a Christian. I think he's of the non-denominational/love-Jesus-hate-religion variety, but, hey, any love for Jesus is better than none at all.

And he actually refuses to tour with any metal bands that even put across a Satanic image.

As for Santorum, I'm not at all surprised about Dave's endorsement; after all, he's a professed Bill O'Reilly fan.

On a personal note, it's funny you just posted this; I just watched the Megadeth Live in Buenos Aires DVD like 2 days ago. :) Dave was one of my musical heroes as a kid, and I still love me some Megadeth.

[quote="havana1, post:1, topic:273853"]
Just FYI, for anyone who still thinks "heavy metal" is Satanic...

[/quote]

I've never thought it was Satanic, but I have occasionally compared it to a screaming man riding a dishwasher full of rocks over a cliff.

(This is the description I've come up with after hours of my oldest brother trying to convince me that it's cool.)

Here is a song by Mercyful fate which i believe is 'heavy metal'

If a Moderator wants to delete this go ahead,i know its disgraceful and shouldnt be on a Christian forum,but i cant see how Christians say Metal isnt satanic at times if not all the time

Is this not Satanic?

Mercyful Fate The Oath Lyrics

By the Symbol of the Creator, I swear
henceforth to be
A faithful Servant of his most puissant
Arch-Angel
The Prince Lucifer
Whom the Creator designated as His
Regent
And Lord of this World, Amen.
I deny Jesus Christ, the Deceiver
And I abjure the Christian Faith
Holding in contempt all of it's Works
Solo: M.D. Solo: H.S.
As a Being now possessed of a human Body
In this World I swear to give my full
Allegiance
To it's lawful Master, to worship Him
Our Lord Satan, and no other
In the name of Satan, the ruler of Earth
Open wide the Gates of Hell and come forth
from the Abyss
By these Names: Satan, Leviathan, Belial,
Lucifer
I will kiss the Goat
Solo: H.S. Solo: M.D.
I swear to give my mind, my Body and
Soul unreservedly
To the Furtherance of our Lord Satan's
Designs
Do What Thou Wilt, Shall Be The Whole Of
The Law
As it was in the Beginning, is now, and
ever shall be
World without End, Amen.

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:4, topic:273853"]
...but i cant see how Christians say Metal isnt satanic at times if not all the time

[/quote]

But it's the lyrics and ideas which make it bad, not the style of music (or at least, I'm told it's music) to which they are, for want of a better word, "sung."

That is, you could have a Satanic polka song just as easily, but that wouldn't make polka in general Satanic.

Mercyful Fate is well-known to be Satanic. Read my post (#2). Dave Mustaine is a Christian and has backed out of extremely high-paying festivals and tours because he refuses to share a stage with bands likes this. If you think ALL metal is Satanic, I suggest you look up the lyrics to some songs by a band named STRYPER (the bands name is an acronym for "Salvation Through Redemption, Yielding Peace, Encouragement and Righteousness." Very Satanic. ;) )

There is also Satanic classical music, believe it or not. So should we condemn Mozart, Handel, etc?

Charles Manson wrote some folk tunes. I guess "Kumbayah" is out the window. :D

[quote="prodigalson2011, post:6, topic:273853"]
Mercyful Fate is well-known to be Satanic. Read my post (#2). Dave Mustaine is a Christian and has backed out of extremely high-paying festivals and tours because he refuses to share a stage with bands likes this. If you think ALL metal is Satanic, I suggest you look up the lyrics to some songs by a band named STRYPER (the bands name is an acronym for "Salvation Through Redemption, Yielding Peace, Encouragement and Righteousness." Very Satanic. ;) )

There is also Satanic classical music, believe it or not. So should we condemn Mozart, Handel, etc?

[/quote]

Ok fair enough

Howcome alot of satanism or satanic lyrics are found in Metal though?

would there be more of this Devil stuff in metal than any other music?

What about the 'Tritone'

supposedly it is 'the devil in music' and metal is said to use the tritone

i heard it invokes evil spirits also

or would it be absurd to think such a think like the devil would be involved in this
surely the devil has alot of traps in the world and has made his way through alot of cracks in this world to influence mankind

from wikip

The tritone is a restless interval, classed as a dissonance in Western music from the early Middle Ages through to the end of the common practice period. This interval was frequently avoided in medieval ecclesiastical singing because of its dissonant quality. The first explicit prohibition of it seems to occur with the development of Guido of Arezzo's hexachordal system, which made B♭ a diatonic note, namely as the fourth degree of the hexachord on F. From then until the end of the Renaissance the tritone, nicknamed the diabolus in musica, was regarded as an unstable interval and rejected as a consonance by most theorists.[14]

