Muslims go nuts (again) in Germany

An 85 years old song of German football fans (i.e. soccer for you US guys) drives muslims nuts today because it contains the following lines:

“Mohammed war ein Prophet, der vom Fußballspielen nichts versteht.
Doch aus all der schönen Farbenpracht hat er sich das Blau und Weiße ausgedacht”

Roughly translates to
"Mohammed was a prophet, playing football he did not understand.
But of all nice colours the blue and white he did invent."

(Blue and white being the colours of that particular football club, namely Schalke 04.)

That obviously insults the prophet fpr two reasons. There is something he doesn’t understand - come on, he couldn’t probably know about football back then, and blue and white are not his colours, that’s more the green. Furthermore all this singing seems to be to profane to mention him.

Now several Muslim groups call for boycotts and demand that song to be changed.
Can it get any more ridiculous than that?

I saw that news article I think yesterday or the day before and all I did was smack my forehead.

only muslims could get upset over something so stupid lol. wow he didn’t know about soccer and invented blue and white … ohh yes that’s blasphemy all right lol hang all the kafir swine where they stand! Lol!:smiley:

My father-in-law loves Schalke, now i know why!

Go Blau und Weisse!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Double standards from the above Christians posters…last time we have been told to be civil and not riot ,instead boycott and write letters to the authority…

and last time I checked,a group of Christians call for boycotting and demanding not to be shown (i think it’s a movie) because it insults Christianity and Jesus…

All these Muslims want is the song to be changed…and the posters here are upset…ok I don’t want to hear from you any complaint about anything anti-Christan…

I also want to add one thing

Christians have been desensitized when it comes about Jesus …the reason I think is,they have been exposed for a long time to wide insults and mocking to Jesus and Christianity , that now they only react to major insults (like **** Jesus) …whereas Muslims have yet to get used to be exposed these types of insults to their prophet…so they react to all types of insult whether minor or major

I also want to stress one more thing

I feel the notion of “holy” and “sacred” and “awe” are still firmly and strongly held in the hearts of many Muslims ,whereas (no offense) this is missing with Christians regarding their religion and figures

Uh…thanks, Hadi…we would not have known what a major insult was without that example… :rolleyes::frowning:

…whereas Muslims have yet to get used to be exposed these types of insults to their prophet…so they react to all types of insult whether minor or major

This is true. We just wish they would hurry up so that no one else would have to worry about being killed for publishing a book they don’t like or drawing a cartoon. As far as I see it, the trouble is not that they are insulted by certain things, but like you’ve admitted here, they are insulted by basically EVERYTHING. You’ve got to pick your battles, you know? Things like the Sudanese ‘Teddy Bear Blasphemy case’ do nothing but show the rest of the world that many Muslims do not know how to do that, and so are not fit to live in secular societies where the precepts of their religion are not held as sacrosanct.

I also want to stress one more thing

I feel the notion of “holy” and “sacred” and “awe” are still firmly and strongly held in the hearts of many Muslims ,whereas (no offense) this is missing with Christians regarding their religion and figures

This is flat out not true. I can understand why you would think that since you look at things from an Islamic mindset, but the attitude that you have has never been part of the Christian way. You must realize that for us, there is little more that can be done to Our Saviour than He already willingly endured on the cross, so when we face oppression (not just bad words about us, but that too), we take it willingly as Christ took His place. We remember it and remember His command that we take up our crosses and follow Him (Mark 8:34). This attitude, combined with a willingness to defend ourselves at times when we have been threatened with wholesale extinction, goes a long way towards explaining why Christianity has survived into the current day. It has nothing to do with not recognizing what is sacred in our religion. Rather, perhaps it is you who does not recognize the roots of our viewpoint.

Christ is with us. What can a song or a painting or for that matter a hundred angry mullahs do to us? Our forefathers were murdered, crucified, exiled, and everything else (as our brothers and sisters are today, all over the world), and now we are lucky enough in the West to be able to live in relative peace and you want to say that we do not know what is sacred because we will not join you in your method of preserving what is sacred (by behaving like a bunch of thugs or whiny babies)? Well, what is sacred to you is not what is sacred to us, and your ways are not our ways (dang…isn’t that in the Qur’an somewhere? :D). So don’t tell us what we do or do not know.

You can riot in the streets, you can kill each other and us, but we believe in God who tells us that he who believes will have everlasting life (John 6:46-48). Your analysis is void in the face of that. Absolutely null and void.

I have a better idea. Instead of rioting over lyrics, why don’t Muslims come out and condemn those Muslims who think its alright to go ka-boom? I lost 3,000 neighbors and almost lost my father on that day. Not one Muslim organization has come out to condemn those attacks. Instead they came out yelling that not ALL muslims are like that. I am a Christian so I have forgiven, but I’ll be damned if I forget.

Well, that is true. Everybody could need a bit of serenity when comes to harmless songs, movies, or other pieces of art that does not respect all the rules of any religion, ideology, or politcal stance. (list may not be comprehensive)

All these Muslims want is the song to be changed…and the posters here are upset…

I wonder how upset you will be when someone wants the Quran to be changed.

We had a similar case in Germany some years ago when some Muslims went nuts over a horse called “Mohammed” and threatened the breeder.
Afiak “Mohammed” is quite a common name for racing horses, esp. in the Emirates.

