Musicians you discovered through the Internet

When MTV actually played videos 24/7, I loved how it opened my ears to artists. Now that they've gone stupid, I've learned that the Internet can be an even better source for acts that deserve more attention. So, who are some great acts you've discovered through the Internet? Here are some of mine:
Cranes (dream pop band. Nice instrumentation)
Within Temptation (kinda like Evanescense)
Skillet (you folks know these guys. Actually, I heard their song Monster on a WWE commercial and checked them out afterward)
Velvet Revolver (What do you get when you replace GNR's lead singer with Scott Weiland from STP? This!)
Cage the Elephant (if you've played Borderlands, you know them. They do the song "Ain't No Rest For the Wicked")
Anberlin (I'm sure some of you are already familiar with this act, since they're Christian Rock)
Augustana (pretty good stuff)
1,000 Year Old Crutch (The loudest Christian Rock band I know)
Falling Up (sister band for Kutless)
Them Crooked Vultures (features rock god John Paul Jones from LED ZEPPELIN!:rock:)

Pretty much everything I listen to I discovered via the internet and/or online connections.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, I'd find stuff via eMpTyVee (;)), and the local hard rock radio station, but after the radio station kicked the bucket in 1994, I went online.

The two main bands my brother and I discovered BI (before internet) were Savatage and Dream Theater. He had seen a Dream Theater video on MTV and I loved one of the Savatage songs I heard on the radio.

Then an online friend of a friend mentioned that, if we liked Dream Theater and Europe (two bands we liked a lot but are both very different), we would like Stratovarius. So we looked at their website and found a handy "links" section for similar bands where we were introduced to Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian. Via the Gamma Ray website, we were introduced to even more bands like Kamelot (pre-Kahn! :eek:), Helloween, and Iced Earth.

Concurrently, the Savatage website introduced us to similar bands such as Morgana Lefay and Skyclad.

Ever since then, every band I like from Rhapsody of Fire to Nightwish to Royal Hunt to Sonata Arctica has come via connections to other bands and/or online recommendations. Of course, now in the age of MySpace and YouTube, it's possible to actually listen to bands before buying their albums. Back in the day, I bought many an album completely cold. Of course, that didn't always work out (Mortification, I'm looking at you :p), but I did find many great bands that way.

Secret Garden,
Clannad,
Medevil Babes,
I like alternative and classical music mostly.

I'm only 17, so a lot of the bands I discovered online are oldies.

I discovered:
Julian Lennon, mostly just the song "Lucy"
Traveling Wilburys, a supergroup with George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Obirson
Grateful Dead- I'm just getting into them

Two bad both the Travelling Wilburys and Grateful Dead each have at least one dead member.

Hmm…interesting question…music I discovered through the internet? Practically everything I love lately: Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, Gaslight Anthem, She & Him (and M. Ward’s and Zooey Deschanel’s solo stuff), Of Montreal, The National, Surfer Blood, Titus Andronicus, Screaming Females, Wakey! Wakey!, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, all the cool stuff coming out of England (Kate Nash, Eliza Doolittle, Lilly Allen, Adele). I don’t like Pandora, but I do like discovering new music on the internet: it’s the new “radio.” :thumbsup:

I would say Epica.

Alison Krauss......and Union Station ("A Living Prayer" etc).
Secret Garden.
The Wolfe Tones (Listen to "Michael Collins".)......and similar.
Ahmed The Dead Terrorist and Guitar Guy. They have a good version of "Jingle Bombs"!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.