Muslim posters, does this represent you?

Muslim posters, does this represent your thinking:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/09/0925_TVkoran.html

?

You’re asking if a billion and a half people would have one opinion of Holy Scriptures? or of their identity as a Muslim?

No. I am not asking anyone to speak on behalf of others (much less a billion+ others).

Yeah, I agree with the article, save for one instance. It said that Muhammad [peace be upon him] recieved revelation directly from God, but that is not the case. It was indirect– Gabriel acted as God’s agent. Gabriel would periodically speak to Muhammad and Muhammad would repeat whatever he heard Gabriel say. These sayings were memorized, written down and were compiled into what we now know as the Qur’an.

I may be wrong about this, but as far as I can recall, Prophet Moses [peace be upon him] is the only prophet to have heard God directly. God told him to go evangelise the Egyptians.

Thanks, drac16.

I have heard various claims that jihad is absolutely intrinsic to Islam and the Koran, but frankly I have never heard that supported by any arguments that hold water.

So if it doesn’t make sense to you, it’s not true?

It’s part of Islam, but it’s not as important as, say, prayer or charity (Jihad is not one of the five pillars of Islam). There’s a lot of stuff in the Qur’an about warfare, but these passages were revealed to Muhammad during a time when it was necessary for them to wage warfare. It some cases, it was either fight or suffer extinction.

Surah 9:29 for instance, which is a favorite verse of critics of Islam. The muslims had to make Hajj, but they had reason to believe that the Qur’aysh would slaughter them while they performed the rites. After all, fighting was strictly forbidden around the area of the Ka’aba, so the muslims would have had to do the pilgrimage without any weapons or armour to defend themselves. Surah 9:29 was sent down giving the muslims the right to defend themselves and to get the community back in order.

The jizya tax is something that is incumbent for a society to function. If you don’t pay taxes, you can’t sustain life in a community.

That’s what the verse is about. The passages about warfare in the Qur’an are usually easy to understand if you know when and why they were revealed.

Oops, I meant jihadism. Thank you for calling me on that.

Mark 20:15 KJV - "And then the Lord said unto them ‘If something maketh not sense to Peter Jericho, it is not true.’ "

:smiley:

Hi again. Although I started this thread with a question about the Qur’an, I wonder if you (or anyone else) could also say something about hadith. For example, Wikipedia says (not that Wikipedia is always reliable) “Of the 199 references to jihad in perhaps the most standard collection of hadith—Bukhari—all assume that jihad means warfare.” Does that mean that most Muslims understand jihad in the sense of warfare?

alimprogram.org/scholars/dr-sulayman-nyang/

Since Nyang could still be alive are there any Muslim scholars who taught this before say 1600 or even 1800? I have read several books on Arabs and Islam they certainly didn’t to hold Nyang’s view.

Jihad mean to struggle. As much I know it is three parts.

1. The main and most importand Jihad is against self evil sensuous desires and to control them and restrict. In a Hadiths Prophet Muhammad have been coming back from a war. Prophet said "we are coming back from small jihad to great jihad. Sahabas asked: What is more great than war. Prophet answered: to struggle against evil self instincts. In another Hadiths prophet said: your biggest enemy is your evil instincts(nafs).

2. The second part is to spread faith by wisdom.

125-Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided. An–Nahl(16)

1. That is war. That is allowed during enemy attacks. And also that jihad(war) was to defend and support faith. Because some unbelievers attacked and persecuted believers. Otherwise Prophet established an Islamic state and a state could make war to protect itself or to expand. Muslims did that in the most peaceful way. Muslims pay Zakat and non-Muslims pay Jizya. So Islamic state take from everyone but not just Jizya from non-Muslims. Every state take tax.

Nowdays every Islamic state has its own tax system.

Sahih al Bukhari consists of thousands of hadiths and numerous volumes, so it may be true. I was not saying that jihad does not mean to fight; it can, but it depends on what context it’s used in. I’m skeptical about the number, that 199 times in al-Bukhari it’s meaning must be ‘to fight’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.