The name diabolus in musica ("the Devil in music") has been applied to the interval from at least the early 18th century. Johann Joseph Fux cites the phrase in his seminal 1725 work Gradus ad Parnassum, Georg Philipp Telemann in 1733 notes, "mi against fa", which the ancients called "Satan in music", and Johann Mattheson in 1739 writes that the "older singers with solmization called this pleasant interval 'mi contra fa' or 'the devil in music'".[15] Although the latter two of these authors cite the association with the devil as from the past, there are no known citations of this term from the Middle Ages, as is commonly asserted.[16] However Denis Arnold, in the The New Oxford Companion to Music, suggests that the nickname was already applied early in the medieval music itself:

It seems first to have been designated as a "dangerous" interval when Guido of Arezzo developed his system of hexachords and with the introduction of B flat as a diatonic note, at much the same time acquiring its nickname of "Diabolus in Musica" ("the devil in music").[17]

Because of that original symbolic association with the devil and its avoidance, this interval came to be heard in Western cultural convention as suggesting an "evil" connotative meaning in music. Today the interval continues to suggest an "oppressive", "scary", or "evil" sound. However, suggestions that singers were excommunicated or otherwise punished by the Church for invoking this interval are likely fanciful [citation needed]. At any rate, avoidance of the interval for musical reasons has a long history, stretching back to the parallel organum of the Musica Enchiriadis. In all these expressions, including the commonly cited "mi contra fa est diabolus in musica", the "mi" and "fa" refer to notes from two adjacent hexachords. For instance, in the tritone B-F, B would be "mi", that is the third scale degree in the "hard" hexachord beginning on G, while F would be "fa", that is the fourth scale degree in the "natural" hexachord beginning on C.

Who said Heavy Metal wasn't Satanic?It is definitely satanic,in fact all rock music is satanic.Also most genres of music other than rock are satanic,or pays homage to Satan which the evil spirit through the artist and his music blinds the minds,ears and hearts of it's fan leading them to decieve the fact that the music they listen to is not satanic.You have to be aware of Satan's trap all the time.Do remember Satan and his Agents are like wild beast's howling into each person's ear and roaming around them.If you make Jesus the Lord of your Life,then that's it.Do remember Satan can't bite you,unless you want to be bitten by it.You see no demon ever had the authority to harm Jesus eventhough it kept screaming and shouting at Jesus,he commanded them to flee.Every temptation should be avoided by calling in the Mighty Name of our Lord Jesus.,and at once the demon flees,for it fears the name and hates the name.Jesus's name is so powerful and it is highly honored and the most respected names,and every knee on Earth,Heaven and Hell will proclaim that Jesus is Lord.

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:7, topic:273853"]
Ok fair enough

Howcome alot of satanism or satanic lyrics are found in Metal though?

would there be more of this Devil stuff in metal than any other music?

What about the 'Tritone'

supposedly it is 'the devil in music' and metal is said to use the tritone

i heard it invokes evil spirits also

or would it be absurd to think such a think like the devil would be involved in this
surely the devil has alot of traps in the world and has made his way through alot of cracks in this world to influence mankind

from wikip

The tritone is a restless interval, classed as a dissonance in Western music from the early Middle Ages through to the end of the common practice period. This interval was frequently avoided in medieval ecclesiastical singing because of its dissonant quality. The first explicit prohibition of it seems to occur with the development of Guido of Arezzo's hexachordal system, which made B♭ a diatonic note, namely as the fourth degree of the hexachord on F. From then until the end of the Renaissance the tritone, nicknamed the diabolus in musica, was regarded as an unstable interval and rejected as a consonance by most theorists.[14]

The name diabolus in musica ("the Devil in music") has been applied to the interval from at least the early 18th century. Johann Joseph Fux cites the phrase in his seminal 1725 work Gradus ad Parnassum, Georg Philipp Telemann in 1733 notes, "mi against fa", which the ancients called "Satan in music", and Johann Mattheson in 1739 writes that the "older singers with solmization called this pleasant interval 'mi contra fa' or 'the devil in music'".[15] Although the latter two of these authors cite the association with the devil as from the past, there are no known citations of this term from the Middle Ages, as is commonly asserted.[16] However Denis Arnold, in the The New Oxford Companion to Music, suggests that the nickname was already applied early in the medieval music itself:

It seems first to have been designated as a "dangerous" interval when Guido of Arezzo developed his system of hexachords and with the introduction of B flat as a diatonic note, at much the same time acquiring its nickname of "Diabolus in Musica" ("the devil in music").[17]

Because of that original symbolic association with the devil and its avoidance, this interval came to be heard in Western cultural convention as suggesting an "evil" connotative meaning in music. Today the interval continues to suggest an "oppressive", "scary", or "evil" sound. However, suggestions that singers were excommunicated or otherwise punished by the Church for invoking this interval are likely fanciful [citation needed]. At any rate, avoidance of the interval for musical reasons has a long history, stretching back to the parallel organum of the Musica Enchiriadis. In all these expressions, including the commonly cited "mi contra fa est diabolus in musica", the "mi" and "fa" refer to notes from two adjacent hexachords. For instance, in the tritone B-F, B would be "mi", that is the third scale degree in the "hard" hexachord beginning on G, while F would be "fa", that is the fourth scale degree in the "natural" hexachord beginning on C.

