MUSIC: Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Any TSO fans here? They just released a new album (Night Castle) a few weeks ago. It’s pretty good, if you’re into that sort of thing. :slight_smile:

I’d have to say that “pretty good” is a bit of an understatement. TSO are downright phenomenal. Beethoven’s Last Night is still my favorite of all their album, and is one of the greatest albums I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to, regardless of genre.

Just my humble opinion. :smiley:

-CK

I agree, I just didn’t want to scare potential posters away with my enthusiasm. :smiley: BLN is my favorite album of theirs as well (and one of my favorite albums, period). Awesome stuff. How can you not like a rockin’ version of Beethoven’s Fifth? :slight_smile:

Are you familiar with Savatage? The Savatage song “Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24” is what spawned the whole TSO entity. The Savatage albums “Dead Winter Dead” and “The Wake of Magellan” are the most TSO-esque, DWD actually containing the popular “Christmas Eve” song. It’s one of my favorite albums as well.

I’m familiar with the name Savatage. I haven’t heard any of their music, though. At least not to my knowledge. I’ll look up your suggestions on iTunes later tonight. It only makes sense that they would be awesome, given how well they play as a part of TSO.

Sorry if I blew the whole “subtle sell” approach with my enthusiasm. I haven’t had a chance to read the story behind Night Castle yet, so I’m not sure how it stacks up with BLN. It really is an excellent album, though, even without knowing the story.

-CK

No need to apologize for your enthusiasm. :wink:

If you’re familiar with TSO, you’ve heard some Savatage already. :slight_smile: The “Christmas Eve” song from the Christmas Eve and Other Stories (1997) is liften straight from Dead Winter Dead (1995). It’s the exact same song.

On Night Castle, there are several Savatage songs that make an appearance. “The Mountain” is an extended version of “Prelude to Madness” off their 1987 album Hall of the Mountain King. “Mozart and Memories” is an extended version of “Mozart and Madness” off of Dead Winter Dead, and “Believe” is a re-recording of the track of the same name from their 1991 album Streets: A Rock Opera.

Savatage’s first four albums are not quite the same, but once Paul O’Neil came on board as their producer with Hall of the Mountain King, they start to do more interesting stuff. It took me a while to appreciate Jon Oliva’s vocals (he sings the part of Mephistopholes on Beethoven’s Last Night). I think that I like Dead Winter Dead and The Wake of Magellan (both rock operas) better that their other rock opera, Streets, because Oliva is not the primary singer (the more aestheitcally pleasing Zak Stevens sings instead). As the years have gone by, though, I’ve gotten to like Oliva a bit more.

Now my enthusiasm is showing through. Savatage has been one of my favorite bands since before TSO ever came about. :o

If you’re searching through iTunes, I would also recommend the song “Chance” from their album Handful of Rain. It is the first time the band utilized the counterpoint vocals that became a staple of their subsequent albums both as Savatage and TSO. The song is about Chiune Sugihara, a Japanese diplomat in Lithuania during World War II who defied government orders by signing exit visas for thousands of Jewish refugees.

I LOVE the group. I do not have the new CD yet. I play Christmas eve in Sarajevo so much on the holidays that I am surprised I have not worn it out.

TSO! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Yeah, I'm a fan. They are majorly awesome. :D

Coolest thing about TSO (IMHO): their 1996 album (Christmas Eve and Other Stories) tells an entire story about an angel carrying out a mission from God. It's actually a really great story (even though it's clearly fictional), and if you haven't listened to the entire album straight through, I would highly recommend doing so.

Alternatively, you could just read the cover insert, but what fun would that be?

[quote="musicality, post:8, topic:176622"]
Coolest thing about TSO (IMHO): their 1996 album (Christmas Eve and Other Stories) tells an entire story about an angel carrying out a mission from God. It's actually a really great story (even though it's clearly fictional), and if you haven't listened to the entire album straight through, I would highly recommend doing so.

Alternatively, you could just read the cover insert, but what fun would that be?

[/quote]

Indeed. All their albums tell a story, but (of their Christmas albums), I think I like the story on Christmas Eve and Other Stories the best. If you read through the booklet while listening, you get a lot of extra "lyrics", too. :)

I officially kick off my Christmas music season with "Christmas Canon"... I get all choked up and filmy eyed!

For anyone here who enjoys some good hard rockin’ Christmas music, one of my new favorites is Rudolph vs. Frosty by Theocracy. Best of all, you can download the song for free from their website (along with all of their past Christmas songs). A bit different than TSO, but still fun. :slight_smile:

I love their Christmas in Sarajevo song but that's really all I know by them.

Became a fan after reading this thread and checking them out :smiley:

[quote="arvinsim, post:13, topic:176622"]
Became a fan after reading this thread and checking them out :D

[/quote]

Welcome to the club! :wave:

;)

For those of ya that like TSO, the song Believe, I know that Savatage was the group who made the song, but what does the song mean?

Well, as with many things in art, it’s somewhat open to interpretation.

The song is the climactic final song on their album “Streets: A Rock Opera”. As the album title suggests, the whole album tells the story of a washed out rock star who rises to fame once again, only to fall again. In that context, the song is somewhat the protagonist’s moment of self-revelation as to moving forward with life.

I’ve always looked at is as a quasi-Christian sort of song, whether or not that was the original intent. Savatage has a few of those.

The song (and really most of the “Streets” album) was actually originally conceived by their producer Paul O’Neill to be part of a Broadway show he was working on. Instead it became a Savatage album. :slight_smile:

Yea. I remember first hearing about them, during the internet video circulation of a house with Christmas lights in sync with their song Wizards in Winter.

Not sure if that was done on purpose by them:rolleyes: but got me interested in them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.