Somehow, the concepts of ‘serenity’ and ‘soccer crowds/songs/chants’ don’t quite go together! :smiley:

instead of blaming muslims because they always get anger when thier beloved prophet be insulted by christians
what about reminding the christians with the teaching of jesus (pbuh) when he said

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

God has always given His people guidance on how they should treat one another. but some christians tend to be selfish, unless trained otherwise. But God wants you to be considerate of others. He said that you should treat others they way you would like to be treated. How do you like to be treated? With respect, listened to, not interrupted, loved, share things with, treated fairly, honest with, follow through on promises. If you like these things from others, it is only natural that others would like you to treat them the same.

What makes you think that the people who write or sing this song are Christians? Do they sing it at Mass or Divine Liturgy? Somehow I doubt it. Get one thing straight: The West, while it contains a great many religious people, is populated by largely secular societies whose cultures have for the most part abandoned religion in favor of so-called “secular humanism”. There is nothing inherently Christian about this story. You can’t turn this around on us.

what about reminding the christians with the teaching of jesus (pbuh) when he said

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

It is good that you know this verse. Do you also encourage your Muslim family members, friends, co-workers and others to live by it? I think it is a good way for everyone to live, no matter what their religion is. Here in the West I can say without too much hyperbole that most people also know this principle, but maybe most don’t realize its religious roots or context. Again, secular societies.

God has always given His people guidance on how they should treat one another. but some christians tend to be selfish, unless trained otherwise.

What are we, dogs to you? “Trained”? Everyone needs such guidance, not just Christians. Muslims also need guidance. So do Hindus, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Pagans, Atheists, etc. Take the log out of your own eye, as is written just before the verse you quoted earlier

But God wants you to be considerate of others. He said that you should treat others they way you would like to be treated. How do you like to be treated? With respect, listened to, not interrupted, loved, share things with, treated fairly, honest with, follow through on promises. If you like these things from others, it is only natural that others would like you to treat them the same.

You and I are in agreement, elwill. This is how things SHOULD be. The question is, how to get there? Do you ensure respect from people by throwing a fit about everything you don’t like? Or do you ensure respect by demonstrating respect and a true desire to live as EQUALS alongside your neighbors of different faiths, no faith, anti-religious, etc.? Do you show people that you love them even if they mock you and your beliefs?

Yeah, that is the truth! I always enjoy watching the 1860 lions play. I love American football but often wish that there was more of the German enjoyment of the game and less of the British hooliganism.

You know, 1860 is also Blue and White. I doubt any Muslims would go to their game and protest if they sang a song like that.

Actually, the song seems quite generous to Mohammed by calling him a “prophet”. Most sports fans have a considerably less respectful opinion of the man.

When people say things about the Prophet Muhammad, they go nuts. Yet, they’re allowed to say bad things about Jesus? When I was in high school, there was this Muslim guy who said in my face " Jesus is a f. a. g. g. o. t." ( i didn’t know this forum doesn’t allow that word).I just had to ignore it. I will say that there are good and bad Muslims, however. I did have a Muslim friend. LOL

I would think Christians would be wary of coming down on Muslims on this issue. There was a time – not too long ago – when Christians believed that the Bread and Wine deserved respect, respect that, if not given, could lead to violence.

The first recorded accusation was made in 1243 at Berlitz, near Berlin. As a consequence all the Jews of Berlitz were burned on the spot, which was subsequently called Judenberg. Another famous case that took place in 1290, in Paris, was commemorated in the Church of the Rue des Billettes and in a local confraternity. In 1370 in Brussels, the charge of host desecration, long celebrated in a special fest and depicted in artistic relics in the Church of St. Gudule, led to the extermination of the Jews of the city. The case of 1337, at Deggendorf, still celebrated locally as “Deggendorf Gnad”, led to a series of massacres across the region. In 1510, at Knoblauch, near Berlin, 38 Jews were executed and more expelled from Brandenburg. The alleged host desecration in 1410, at Segovia, was said to have brought about an earthquake, and as a result, the local synagogue was confiscated and leading Jews were executed; the event continues to be celebrated as a local feast of Corpus Christi. Similar accusations, resulting in extensive persecution of Jews, were brought forward in 1294, at Laa, Austria; 1298, at Röttingen, near Würzburg, and at Korneuburg, near Vienna; 1299, at Ratisbon; 1306, at St. Pölten; 1325, at Cracow; 1330, at Güstrow; 1338, at Pulkau; 1388, at Prague; 1399, at Posen; 1401, at Glogau; 1420, at Ems; 1453, at Breslau; 1478, at Passau; 1492, at Sternberg, in Mecklenburg-Schwerin; 1514, at Mittelberg, in Alsace; 1558, at Sochaczew, in Poland. The last Jew burned for stealing a host died in 1631, according to Jacques Basnage, quoting from Manasseh b. Israel. Casimir IV. of Poland (1447).

There are better ways to handle disrespect towards one’s sacred beliefs, and no one is innocent of doing violence.

I’d have thought that they’d be better off spending their time worrying about soccer crowds and racism.

Soccer hooliganism, by the way, seems to have gone the way of a lot of ‘sports’ invented in England and exported - England are a long way off being Champions now.

1st off hadi christians have put up with a lot of anti-Christian stuff and as far as I know our protests never got as violent as the Muslim ones over the Mohammad cartoons so don’t preach to us about it.

.This isn’t blasphemy , it is not even particularly offensive. If somebody said Jesus didn’t know about soccer and invented blue and white it wouldnt really bother me at all. Its just stupid and harmless in my view and is not a direct insult.

We are talking about a football fans song which is offensive? If a song is offensive…what then of Christians being beheaded or burned alive in their homes by muslims? What label should be put on that…and do muslims even care? I plead guilty to my insensitivity for bringing up what is a huge disparity in what people consider a problem.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.