Muslim parent upset over school flyer promoting church's Easter egg hunt

Some Muslim parents are concerned about public schools in Dearborn handing out flyers to all students advertising an Easter egg hunt, saying it violates the principle of church and state separation.

A flyer headlined “Eggstravaganza!” was given to students this week at three elementary schools in the Dearborn Public Schools district, which has a substantial number of Muslim students. The flyer described an April 12 event at Cherry Hill Presbyterian Church in Dearborn featuring an egg hunt, relay race, and egg toss. It asked students to RSVP “to secure your free spot” and included images of eggs and a bunny.

“It really bothered my two kids,” said parent Majed Moughni, who is Muslim and has two children, ages 7 and 9, in Dearborn elementary schools. “My son was like, ‘Dad, I really don’t feel comfortable getting these flyers, telling me to go to church. I thought churches are not supposed to mix with schools.’ ”

freep.com/article/20140404/NEWS05/304040016/Muslim-parents-upset-over-flier-promoting-Easter-egg-hunt-at-church

They have a point, church and state should not mix. But since it wasn’t promoting a religious event, per se, then I don’t know.

I’m not sure what to think about this.

If the hunt were held at a park, would there be the same backlash? Would it depend on which organization provided the candy (religious or non religious)?

The flyer didn’t say, “Come, get candy and get saved.”

Do Muslim Community Centers host religious themed events exclusively? Or can their centers and halls host secular functions?

Whether on the White House lawn or at the Parks n Rec Center, there is no religious precept behind an egg hunt. There is, sadly, such a thing as secular celebrations of Easter, St. Valentine’s, St. Patrick’s, Christmas, Halloween, etc.

If the event is religious themed, it is bad form to advertise to children in public schools. But if it isn’t religious themed, there should nee no problem. But then why would it be on church grounds?

There has to be more to this story that we aren’t getting as there are more questions than answers at this point.

Perhaps they could move to a muslim country, where they would never have to be “bothered” by Easter eggs and bunnies.

If this train of thought is carried to its logical conclusion then soon you will not be allowed to worship in your own churches.

Although the church is not a public institution, it is supported by public money, through your tax deductible contributions. Thus it is receiving benefits from the government, and we can’t mix church and state. Right?

BTW. They protest only when they come here, because our democracy allows it.

I have pictures of Santa Clause and Christmas trees sold on the streets of Egypt, a country with a Muslim majority.
All the Muslims lined up to have their picture taken by the decorated Christmas tree at the mall.
No one screamed about the separation of church and state.

When these people come here they are coached by CAIR and like organizations on how to stick it to the Christians. And they do.
And we ponder if they are right.

Just another quick note. In Egypt Easter is an official government holiday. Yes. OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT HOLIDAY.
The Christians go to church and the muslims have a day off from work. (Sunday is a working day in Egypt) They dress up and celebrate.

Except for the part where your tax-deductible contributions are considered taxable income for the Church. In Canada, anyway…

I Googled a bit. It seems that the offended people have no issues with Easter as a secular celebration, but that this community outreach is being hosted by a Christian church.

If only we could de-secularize religious holidays, there would be a problem. But considering Easter itself is the highest Christian holiday, I’m sad that the church in question would host an Easter themed event as a non religious community event.

How these lines are blurred!

Really?

Yes, people are entitled to religious freedom and must not be coerced into following a particular religion, but separation of Church and state does not necessitate a complete removal of faith from all aspects of public life. Giving children a flyer promoting a non-religious Easter egg hunt organised by a local church does not constitute the coercion of children to become Christians.

"A true separation between church and state does not leave out the spiritual dimension, but acknowledges that the latter is, in a radical way, a guarantee of our freedom and autonomy in earthly matters.” Benedict XVI

Religion should not be removed from the state and public life, but rather it should be the agent within public life that ensures the freedom of others.

The Christian Faith is not a private matter to be hidden away.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

usconstitution.net/xconst_Am1.html

It’s obvious that the Constitution provides Freedom OF Religion. NOT freedom from religion.

We were established as a Christian nation as well, debate that, persons such as John Adams said so and I don’t need to see the tired old phrases atheists bring out to try to rebut that. It’s clear the majority of Founders felt this way.

breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/04/06/Marine-le-pen-says-religious-meals-should-go
“No pork alternatives in schools”.

Sounds like a good idea.

See how welcome Christian customs are in some countries of the world.

And would you support no ‘non-meat’ alternatives on Fridays in schools. A beef only Friday, would that suit?

Respecting the views of others is part of a civilised, charitable society. Going out of your way to alienate a group of people by deliberately not providing simple menu alternatives to accommodate their beliefs is not what Christian teaching is about.

Does this school you hypothesise about allow Christian Prayer? Let’s first take care of that.

I believe in its separation because at least here in America, Catholics would be severely persecuted if there were no separation.

While I can see the issue in general…I have a bit of a problem with the argument as presented.
The complaint by the child is expressed as:
‘Dad, I really don’t feel comfortable getting these flyers,** telling me** to go to church. I thought churches are not supposed to mix with schools.’ ”
Now - according to the article, the flier “Asked” students to sign up…It did not “Tell” them to do so.

There is a big difference between an invitation and an order…
Perhaps it would be good for the parents and the school to take this opportunity to explain this difference to the children.

Now - as to whether or not it was appropriate to pass out the flyers at a public school - that is another question all together.
On the one hand the rules can be made very tight - no one can pass out such flyers - or the rules can be made much more inclusive that the mosque could be afforded the same opportunity to pass out flyers promoting some event at their facility.
Either solution is viable…

Peace
James

Good, I will go by the Constitution not what I believe in.

It’s already been quoted.

If anything, we see the Federal Government, supposedly Godless that persecutes Catholics and Christians.

It’s not that, it’s the heavily Evangelical crowd - the one that has a lot of power in Congress - that would persecute the Catholics. A lot of them, unfortunately, still hold very anti-Catholic beliefs, like that we worship statues instead of God or that we’re not “saved”.

America would have its version of the Troubles if this happened.

Again your opinion. I’m sorry you want us all to live per your world view. I will take the laws that established this country. Not casting stones at the faults of other Christians and making up my own rules.

The Muslim parent needs to get over it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.