Muslims: Does Allah intentionally keep people from learning the truth

I came across a website:

thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran-hate.htm

Basically the site claims that Allah intentionally keeps certain non-muslims from finding the truth (Islam) and even causes certain people to sin (even by using demons to tempt them).

Now, I’m assuming that this is just anti-Islamic propaganda…but I thought I would ask here, just to make sure.

Here are some of the points the website made.

*Allah Himself Prevents Non-Muslims from Understanding

If Allah wished, he could provide guidance to every soul:

If We had so willed, We could certainly have brought every soul its true guidance (32:13)

But, instead he sets a veil over the hearts and coverings over their ears:

Verily We have set veils over their hearts lest they should understand this, and over their ears, deafness, if thou callest them to guidance, even then will they never accept guidance. (18:57) – See also 17:46 & 45:23

Allah even uses chains and barriers to prevent unbelievers from believing:

Certainly the word has proved true of most of them, so they do not believe. Surely We have placed chains on their necks, and these reach up to their chins, so they have their heads raised aloft. And We have made before them a barrier and a barrier behind them, then We have covered them over so that they do not see. And it is alike to them whether you warn them or warn them not: they do not believe. (36:7-10)

For the same purpose, Allah also fills the hearts of unbelievers with doubt:

No soul can believe, except by the will of Allah, and He will place doubt (or obscurity) on those who will not understand (10:100)

Allah Actually Causes Non-Muslims to Sin

Not content with merely preventing unbelievers from knowing the truth (which is enough to condemn them to Hell) the Quran says that a hateful Allah also causes unbelievers to commit the very sin that he will later punish them for:

And if Allah please He would certainly make you a single nation, but He causes to err whom He pleases and guides whom He pleases; and most certainly you will be questioned as to what you did (16:93)

Although Satan tempts Muslims, it is Allah himself who causes unbelievers to err.

…and whomsoever Allah causes to err, you shall not find a way for him. (4:143, see also 4:88 and 74:31)

Allah intentionally sends the people that he hates astray:

…and Allah sendeth him astray purposely, and sealeth up his hearing and his heart, and setteth on his sight a covering? Then who will lead him after Allah (hath condemned him)? Will ye not then heed? (45:23)

Allah even sends demons to inspire unbelievers to commit further bad deeds (that he can later hold against them):

See thou not that We have set the Evil Ones on against the unbelievers, to incite them with fury? (19:83)

According to verse 3:54, Allah plots and schemes against unbelievers using deceit (the literal meaning of makara, the word used). Elsewhere, the Quran explains that Allah tricks unbelievers into thinking that they are doing good deeds, when, in fact, they are merely deepening their own eternal punishment with bad deeds:

As to those who do not believe in the hereafter, We have surely made their deeds fair-seeming to them, but they blindly wander on. (27:4) See also 39:23, 6:39, 35:8, 13:27 & 14:4)

Allah recruits Satan to join Him into fooling unbelievers into thinking that they are doing good:

On the contrary their hearts became hardened, and Satan made their (sinful) acts seem alluring to them. (6:43)

The joke is on non-Muslims, of course, who will protest on Judgment Day that they did everything they thought was right – but are sent to Hell anyway:

Then would they offer submission (with the pretence), “We did no evil (knowingly).” (The angels will reply), "Nay, but verily Allah knows all that ye did; "So enter the gates of Hell, to dwell therein. (16:28-29)*

I like your name. I’ve been a sinner too. Whether allah invoked demons against me -i cant say for sure. But that would explain a lot of strange things.

…of course, i wouldnt want to spend eternity with anyone who hid salvation from me on purpose anyways. Who hates me. I would want the opposite of that. :slight_smile:

Ben, Allah does not cause anyone to sin. People sin by their own free will. Just as they believe by their own free will. The people who turn away from God’s commandments are unjust to themselves because they will have paved the way to eternal damnation with their own hands.

I question the credibility and integrity of a website that conveniently omits part of a quote and misrepresents the true meaning in order to support their opinion.

Here is Quran 18:57 again. I’ve quoted the entire verse and highlighted in red the parts they conveniently wiped out.

[Quran 18.57]And who is more unjust than one who is reminded of the verses of his Lord but turns away from them and forgets what his hands have put forth? Indeed, We have placed over their hearts coverings, lest they understand it, and in their ears deafness. And if you invite them to guidance - they will never be guided, then - ever

Looking at the verse above we can break it down into 2 parts. The first part is the action of the unjust ones who turned away from God’s commandments. They chose to ignore God’s commandments by their own free will. The misguidance here is attributed to the people and not to God.

The second part is the punishment that comes as a result of their obstinacy. This can be attributed to God. In this sense misguidance is a type of punishment. The bad people have gone astray and have been afflicted with misguidance by their own choice.

Here is a practical example to drive the point home. Imagine a high end furniture manufacturer, he brings in wood to a factory for processing so that he would make furniture and sell them at a showrooms. The manufacturer knows that not all the wood that comes in is fit to be part of the furniture, some pieces are rotten, others are cracked and so on. These bad pieces are marked bad and eventually they’re thrown out or turned to wood chips.

Of course if God wished He could have made everyone a believer but instead he gave us free will to chose. He wants us to become believers out of our own free will and personal choice. Unfortunately for some people, short of compelling them to believe they will not believe no matter what. These people self-elected to be excluded from God’s divine mercy. As a result God withholds his guidance and light from these people. In the absence of guidance you’re left with misguidance. In the absence of light you’re left with darkness. This is a form of punishment that’s attributed to God. This is what the Qur’an means when you read God caused them to err’. In other words He withheld his guidance from these people and left them to their own devises.

Thanks for the information famdigy. I had a feeling the website had something fishy about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.