Muslim-Americans on edge

Muslim-Americans who sued the New York Police Department over a surveillance program launched after 9/11 say calls from the Republican presidential campaign to put them under more scrutiny are seizing on public fears and distressing Muslims in the U.S.

As national security has become a focus in the 2016 race after the Paris attacks, Donald Trump has declared “we’re being foolish, we’re kidding ourselves” if law enforcement doesn’t keep close surveillance on mosques, and he expressed support for the idea of a database for tracking Muslims in the United States. Another GOP contender, Ben Carson, said mosques, schools, supermarkets and “any place where radicalization is going on” should be monitored.

Such rhetoric is “reckless and ignorant,” said attorney Baher Azmy, who is representing Muslim-Americans who sued the NYPD.

timesunion.com/local/article/Muslim-Americans-on-edge-6655482.php

I guess if the Muslim Americans are not listening to Imams preaching radical Islam and are not attending any meetings of those promoting radical Islam they needn’t worry.

Another GOP contender, Ben Carson, said mosques, schools, supermarkets and “any place where radicalization is going on” should be monitored.

But since radicalization can potentially go on anywhere what do we do? Put the entire population of the US under a police-state regime?

It is their fault for listening to trumped up sensationalist nonsense.

The problem is knee jerk reactions to each situation dose not give a cure, basically looking at bandaging severed limbs.

We have to go for the big picture, get the Only Doctor able to treat this and go with His Wisdom :wink: God help us all!

This passage from the Baha’i Writings tell of the helplessness of our times

“O ye the elected representatives of the people in every land! Take ye counsel together, and let your concern be only for that which profiteth mankind, and bettereth the condition thereof, if ye be of them that scan heedfully. Regard the world as the human body which, though at its creation whole and perfect, hath been afflicted, through various causes, with grave disorders and maladies. Not for one day did it gain ease, nay its sickness waxed more severe, as it fell under the treatment of ignorant physicians, who gave full rein to their personal desires, and have erred grievously. And if, at one time, through the care of an able physician, a member of that body was healed, the rest remained afflicted as before. Thus informeth you the All-Knowing, the All-Wise…That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith. This can in no wise be achieved except through the power of a skilled, an all-powerful and inspired Physician. This, verily, is the truth, and all else naught but error”.

This we have to find this Unity, humanity will continue to decline unless we start implementing a Unity of Action and forget trying to use bandages.

Can it be done, yes and it will be :thumbsup:

Regards Tony

This is true with a big BUT. New York has a big criminal justice system, it’s very easy to get lost in it. Any one who has any black friends or colleagues knows what unprovoked stops are like and their frequency and how things can go south real quick. While I understand your sentiment my heart goes out for the innocent middle eastern descent Islamic and Christian people who are going to suffer on behalf of a small amount of power crazy wackos. These are very scary times.

Facts are facts, as to why people do various things well that is another matter, but the reality is that if one group of people, identifiable by some means are doing some very bad things then I expect that the police will focus on that group and put more resources monitoring,investigating etc. THAT GROUP. We all do that everyday in our own lives on matters, we all discriminate every day on the basis of risk assessment.

I live in Australia and I have many muslim friends/aquaintences etc from places like Indonesia as well, yet even though I realise that the majority of them are just like you and me, the reality is that a large minority within that group are not like you and me and I expect that the government will spend more time monitoring those muslim groups, because relatively speaking, that is where the risk is greatest.

Funny, but I think ignoring the very real threat of terrorism and not taking appropriate measures to prevent it is ignorant and reckless.

The truth is, that many if not most of these violent acts have been associated with a belief that it somehow is consistent with Muslim teaching. The number of radical Muslims is not a small number and many are determined to kill others who may not share their theology.

If more moderate Muslims would actively and openly oppose radical Islam, there may be a greater willingness to be less suspicious. As it stands, radical Islam as it is presently understood is pure evil and it is the responsibility of our government to protect it’s citizens.

So, how many nations in the middle East are willing to accept refugees. I wonder if their (Muslim) citizens are being scrutinized.

I vote that we establish a protected stretch of land in or near Syria for them to live on. I am hopeful that our leaders will take whatever means necessary to thwart any and all terrorist attempts…For this, I will be the first to write a check…

Much ado about little, ISTM. From 18 years ago:

washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/oklahoma/stories/militia.htm

McVeigh’s deadly act of terror brought unwelcome attention to paramilitary units that once existed in nearly every state and were ready to wage war with federal agents – whom they saw as poised to grab their guns and crush their civil rights. Militia ranks grew dramatically after the bloody FBI sieges at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, and near Waco, Tex. – events that McVeigh’s lawyers said motivated his rage – but the groups now appear to be far less active, and their existence doesn’t generally worry the FBI.

When extremists act, it brings scrutiny, in and around their perceived circle.

Jon

Heck, having police officers at our mosques would be wonderful. It’d give us more opportunities for dawah. They need salvation as much as anyone else does. :slight_smile:

This is something I struggle with; if I heard rumors that someone in my parish was “up to no good” (making threats, advocating violence, etc) you can be sure I would 1) inform our priest & advisory board, and 2) alert authorities. Obviously, it would be the right thing to do!

So I wonder…are members of a mosque that had “radical” members in denial? Are they being coerced into remaining silent? If so, is their silence not making the situation worse? Wouldn’t non-Muslims be right to not trust them…?

So, how many nations in the middle East are willing to accept refugees. I wonder if their (Muslim) citizens are being scrutinized

I also wonder why so many Muslims are immigrating to Europe. Wouldn’t it make more sense to go to other Muslim-majority countries? Similar culture, religion, language, etc.

You have stated the problem of the world without knowing all are attributing to it.

The complete Unity of Mankind is where we must head, we are one human race under One God. Differences are of our won making.

“The Earth is But one Country and Mankind its Citizens” are the healing words we need.

This is what we need to work for and make it happen :thumbsup:

Regards Tony

And surveillance can actually provide protection…but then I don’t think Martin Luther King benefited from that surveillance by the FBI.

I sincerely wonder if these terror attacks aren’t being aimed more at terrorizing the refugee muslim populations more than the nations they are staged in…the ISICK way of saying, " we can get you any time we want to"

I’m thinking you just articulated 60 % of the voting public in the U.S…
…It’s probably going to happen…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.