Muslims, children of Ishmael?

When I was a foot soldier in Iraq during the years 2004 and 2006, the Iraqi civilians would always tell me that Islam came from Hagar and Ishmael. I can only find a little proof in Galatians 4:21 . Please comment, what do you think?

Yes, Islam came from Hagar and her son Ishmael, and Muhammed is a descendent of Ishmael, what is wrong with that?:confused:

BUT is it truly from THE MOST HIGH, that is completely a different story…

:confused: Paul said:
“Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children.”

But there was no religion at that time in Arabia, they were pagans!
And what is present city of Jerusalem in Arabia?

Paul said:
“But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”

The actual Scripture which Paul is referring to:
Sarah said to Abraham, “Get rid of that slave woman and her son, for that woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with my son Isaac.”
:frowning: :(:frowning: I don’t understand how Paul did not include that in his quote, when someone says “the Scripture says” it implies that the Holy Spirit is saying that, but actually in that particular quote Sarah was the one who said that. https://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon4.gif

It sounds rash, I’ve never heard anyone preacher or priest touch this topic.

There is evidence of Christians living in Arabia following the religion of Collyridianism.

Well, yes, Abraham [peace be upon him] is our father inasmuch as, through his offspring, people of all nations will be blessed. He’s called ‘an imam to the nations’. If you’d like to read about this in full [from an Islamic perspective], there’s a beautiful passage in the Qur’an about it; in surah 2:124-141: quran.com/2/124-141

It’s a very long passage, so, God willing, I’ll try to summarise it.

According to the Qur’an, Abraham and Ishmael, whilst praying in Mecca, asked God to send among the arabs a Messenger of their own, which points to Muhammad [peace be upon them] (He was from Mecca). Abraham’s legacy was and is fulfilled through Muhammad [peace be upon him], because Muhammad is a mercy not just to the arabs, but to all of mankind (surah 21:107). Islam came from all the prophets of Islam, but the fulfillment of God’s promise to Abraham is ultimately fulfilled through Ishmael’s lineage (i.e. Muhammad fulfilled it. He descended from Ishmael). I hope that’s not too confusing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi ggarcia19: Reference Gen:21:13-21 and Gen:25:12-18.

Well Ive heard Muslims say Jesus was a Muslim. But Jesus’ lineage came from Isaac or no?:stuck_out_tongue:

MJ

I read that in the Koran, it said that Jesus was afraid of his destiny and the disciples where Muslim…how odd?

However not all Arabs or Muslims…maybe Ishmaels children where Arabs and many years past, then they became Muslims?

Muslim meaning one who submits to God thus by the islamic view all the figures in the Old testament that are found positively mentioned in the quran are muslims. Muslims however cannot claim these figures would have called themselves muslims.

Surah 3:52 but when Jesus felt persistence in disbelief from them he said, “who are my supporters for the cause of Allah?” The disciples said, "we are supporters for Allah. We have believed in Allah and testify that we are Muslims.

Surah 5:111 And remember when I inspired to the disciples, “believe in me and my messenger Jesus.” They said, “we have believed, so bear witness that indeed we are Muslims.”

Surah 61:14 O you who have believed, be supporters of Allah, as when Jesus, the son of Mary said to the disciples, “Who are my supporters for Allah?” The disciples said, “We are supporters of Allah.” And a faction of the children of Israel believed and a faction disbelieved. So we supported those who believed against their enemy, and they became dominant

According to genesis 16, Ishmael was Egyptian since his mother was Egyptian named Hagar so he was not a Arab.

Arabic has the same word for “submitter” and “Muslim”.

but today, the country of Egypt speaks Arabic,

Yes that is true but those who lived there at the time of Abraham did not speak Arabic.

I meant claim in terms of them actually calling themselves muslims. Its purely an act of faith on behalf of the muslim who believes Jesus literally called himself by the arabic “muslim.”

False !!!, no such thing in Quran nor hadith, GOD’s WORD does not afraid of ANYTHING!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.