Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah?

sorry if this has been discussed.

according to whyislam.org and other sources, Islam believes Jesus is the Messiah only they disagree with Christianity on the “nature” of the Messiah. This is surprising to me since i’ve always heard that Islam thinks of Jesus as “only” a prophet. and all Christians seem to agree on this point. POPE PAUL VI ON OCTOBER 28, 1965 in his encyclical said that Islam reveres him as a PROPHET. but WhyIslam.org is resolute in saying that Islam believes Jesus to be the Messiah.

can anyone shed some light on this for me?

thank you and God bless.

whyislam.org/comparative-religion-2/the-messiah-jesus-son-of-mary/

Yes, we believe that he’s ‘al-Masih’’, or ‘the Messiah’, because that’s one of the titles the Qur’an gives him. It is mentioned in the Qur’an: “Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah He shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. And he shall be (of the company) of the righteous She said: “O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?” He said: "Even so: Allah createth what He willeth: When He hath decreed a plan, He but saith to it, ‘Be,’ and it is! And Allah will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel” (surah 3:45-48)

He’s also known as God’s Word. “…Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary…” (surah 4:171)

That is good, if “if this is the case” why do Muslims in Arab countries attack Christian Church’s , at the moment its Indonesia, but its been Egypt, Syria etc. If you believe He Our Lord is a prophet why would you do that. We take His teachings by not attacking Mosques in European Countries.

Indonesia is not an Arab state. Attacks by Muslims on Christians are regrettable and odious but we should remember Christians have a fairly bloody history when it comes to attacking each other. I need not state the history of the nation you and I both come from with regards to that as it is too well known.

No disrespect intended, but this is not a history thread and the above comment has little to do with current violence in the world or the topic of this thread.

The question of why Muslims attack those who worship Christ, the Messiah recognized by Islam and Christianity, still deserved consideration and a thoughtful answer.

To JharekCarnelian,

Your reply is not what I asked, you are replying obviously to another thread, maybe since you took the trouble to give me a wrong reply, you could now give me a correct one.

From “Doctrine” by Mark Driscoll:

God the Father said He was God
Hebrews 1:8 8
But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever,*and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.

Matthew 26:63-65
62*And the high priest stood up and said, "Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?"63But Jesus was silent. And the high priest said to him, "I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God."64Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

John 8:58-59 Jesus uses the term Before Abraham was, “I Am”, He is using the term God used to describe himself with Moses

John Chapter 10: 30-33
30*I and the Father are one."31The Jews took up stones again to stone him.*32Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; **for which of these do you stone me?"33The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we stone you but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, make yourself God.” **

The Bible Clearly says Jesus is God

Matthew 1:23 Matthew calls Jesus Emmanuel which means God with Us.
John 20:28 Thomas says “My Lord and my God”.
Titus 2:13 "Our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.
Titus 3:4 calls Jesus “God our Savior”
1John5:20 says of Jesus “this is the true God”*

This is the problem with calling Jesus solely a prophet (truth teller). God calls him God, He calls himself God and those who knew him called him God. As C.S. Lewis stated, he is either a Liar, Lunatic or the Lord, but can’t be “just a good man or prophet”.

Good luck.

The post I replied to was somewhat off topic itself, I note you passed that over. SOME Muslims attack those who worship Christ due to a combination of factors, poor education, pre-existing sectarian diivisions, identification of Christians with colonial or foreign powers, rabble roussing demagogues inciting hatred. All of those and numerous other factors lead to violence between Muslims and Christians.

The actual point of the thread was that Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah, they do, but their understanding of that and Christ’s role as such is markedly different than ours.

I do not answer posts to suit the dictates of others. Relgious violence is a serious problem both currently and historically for both Muslims and Christians. You yourself introduced the question of Muslim violence to this thread and not I.

Drac, this is what I appreciate about you. You mention above as per Quranic statements and that is no more than what I expect from Muslims.

:yup:

MJ

Like all heretical writings the Koran mixes truth with fiction, after all the Devil is crafty.

Sura 19:34 It is not [befitting] for Allah to take a son; exalted is He!

quran.com/19

Muslims believe that Our Lord Jesus was a prophet and nothing more , my question was if they even believe he was a prophet and even as a prophet you have to respect HIM even though you don’t believe HE was the Messiah why do they attack Christian Church’s, we don’t go around attacking Mosques, mind you as a former Jew and now a Catholic and have to abide by the teaching of Jesus, my thoughts otherwise would be the Jewish way, “Do to others what they do to you”.

Maybe what you intended to say is something like - “All of those factors lead to persecutions of Christians by Muslims?” :stuck_out_tongue:

It would appear you did not wish an answer on the grounds you requested.

Christians believe Christ was a Jew, why then is their a history of us attacking and killing Jews? I can find you examples of those purporting to be Christians attacking Mosques and killing Muslims in barbarous manners within yours and my own life time and recently. As Christians we should condemn such violence whatever source it comes from.

The fact is there are members of each religion that would do harm to others in God’s name.

However, Jesus Christ and the Gospel show us a different way.

The Koran however promotes violence and especially against non combatants.

Please do.
But, your examples should be documented and supported by evidence pointing to actual Christians performing these acts simply because someone is of a different religion.

Retaliation or self-defense don’t count.
And no examples from the middle-ages please.

Thank you Drac 16. Now i know that Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah. without a doubt. so from a Muslim perspective, is it safe to say that Jesus is spiritually higher then Mohammed? Do you believe in His second coming?

You’re welcome; I’m glad I could help. I don’t know if I’d go as far as to say that Jesus is superior to Muhammad in the sense of being more righteous; that’s not my call to make [peace be upon both of those men]. Yes, muslims believe that Jesus [peace be upon him] will come again, so as to refute the false ideas about him and his teachings, to destroy the Dajjal, to rule by the Sharia, etc. There are some Qur’anic verses that allude to his second coming, but they are not very clear; the clear teachings on his second coming are found in the books of Hadith, which are oral traditions passed down by the Sahaba (Prophety Muhammad’s companions) [may Allah be pleased with them].

I encourage you to read this article, which says more than I ever could and even provides references: discoveringislam.org/return_of_jesus.htm

You don’t have to read the whole thing (besides, it’s a long article). It’ll just give you a sense of what we believe.

Awww shucks… you’re making me blush. :blush:

Thank you, though. You’re very sweet. I wish you a happy and healthy new year.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.