Muslims fasting month (Ramadan) starts within a few days.

Fasting month for Muslims (Ramadan) starts either August 21 or August 22 (depending on the moon), we fast before sunrise till sunset, we don’t drink nor eat anything during that time, and this year in SA it would be from around 4am till 7pm.

In SA families will gather together to eat one big meal after sunset (called Iftar), then another one before sunrise (called Suhur), and there is more praying activities during this month, however, productivity will be very low in this month (since working time will be shorten to 5 hours per day only) but on the other hand it would be a good month for food and entertainment companies, since there will be lots of cuisines offers and lots of TV shows for people to enjoy.

So Ramadan Mubarak for our Muslims here, and may The Most High show everyone the true path.

Strange fast when you eat during it!

What does Mubarak mean? I assume you are not referring to the Egyptian president.

Interesting,

I wish you well in your fast and peace to you.

It’s interesting some of the stuff you said though.

Why the plethera of tv shows to watch and food offers during a period of fasting?

The monks Ive just spent some time with in Ireland fast - but they eat nothing, absolutely nothing at all, during the fast. They fast every friday, and during the fasting periods set out by the church. The time is used in prayer, reflection, spiritual reading, and work. Not watching tv or trying new cuisine.

Maybe Ive misunderstood you, but it’s certainly intertesting to see the different religions approach to fasting.

From what I understand about ramadan, is that they “fast”, in essence starve themselves for 15 hours and then they eat all types of food and tons of it.

During this fast, there is no taking in of water or any type of food.

So, when the 15 hours are over, they all get together for a feast of gluttony.

This is done for about 30 days.

Do I have this right Sam?

Since Sam is fluent at Arabic, he’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it is that the “Ramadan Mubarak” means “Blessed Ramadan”.

Also interesting because once the fasting is over, the monks go back to eating normal rations, which, from what I was told, is pretty basic anyhow. There’s no catching up on the missed food.

It doesnt seem to be doing them any harm though - all were elderly men, and all fit as a fiddle and strong as an ox. :smiley:

Fasting then Fast Eating;)

Should Christians also fast during this time for the conversion of the Muslims?

The Prophet said a Muslim should break his/her fasting with a few dates (3-7 dates) and one cup of water…then go to sunset prayer…after that , one would have a small meal before going to Taraweeh prayer (some times more than two or three hours) …

one should not eat too much food since that may prevent him from performing the prayers…

also , gluttony is widely condemned in the Quran and Sunnah ,

Read these verses from the Quran

2:183 [size=1](Y. Ali) O ye who believe! [/size]fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, **that ye may (learn) self-restraint

2:183 [size=1](Asad)** O YOU who have attained to faith! [/size]fasting is ordained for you as it was ordained for those before you, s**o that you might remain conscious of God: **

7:31 O CHILDREN of Adam! Beautify yourselves for every act of worship, and eat and drink [freely], but do not waste: verily, He does not love the wasteful!
*“A person will not fill a pot worse for himself than his stomach…the son of Adam needs only few pieces that nourish himself…but if he wants to eat more than that ,he has to allow (in his stomach ) a third for drink and a third for food and a third for air” *
Tarmithi (2380)

And in one of the stories narrated from Bani Isra’eel, the Prophet Yayha (as) once asked Iblees if he had ever succeeded in deceiving him. Iblees stated that on only one occasion had he been able to deceive this noble Prophet and that had been when he had encouraged him to eat a lot of one of his favorite dishes to the extent that when he slept that night he didn’t awaken for the night prayer.

So if you eat too much you have sinned ,since you could not go to prayer

also, the month of Ramadan is for being righteous and close to God, but the filthy media have turned it into an unholy month with their filth on TV …

No, not between sunrise and sunset.

:rotfl:…No, as jakasaki said, it means “Blessed Ramadan”.

Thanks Guyonthestreet, however, in addition to what jakasaki mentioned, the Islamic world is family oriented and usually you would see families inviting each others for Iftar and Suhur, and between those meals they gather together infront of the TV to chat and watch new shows.

:aok: Yes.
:blessyou:

:blessyou: **kalel, **a good idea, but to make that fruitful, both families should invite each others for Iftar or Suhur to have a dialogue about both religions, so Muslims know who Jesus really is.

Eating too much is not a sin but dissipation is, if someone eats too much without wasting anything then that is okay, beside I never encountered any person who eats too much yet he/she can’t pray!

And for the filthy media, who own those companies aren’t they the fruit of Muhammed. :wink:

care to explain one of your many weird and stupid ideas about islam?

Some muslims do this unfortunately (especially lebos :D) however that doesn’t make sense bcz one of the reasons why muslims fast is to feel the hunger of their less fortunate bro/sisters. :slight_smile:

wasalam

I’ve also been led to believe that a lot of cranky people are one result.

In my Pentecostal church we fast every Wed for 24 hours, midnight to midnight, not at a tradition, but as something everyone is free to partake in with the pastor’s fasting schedule.

We will only drink water in those 24 hours. At the beginning of the month we fast 3 days straight, 72 hours only drinking water and some juices to keep some calories in the body for brain activity.

At the beginning of the year we do a 21 day fast where water and some juices are consumed for the reason listed above. My pastor usually does a 40 day food fast each year at the beginning of the year.

I would say about half the church partakes in these fasts throughout the year.

Isaiah 58:6-8 (New International Version)
6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

Thank you.

Just curious: What do Muslims in Alaska and other such areas do where there is 6 months of sunlight and 6 of darkness?

Pure guess here, but maybe use Meccan time?

Possibly. I did a quick search earlier and found various responses - use Meccan time, use the time of the country closest - move to Alaska so you don’t have to fast :p. Although I did see too that Finland and parts of the Scandinavian countries have this phenomenon as well - which makes sense, I just never thought about it before. I’m not sure if there is a universal answer. ???

Ramadan is the best month for Muslims. We spend our time fasting, reading Quran, praying, and gathering with relatives. I don’t know why Ramadan passes so quickly, but maybe because we enjoy it so much and don’t want it to end.

Ramadan is the month that God sent down the Quran to Prophet Muhammad which makes it even more special. Surah 2 [185] Ramadan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur-an, as a guide to mankind, also Clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (between right and wrong).

Ramadan is not the month of TV shows. It is sad to see some Muslims spending a lot of time watching the new shows and dramas in Ramadan. If you watch TV, at least choose some good channels such as Al-Resalah where all the programs are about our faith.

I wish all the Muslims Ramadan Mubarak, and I hope that non-Muslims will experience the beauty of Ramadan one day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.