Muslim parent upset over school flyer promoting church's Easter egg hunt

Some Muslim parents are concerned about public schools in Dearborn handing out flyers to all students advertising an Easter egg hunt, saying it violates the principle of church and state separation.

freep.com/article/20140404/NEWS05/304040016/Muslim-parents-upset-over-flier-promoting-Easter-egg-hunt-at-church

Is this really a violation of separation of church and state just because the event was to take place at a church even though it wasn’t a religious event? :shrug:

“It would be one thing if this were an Easter egg hunt in an otherwise secular setting,” say, the White House Easter egg hunt, he said. “But this invitation was for an Easter egg hunt at a Christian church — and so the event has much clearer religious connotations. Context matters.”

I think that is a good point. Easter egg traditions are primarily secular, but are related to Christian beliefs. If the Dearborn Public Schools were to sponsor an Easter egg hunt on their school grounds, I think that would minimize objections.

Dearborn Public Schools needs to step up. If they want to offer its students an Easter egg hunt, then the schools should provide it. Outsourcing it to a Christian church brings in religious concerns which could otherwise be avoided.

Ahhhh yes. And I distinctly recall sitting at home one night watching, “All American Muslim”, as a Coach in one of the Dearborn public schools lead a locker room Islamic prayer with the team while the few atheists and Christians just kind of sat it out in the background.

Or the case of the Boston public school that took their middle schoolers on a field trip to a Mosque where they were given a religious talk and even instructed on the proper way to prostrate for prayer before Allah and take part in said prostration.

Could you imagine a middle school class visiting a Catholic Church for an hour long Catechesis and then witnessing a consecration where the students were all instructed to kneel before the Eucharist? I’m pretty sure there would be Senate hearings and media hand wringing all the way to the Supreme Court if such a thing ever occurred.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause_of_the_First_Amendment
[quote=
]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause_of_the_First_Amendment]The

Establishment Clause is the first of several pronouncements in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, stating,
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. . . .
The Establishment Clause is immediately followed by the Free Exercise Clause, which states, “or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. These two clauses make up what are called the “Religion Clauses” of the First Amendment

[/quote]

Some of us may not realize that “separation of church and state” doesn’t quite define the “establishment clause” accurately
And that’s apparently why it gets abused so much by atheists and the like …
they forget about the part that reads:
"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof:;
And both clauses are dependent on: “Congress shall make no law”.

PS:
Didn’t try to apply it here, but maybe someone else can.

rex

Hmm, I wonder if any event flyers are ever approved to be promoted at Dearborn schools that take place at a mosque or other Islamic center? Pardon my naked skepticism at their “principled” objection.

The church has made it clear that this is not a religious event. It is a secular event held on church property. If you don’t want your child to go, then don’t let your child go! There are no victims here. :blush:

I am reminded of a situation in Sydney Australia some years ago where a Muslim patient at St Vincent’s Hospital, one of the best in Sydney owned and run by a group of Holy nursing nuns, protested at the crucifix in his room. He started an action to remove all crucifixes from every public room.
The nuns took a thoughtful and considered evaluation of this demand and told him to go elsewhere for treatment in an environment more in keeping with his religious views. Catholic hospitals that support about one third of the Australian Health system remain Catholic much to the hatred of the pro-abortionists who hate to see government money going to their essential contribution.
Reminds me when the same question of State government funding was first demanded by the Catholics to support their schools which made up a third of all education in the country.We all paid taxes but no money went to support our schools.
When the government refused the Bishops threatened to close all schools and send the kids to government schools the next Monday. Amazing at how quickly State Aid became a reality.
Australians seem to have more guts than authorities in some countries that come readily to mind.

Its probably a safe bet to say that there are. And its probably another safe bet to assume that if you should complain, that you will be branded a ‘racist’ and a ‘bigot’ in two seconds flat and not a single person would mention any sentences containing ‘church’ or ‘state’ in them. Instead you would hear grand set in stone principles of ‘religious freedom’.

Christian event: Separation of Church and State is invoked.

Islamic/any other religious event - Religious Liberty is invoked.

So basically, heads I win, tails, you lose.

I disagree with much of the American interpretation of ‘religious liberty’.

Of course though, no one should be forced to visit a place of worship against their will. Neither should such visits be a regular occurrence, unless of course such a practise is an integral part of the school culture in which case the culture was known beforehand,

I don’t believe this is the case here though.

I would think if the school culture is not explicitly Christian and the Church visit is not a regular visit then the sensible outcome is just for the Muslim family not attend that function.

Similarly if a function was in a mosque then a Christian family would have the option of not attending.

The problem is when the government says that in order to be neutral, there should be no visits. This is obviously not neutral but in favour of the removal of God from society which is strongly favoured by a sub section of the populace.

It does not seem fitting with Christian charity to go around assuming that the condition of being a Muslim automatically makes one a hypocrite, villain, etc. Maybe we can shift back to focusing on the facts of the case instead of letting our personal prejudices cloud our judgement. Just my 2 cents.

Good point.:thumbsup:

If this gets cancelled, better cancel the White House egg hunt too…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.