Muslim beliefs / contradictions

Is there anything that Muslims believe that are not in the Quran?

Or for a better example, is there any doctrinal practice or belief that contradicts the Quran?

Or better yet, does the Quran contradict itself?

There are hadith, which are statements of approval or disapproval attributed to Muhammad and not found in the Qur’an. The hadith are used to interpret the Qur’an but do not contradict it although certain hadith may, at times, appear to contradict one another. Internal contradictions within the Qur’an can be explained in much the same manner that internal contradictions found in the Hebrew Bible and the Gospels are explained.

So then, not all of the Quran is to be taken literally?

It’s just confusing on the outside looking in…

This lengthy analysis biblestudying.net/islam1.html explains why Islam contradicts itself.

Praying five times a day, I believe, i not in the Qur’an.

Or for a better example, is there any doctrinal practice or belief that contradicts the Quran?

The Qur’an claims that Muhammad was not sent by God to perform miracles, but in the Hadith miracles are recounted that he ostensibly performed.

Or better yet, does the Quran contradict itself?

Apparent contradictions that can be resolved upon further scrutiny exist in the Bible, so we have to be careful in this area.

Muslims have their early scholars and theologians who would engage in Qur’anic commentary, like Catholics and Orthodox have the Early Church Fathers who examined parts of the Bible. The different schools within Sunni and Shi’a Islam (with one or two exceptions, such as the Hanbali school found chiefly in Saudi Arabia) accord the thinkers of the first few centuries of their faith a decent level of respect.

So, much of Sunni Islam leans toward a Sacred Scripture/Sacred Tradition paradigm even without the kind of hierarchical structure that Shi’a Islam has.

Actually there are various verses in the Qur’an which if taken together indicate that 5 times a day is the correct number of times to pray.

Yes, the exact form of prayer isn’t in the Qur’an (this is believed to be an oral tradition passed down through the generations based on what the Prophet himself did)

As to Muhammad and miracles, I would love a chapter/verse which states what you are stating here. Nearly all the prophets are credited with miracles of one sort or another, from Musa (Moses) splitting the Red Sea to 'Isa (Jesus) healing the sick. Most Muslims cite the revelation of the Qur’an to Muhammad to be the sole miracle which can be attributed to him.

Quran: 7:188

Sahih International: Say, “I hold not for myself [the power of] benefit or harm, except what Allah has willed. And if I knew the unseen, I could have acquired much wealth, and no harm would have touched me.** I am not except a warner and a bringer of good tidings to a people who believe.”**

Pickthall: Say: For myself I have no power to benefit, nor power to hurt, save that which Allah willeth. Had I knowledge of the Unseen, I should have abundance of wealth, and adversity would not touch me. I am but a warner, and a bearer of good tidings unto folk who believe.

Yusuf Ali: Say: "I have no power over any good or harm to myself except as Allah willeth. If I had knowledge of the unseen, I should have multiplied all good, and no evil should have touched me: I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings to those who have faith."

Shakir: Say: I do not control any benefit or harm for my own soul except as Allah please; and had I known the unseen I would have had much of good and no evil would have touched me; I am nothing but a warner and the giver of good news to a people who believe.

Muhammad Sarwar: (Muhammad), say, "I have no control over my benefits or sufferings, without the will of God. Had I known about the unseen, I would have gained much good and would have faced no suffering. I am only a warner and I preach the glad news to the believing people."

Mohsin Khan: Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I possess no power of benefit or hurt to myself except as Allah wills. If I had the knowledge of the Ghaib (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touched me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe."

Arberry: Say: 'I have no power to profit for myself; or hurt, but as God will. Had I knowledge of the Unseen I would have acquired much good, and evil would not have touched me. I am only a warner, and a bearer of good tidings, to a people believing.'

Jakasaki–isn’t there an account in the Qur’an where a group asks for (demand?) a miracle from Muhammad, and he says that he was only sent as a “warner”, not to do miracles?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.