Muslims, Kidnappings, Beheadings and Fr. Giancarlo Bossi

I have always wondered about this. How come some Muslims think that it is a good thing to kidnap and torture people?

How can they even think that what they are doing is God’s will?

I was really touched when I read about Fr. Bossi, the Italian priest who was kidnapped and was later freed after long negotiations in the Philippines. Many of our Filipino soldiers died trying to rescue him. They were captured, some were mutilated and many beheaded.

When I read about Fr. Bossi ----I thought he was such a good priest—he was good and kind even to the Muslims—why would anyone want to hurt a good man like him?

On page A20 of the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper dated July 27, 2007 (Friday) --after Fr. Bossi was freed, it was written:

Ainander Julain, a 10-year old Muslim from the village of Bulawan, who waited for Bossi’s vehicle to appear on the rough road leading to the parish, said he skippied school to see the Catholic priest.

He did not go into the parish compound, however. “Just seeing him makes me happy,” he said.

Julain also said that Bossi was “like a father” to him. He said that not even his own father kissed and hugged him like Bossi did.

He recalled that Bossi visited their village once while he and a group of children were planting corn and cassava.

Julain said Bossi stayed a while and talked to them in Cebuano. Before leaving, the priest kissed and hugged them “even if we were soiled and drenched with sweat.”

If he were a Christian, Julain said he would be like a priest.

“I’ll do what he did to the people.”

I think Fr. Bossi was a very good priest. He did not hurt the Mulsims in any way. He was a friend to them. I really don’t understand why these Muslim terrorists targetted such a good man.

I know that many good Muslims do not agree with all these kidnappings and beheadings of innocent people–but how come we don’t see them doing any mass protest against it?

How can Muslims expect to be respected and accepted as peaceful people when these kidnappings and beheadings of innocent people appear, in a way, to be condoned by them, because they remain silent? :frowning:

Also, I read in another news article, Fr. Bossi wondered how his captors could pray to Allah with their rifles on one hand and an (innocent) captive on the other side. **How can this be the same God we believe in? **

The same question crossed my mind every time I read about these kidnappings and beheadings. :frowning:

It’s sad that so many bad muslims have made it tough for those muslims who are peaceful. Personally, there have been many times when I walk down the street and see some muslim people and my first thoughts are, “they must be terrorists.”

There are 1 billion muslims in the world, and even the conservative estimates say that 5% of them are evil (torturers, beheaders, bombers). If that’s true, that still makes 50 million muslims around the world who are willing to die for their “God”.

Again, in my opinion, I think Islam was a cult started by the devil himself. All we can do is pray for their conversion, I guess.
:frowning:

Might I humbly suggest that the problem is sin.

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.” (Romans 1:18:23 ESV)

I would echo the sentiment that we need to pray for their conversion and add my own sentiment that we need to actively work for their conversion.

The unpleasant fact is that Islam simply does not teach the Golden Rule. Jesus’ dictum that “whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them” (Matthew 7:12) appears in virtually every religious tradition on the planet - except Islam.

The Qur’an and Hadith make such a sharp distinction between believers and unbelievers that their is simply no room for any commandment of general beneficence. Unbelievers are to be questioned, suspected, resisted, and fought. That is all. Not tolerated. Never loved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.