[/quote]

The tritone (devil's interval) is a lowered fifth or augmented fourth. In any key, the fifth and fourth are the most perfect interval besides the octave (which is the same as the first note.) Two notes of the same value (a high and low C for example) make the same essential sound because their frequencies are perfectly doubled. Now, the fifth, for example has a perfect 3:2 ratio with the root note. That is, it vibrates exactly 3 times in the time the root note vibrates twice. Consequently, there is little harmonic contrast between them. They sound like one thick note. The inverse holds for a perfect fourth. When you drop the fifth or raise the fourth an interval, you get the devil's tritone. This is because you are now situated between two perfect intervals, and it creates a lot of dissonance. It's simply physics. The old "devil's interval" idea is superstition and has been done away with years ago.

As for metal, yes it does contain considerably more Satanic themes, etc. though a lot of it is tongue in cheek; still, some of it (Mercyful Fate, for instance) is serious.

But this still means nothing. Satanists have churches and masses. What does this mean for Christianity?

Im pretty sure the purpose of this thread was NOT to debate whether or not heavy metal is evil. Holy thread derailment Batman!

[quote="mini_me640, post:10, topic:273853"]
Im pretty sure the purpose of this thread was NOT to debate whether or not heavy metal is evil. Holy thread derailment Batman!

[/quote]

But why pass up a perfectly good opportunity to spread conjecture, hearsay, and innuendo? :rolleyes:

I knew I liked Dave Mustaine for a reason. :)

It's always cool to see public figures have conversions, especially ones that people wouldn't expect. :thumbsup:

[quote="mini_me640, post:10, topic:273853"]

[/quote]

Well, I'd say the OP's inclusion of the the phrase "for those who still think heavy metal is Satanic," kinda opened the doors for that debate, in addition to discussion of Mr. Mustaine political proclivities.

So back to Dave. Seeing him in interviews since his conversion, he seems like he'd be a super cool guy to know. His personality is so relaxed and affable; it's the polar opposite of the thrash metal ethic that he pretty much invented.

[quote="Iron_Donkey, post:3, topic:273853"]
I have occasionally compared it to a screaming man riding a dishwasher full of rocks over a cliff.

[/quote]

You made me giggle! Thanks for that!

And I'm definately going to borrow the comparison!!

Not only is Dave Mustaine a Christian, but the bassist, David Ellefson, has just recently enrolled in a Lutheran seminary to become a pastor.

And Megadeth never really did all the "screaming" type of metal anyway.;)

[quote="Rand_Al_Thor, post:14, topic:273853"]
Not only is Dave Mustaine a Christian, but the bassist, David Ellefson, has just recently enrolled in a Lutheran seminary to become a pastor.

And Megadeth never really did all the "screaming" type of metal anyway.;)

[/quote]

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

And yeah, screaming has never been a part of Dave Mustaine's repertoire. Growling and snarling a little, yeah. But, gravelly as his voice may be, the man can pen a great melody. The choruses to "Symphony of Destruction" and "Angry Again" spring to mind. :)
Not to mention his compositional skills. The opening of "Diadems" remains one of my favorite minutes of music.

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:4, topic:273853"]
Here is a song by Mercyful fate which i believe is 'heavy metal'....

[/quote]

And here's me reminding you that the thread title is "Megadeth endorsing Santorum." If you'd like to discuss another band and another topic unrelated to the endorsement of Rick Santorum, you are certainly welcome to start a new thread. Thanks. :)

[quote="havana1, post:16, topic:273853"]
And here's me reminding you that the thread title is "Megadeth endorsing Santorum." If you'd like to discuss another band and another topic unrelated to the endorsement of Rick Santorum, you are certainly welcome to start a new thread. Thanks. :)

[/quote]

And you started your post by saying "For anyone who thinks heavy metal is satanic"

anyway i dont believe in fighting -sorry for derailing ,Peace

[quote="Joe_5859, post:11, topic:273853"]
But why pass up a perfectly good opportunity to spread conjecture, hearsay, and innuendo? :rolleyes:

I knew I liked Dave Mustaine for a reason. :)

It's always cool to see public figures have conversions, especially ones that people wouldn't expect. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:D:p:)

Good for Dave!!!

I don't really share his admiration for bill O'Reilly, but on this he's right on.

There IS Christianity in Heavy Metal.

Yep.

Indeed.

[quote="prodigalson2011, post:6, topic:273853"]

[/quote]

Indeed.

The poster is TOTALLY ignoring Christian Metal.

Which is awesome in many ways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.