Music that is "Catholic" but not "Religious"

I was thinking yesterday while tuning the radio in the car about songs that represent a Catholic view of the world, but are not usually considered "religious" music by radio programmers.

Some ones that occured to me:

1) "Let the Day Begin" by The Call - a song that reads like a prayer, both of thanks for all of creation and of concern and love for our fellow man.

2) "Laughing With" by Regina Spektor - a thoughtful (and a little heartbreaking) song about our relations with God - Spektor sings about how people often don't think about God when times are good, or laugh at distorted conceptions of Him, but instinctively turn to Him when "the doctor calls after some routine tests," or "it's got real late, and your kid's not gotten back from the party yet..."

3) "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" by The Four Tops - Could be interpreted as a man singing to an estranged lover whom he still cares for, or a mother or father singing to a child, or the words of Jesus comforting us all. Great song.

Any others you can think of?

Worlds Apart by Jars of Clay

I should probably add, the performers and writers of these songs are not necessarily Catholic, BTW.

[quote="Arizona_Mike, post:1, topic:258766"]

"Let the Day Begin" by The Call - a song that reads like a prayer, both of thanks for all of creation and of concern and love for our fellow man.

[/quote]

What about "Begin The Begin" by R.E.M. and 80's "one-hit-wonder" Mr. Mister's version of "Kyrie"? (Mr. Mister was from Phoenix and were Catholic.) Also, "Times Like These" by Foo Fighters - especially the acoustic version - fits your criteria, as does the acoustic version of "Angel's Wings" by Social Distortion.

Thanks, Havana1, I’ll check those out. How did I not know that Mr. Mister was from Phoenix/Catholic?

I remember when “Kyrie Eleison” first came out, a local disc jockey said someone called the request line and said he wanted to hear that new song, “Rip Her Legs Off”. It took him a while before figuring out he completely misheard the title of Mr. Mister’s hit.

I used “I Won’t Back Down” by Tom Petty in my CCD class when we were talking about how it’s not always easy to follow the Lord, that doing the right thing will sometimes make us unpopular, etc. They responded to it quite well :slight_smile:

I was just listening to The Carpenters song, On Top Of The World and came across this thread.

Everything I want the world to be
Is now coming true especially for me
And the reason is clear
It’s because you are here
You’re the nearest thing to heaven that I’ve seen

I’m on the top of the world lookin’ down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I’ve found ever since you’ve been around
Your love’s put me at the top of the world

Creation, heaven and love all in one song. God bless them.

A good deal of song's on Thrice's newer album (Alchemy Index III & IV) seem to be what you're describe. The songwriters draws liberally from the Gospel but has repeatedly insisted that the songs are not religious in nature. That being said with lyrics like these....

(Taken from "Come All Ye Weary")

Come all you weary with your heavy loads
Lay down your burdens find rest for your souls
Cause my yoke is easy and my burden is kind
I’ll take yours upon me and you can take mine

It becomes difficult to not see a connection.

[quote="Mungling, post:8, topic:258766"]
A good deal of song's on Thrice's newer album (Alchemy Index III & IV) seem to be what you're describe. The songwriters draws liberally from the Gospel but has repeatedly insisted that the songs are not religious in nature. That being said with lyrics like these....

(Taken from "Come All Ye Weary")

Come all you weary with your heavy loads
Lay down your burdens find rest for your souls
Cause my yoke is easy and my burden is kind
I’ll take yours upon me and you can take mine

It becomes difficult to not see a connection.

[/quote]

I'll check that out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.