Muslim U.S. Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad says she was held by U.S. Customs

Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad, the first female Muslim American to medal for the United States in the Olympics, said Tuesday she was recently detained at U.S. Customs for two hours without explanation.

Muhammad, who is a native of Maplewood, N.J., said she didn’t know if she was held as a result of the Trump administration’s travel ban but is sure the move was a result of her ethnicity.

usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2017/02/08/olympic-fencer-ibtihaj-muhammad-held-us-customs-trump-travel-ban/97676170/

Nothing to do with the swords she was travelling with?

You guys just can’t control yourselves can you?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I remember when a group of bagpipers had trouble at the border.

She was let in, didn’t she?

Inconvenient but if one travels a lot, this is common occurrences at the immigration check points. They will let you go after checking and verifying, and apologise for keeping you.

Doesn’t matter who you are. Your document has to be in order.

Was she traveling with swords? She is a US citizen, no?

Only diplomatic passport has a free way through customs. Otherwise customs do their job.
And what is the big deal she was held? Did they cuf her or something?

Of course not! The headline readers are meant to see the word ethnicity and assume that we are just a racist country.

Did she show her US citizen certificate? It would have helped the immigration officers greatly.

Just pointing out that you are an Olympian may not be convincing enough especially if the officer is not an Olympic enthusiast. Unless maybe if you show him your medal.

Two hours. I have been held up at airports longer than that just because flights didn’t get to all the places they were supposed to get to on time. My son and his four year old daughter were sent to Milwaukee once instead of Chicago on their way to St. Louis because of a snowstorm and had to wait hours and hours until a plane could take them out of Milwaukee to St. Louis.

Those didn’t make the news, though. Well, the weather channels in Chicago probably did report it in a general way. “All flights into Chicago cancelled”; that sort of thing.

Well, and my brother-in-law was once detained somewhere or other because he had a little pen knife in his pocket that he didn’t know was there.

But the open borders folks have this event to enjoy.

A US passport is proof of citizenship. I don’t have a US citizen certificate. I don’t know where to get one.

She’s part of the Olympic FENCING team.

I know who she is and have been following her career. My response was to the OP implying that she was held up because she was carrying swords. The article didn’t say that she was or not.

Even is she had her fencing gear with her. That is normally checked luggage and not carry on luggage.

Exactly. There was no reason for her to be held at customs.

Also, aren’t the foils not really weapons either?They aren’t machetes or switch blades.

Here’s an article about 10 reasons people are flagged at Customs. Maybe she hit one of those reasons, altho she probably did not visit a farm.

She may have. Maybe I should have said she should have not been held for 2 hours without explanation.

I was held up for a short time at a US point of entry recently even though I have electronic proof of citizenship and have traveled through there with no problems several times before. No big deal; life goes on. There was no real reason in my opinion for me to be held up either but I’m just a white guy and no articles will be written about it.

We don’t know that, one way or the other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.