Muslims, Brothers of Christians

16. To Representatives of Muslims of the Philippines
Davao, February 20, 1981

1. The Muslims, Brothers of Christians

Dear Brothers, It is always a pleasure for me to meet the members of the Muslim communities during my journeys, and to give them my personal greetings and those of all their Christian brothers and sisters throughout the world.

I deliberately address you as brothers: that is certainly what we are, because we are members of the same human family, whose efforts, whether people realize it or not, tend toward God and the truth that comes from him. But we are especially brothers in God, who created us and whom we are trying to reach, in our own ways, through faith, prayer, and worship, through the keeping of his law and through submission to his designs…

4. Dialogue Also Implies Mercy…

Dear Muslims, my brothers: I would like to add that we Christians, just like you, seek the basis and model of mercy in God himself, the God to whom your Book gives the very beautiful name of al-Rahman, while the Bible calls him al-Rahum, the Merciful One.

– John Paul II

the God to whom your Book gives the very beautiful name of al-Rahman, while the Bible calls him al-Rahum, the Merciful One

Does anyone know what al-Rahman means and how it relates to al-Rahum?

Rahman is Arabic for ‘merciful’, and Rahum (or Rachuwm) is Hebrew for ‘merciful’.

Thank you. I will try to remember that! It is one more connection we have with one another.

Just remember the Muslims don’t see it the same way.

That’s a pretty broad statement, which would be more accurately stated “Not all Muslims see it the same way”.

I should rephrase it. The Muslims who follow their religion’s teachings don’t see it the same way.

I agree. To them, we are all infidels.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.