Muslim History vs Western Fantasy: The ‘Refugee Crisis’ in Context

A brilliant dissection of Western and Islamic interpretations of history.

A key excerpt:

*One of the primary reasons Islamic and Western nations are “worlds apart” is because the way they understand the world is worlds apart. Whereas Muslims see the world through the lens of history, the West has jettisoned or rewritten history to suit its ideologies.

This dichotomy of Muslim and Western thinking is evident everywhere. When the Islamic State declared that it will “conquer Rome” and “break its crosses,” few in the West realized that those are the verbatim words and goals of Islam’s founder and his companions as recorded in Muslim sources—words and goals that prompted over a thousand years of jihad on Europe.

Full article:

humanevents.com/2015/10/02/muslim-history-vs-western-fantasy-the-refugee-crisis-in-context/

I’m reminded of identical types of articles which, instead of selectively quoting the Koran, do precisely the same thing with the Talmud.

It strikes me as fear-mongering more than anything else, but with a grain of truth, as well.

This is the part that needs to be emphasized:

It is often said that those who ignore history are destined to repeat it. What does one say of those who rewrite history in a way that demonizes their ancestors while whitewashing the crimes of their forebears’ enemies?

The result is before us. History is not repeating itself; sword waving Muslims are not militarily conquering Europe. Rather, they are being allowed to walk right in.

Perhaps a new aphorism needs to be coined for our times: Those who forget or ignore history are destined to be conquered by those who remember and praise it.

First, every quote taken from any source at any time is selective. If criticism is leveled against a text because of its use of quotes, then all scholarship has to be dismissed.

Secondly, the argument put forth in this article is mostly true. Based on my experience with actual Muslims from the Middle East, I conclude that most of them believe that Islam should and will conquer the world. To them it is not some extremist narrative, but simply a statement of fact.
Example: an Egyptian friend used to refer to the Arab invasion of Egypt in the 7th century as “liberation”. According to this theory, the Muslims simply freed the Egyptian from themselves. This sentiment is not unique. Muslims believe that they will liberate the world.

The folks I encounter are not terrorists or jihadis. They are Sunni Muslims.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.