Muslims share your ramadan experience

Hi i would like to ask any muslims here to share their story and experience of ramadan,

While I am not Muslim, I have studied it somewhat and have Muslim friends.

In a nutshell, they have compared the observance of Ramadan to the Roman Catholic tradition of Lent.

In order to make themselves more pleasing to the God in which they believe, they fast from sun up to sun down, including no water, and do without physical intimacy (read: sex) during the holy month of Ramadan.

Roman Catholics eschew things which they like during the 40 days of the Lenten season, and, I am told by Catholic friends, they try to pray to the God in which they believe and do other penance or activities to make themselves more worthy.

I find the concept of making oneself worthy rather a foreign one, but it apparenly means a lot to the Muslims and Catholics.

Peace,

Seeker

I respect the sincere Muslims for doing this. However Lent meanwhile is not about holding off food and water (thinking of those less fortunate being part of the Ramadan conciousness) and then eating to the hearts content at the break of Fast.

MJ

Thank you for your answer, as a catholic i have to say ramadan and lent are not alike, we dont fast from dawn till dusk, our lenten fast is nothing like that! lent is a period of time before easter when we give up things and pray more as penance for sins in preperation for easter

Ramadan is a month in the Islamic calendar in which all Muslims fast from dawn until sunset. During this time we do not eat, drink, and married people are not to have sex. As mentioned in Quran, it is the month that Quran was sent first to Prophet Muhammad. Quran 2: 185. The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you; and (He desireth) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful.

There is a night in Ramadan that is better than 80 years of worshipping, and Prophet Muhammad told us that it is more likely to be in the last 10 days of Ramadan. Quran 97. Lo! We revealed it on the Night of Power. (1) Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Night of Power is! (2) The Night of Power is better than a thousand months. (3) The angels and the Spirit descend therein, by the permission of their Lord, with all decrees. (4) (The night is) Peace until the rising of the dawn. (5)

Prophet Muhammad told us that “When Ramadan comes, the doors of paradise open, the doors of hellfire close and Satan is chained”

I am not sure how to explain to you my experience in Ramadan! It is a great experience. I try to do my best in Ramadan, I read the whole Quran, pray in Masjid sometimes or at home (Muslim women don’t have to go to Masjid but it is good to do so).

When we hear the Maghrib call of prayer, which is when the sun set, we say before eating “Oh God! For You did I Fast, and with Your Sustenance do I break (the Fast), The thirst has been quenched, and the veins saturated (with renewing energy), and with God’s will the reward is securely set.

We begin eating dates first as Prophet Muhammad did, and we actually make delicious food and invite relatives and friends to have Iftaar with us, and we also exchange food with neighbors.

Muslims usually spend the night praying and reading Quran and having some rest until one hour or so before dawn, when we eat a meal, which we call Suhoor, and Prophet Muhammad recommended us to eat before dawn call of prayer so that we are able to fast the next day.

Hello Amoon,

Was I incorrect when I said Muslims fast during Ramadan as a way to make themselves more pleasing to God?

Just want to make sure I didn't get it wrong.

Peace,

Seeker

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.