Muslims in Europe Becoming Less Secular, More Radical

Muslims in Europe Becoming Less Secular, More Radical

Chris Tomlinson 20 Dec 2018 Breitbart News

Professor emeritus of the University of Louvain, Felice Dassetto, has claimed the number of secular Muslims in Europe is in steep decline and more are becoming radicalised.

Professor Dassetto said the secular world and its values are becoming less attractive to contemporary Islam and that Muslims are turning toward more reactionary forms of the faith, Il Giornale reports.

“There is a bit of disaffection, but there is no mass abandonment of the faith . . .

. . . French sociologist Olivier Galland also warned earlier this year about the radicalisation and religious fervour among young Muslims, revealing the results of a survey he had conducted that showed 20 percent of Muslim students advocated religious violence. . . .

. . . On the topic of integration, Dassetto said that it was failing despite repeated attempts by governments, saying: “studies say that even the third and fourth generation youngsters, the children of parents born here, they maintain . . .

. . . The professor’s comments echo those of scholar of radical Islam Professor Gilles Kepel, who has warned that without proper integration programmes countries in Europe could face the possibility of civil conflict. . . .

You realize this story will be dismissed by many because it is from Bretbart…

After 1400 years, why are people surprised at the radicalism?

For goodness sake!

https://www.amazon.com/History-Jihad-Muhammad-ISIS/dp/1682616592/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529749749&sr=1-1&keywords=history+of+jihad+from+muhammad+to+isis

scroll down to “On Islam”

https://horowitzfreedomcenterstore.org/collections/frontpage/products/10-things-america-must-do-to-defend-itself-agaginst-the-global-jihad

https://us1.campaign-archive.com/?e=df804e78f4&u=12857896c3097382b25b80a09&id=15eb6cad20

Not sure I agree with the idea that Muslims are becoming less secular in Europe. Fading religious beliefs doesn’t stick out, like revivals, but this is likely the norm for most families.

Of course militants will raise the religious flag to boost their cause, and families will tend to the Mosque, for a generation, partly for social and language reasons, as well as religion. But youth are growing up in cultures far more secular than their parents experienced. The time they spend on Mass media will be far greater than religious training.

The key is proper integration programs. This is not a popular opinion, but I think the large numbers of immigrants that Europe has had to absorb stretched out their social services and there isn’t enough money and time to make sure the immigrants settle down, learn the language and find jobs. These are also low skilled immigrants and do not have a lot of jobs suited for their skill level. Add to that the language barrier. The result is marginalization, especially of young Muslim men.

When people are marginalized, they will find a community which will give their lives meaning and to be a part of something bigger than themselves. It’s human nature. Unfortunately, in the case of these young men, the community that will accept them will be the jihadis, since they can’t find it in European society.

I am not familiar with Europe. My reading tells me Western Europe dominated by heavy secularism, unrelated to Muslims. In the US, the secularists are trying to catch up to Europe.

They want to “integrate” not just Muslims and immigrants, but everyone. Religious fanatics kill dozens of people at a time, and get lousy media coverage. Secularists kill millions, one at a time and get excellent media coverage.

I doubt integration will work given the history of repeated Islamic attempts at conquest.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.