MUSIC: No Line on the Horizon

Finally, U2’s latest album is here! I thoroughly enjoy it, but I still rank it slightly below their last one How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. That is really their only album that I actually like every single song and I will listen to it all the way through.

This album, on the other hand, has at least a couple duds. They excel, however, in the album’s title track, as well as with “Magnificent”, “Moment of Surrender”, and “Breathe”. Many of the songs would have been good if they were not so overtly political, but not a horrible album all in all.

8/10 :thumbsup:

I think it’s their second best album, behind The Joshua Tree. I hated the first single, “Get On Your Boots” when it was released, and was really worried that they had completely changed their sound. Then I heard the perform the song live on the Grammys and I loved it.
This album takes a few listens, and while it may not be one that does well on the charts I think it will be one of their more enduring albums.
“Moment of Surrender” is I think their best song ever. It’s just sheer brilliance. I’ve never said this about a song, but it almost brings me to tears. The lyrics are very fitting with my situation in life right now.
I don’t mind the political message in their songs, I like listening to artists that have something real to say, it’s a nice change.
Did you notice that the melody on the song “White As Snow” is “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”?

Whoa, this album is so much better than atomic bomb. I think atomic bomb will always be U2’s weakest album. It took me four listens to really get Horizon, and I think it’s a well-produced album. They were going to work with Rubin on it, but changed their minds…well it worked. Pop is still U2’s best album, and that was the one they spent the least amount of time on.

Changed “for listens” to “four listens.”:thumbsup:

Wow. I must be alone. The music on NLotH completely bored me.

And, I only paid $3.99 to download it from Amazon! If I can’t get excited about music for nearly free, it must not appeal to me much.

I think it just really comes down to personal taste. My brother is a die hard U2 fan like myself, but he isn’t all that crazy about this new album. I’m more into their old stuff, he’s more into their albums like All That You Can’t Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

They also have a new album coming out in the coming months: Songs of Ascent. It’s basically the leftover songs from Atomic Bomb and Horizon. Plus Bono and the Edge are working on the music for Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark, an upcoming broadway musical. So these guys aren’t going away anytime soon.

Great news. I let my mom listen to NLOTH, and she likes it better than their last album too. It is cool to see who likes/dislikes what and why. I’m not sure which U2 my mom likes most concerning early and late U2. By the way, I think Coldplay could’ve totally done better with Viva la Vida…for me that is their worst album, but it is still good.

No Line on the Horizon is a great album. It does take a couple of listens at first, but there ae some great songs on it. The first few times I hear “Get on Your Boots” it was definitely a shift to a very pop heavy song, but has a lot of rock influence in it and is catchy. “Magnificent” is by far the best song on the album, No Line on the Horizon is a close second and I personally like “Breathe” and “Fez-Being Born” (I like the instrumental type songs). It was a long waited time since the last album and can’t wait to see what they have up their sleeves next!

:thumbsup:

Seems we won’t have to wait too long for their next album

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.