Musicals Featuring Gays/Cross-Dressing/Risque Material

Hi there

I'm a huge fan of musicals and some of my favourites happen to feature gays/cross-dressing and other material that isn't suitable for children. I was wondering what is the thoughts on them. The two musicals I'm referring to are "RENT" and "The Rocky Horror Show."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_%28musical%29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Show

To me they both have good messages in them, they just use risque material to achieve it. Is it wrong for me to enjoy the shows?

I am a huge fan of musicals as well! I love Rent and Rocky Horror Picture show. I don't think it's wrong to watch them, as long as you don't find them arousing or watch them with children in the room I would not think it is wrong. I love gaudy, burlesque style musicals, they are caricatures of personality types. I hope this does not make me wrong or sinful, I simply embrace celebrations of life and all of its oddities when expressed through art. These things do not dominate my leisure time, but there is nothing like watching Rocky Horror Picture Show with good friends on Halloween night!

[quote="themeginthemoon, post:2, topic:229147"]
I am a huge fan of musicals as well! I love Rent and Rocky Horror Picture show. I don't think it's wrong to watch them, as long as you don't find them arousing or watch them with children in the room I would not think it is wrong. I love gaudy, burlesque style musicals, they are caricatures of personality types. I hope this does not make me wrong or sinful, I simply embrace celebrations of life and all of its oddities when expressed through art. These things do not dominate my leisure time, but there is nothing like watching Rocky Horror Picture Show with good friends on Halloween night!

[/quote]

Neither of them turn me on sexually or anything, that's why I think it's OK to watch them. Actually the message that's sent through Rocky Horror is pretty good as Frank is pure temptation and giving into temptation and at the end we see the innocent Brad and Janet left confused after giving in to temptation. In fact, during "Rose Tint My World" it's revealed that Brad has had too much while Janet likes it. I find it gives a cmplex message, depending on how you look at it.

Rocky Horror is just awkward, crazy, fun. Nothing wrong with loving it. It's amazing, a classic. And there's nothing quite like a midnight get together to watch it. XD

Don't forget the toast throwing :D Did anyone else ever make to a live show? And Suni, I enjoyed your signature. I am a lover of science and psychology as well.

With all due respect, you guys are scaring me.

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:6, topic:229147"]
With all due respect, you guys are scaring me.

[/quote]

How so?

And I never made a live show of either of them. The only musical I ever saw on Broadway was Wicked.

[quote="Untruth, post:7, topic:229147"]
How so?

And I never made a live show of either of them. The only musical I ever saw on Broadway was Wicked.

[/quote]

I think Luigi means that not all of us are comfortable with the prospect of midnight showings of Tim Curry in...interesting...outfits where food is hurled. :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.