Muslims were asked to pray 50 times a day.

As narrated by Anas bin Malik, in Sahih al Bukhari, Sura al Miraj

It seems that Mohammed when he went on his night journey to heaven met all the prophets from Adam onwards in different heavens, the last being the domain of Abraham. Finally he meets allah and is asked to tell his people to pray 50 times a day. He returns but on the way meets moosa ( Mosas) who asks him what allah said, and he tells him about the 50 times prayer, and moosa says your people will not be able to do it, go and ask for reduction, and so the process begins of to and fro until the request reaches for 5 times prayers and thats how the Muslims got the 5 Prayers request approved.

The above is from Sahih al Bukari

The below is from Holy Bible, ( Readers opinion please)

Abraham Pleads for Sodom
16 When the men got up to leave, they looked down toward Sodom, and Abraham walked along with them to see them on their way. 17 Then the LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? 18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him. 19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.”
20 Then the LORD said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”
22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD. [e] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare [f] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge [g] of all the earth do right?”
26 The LORD said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”
27 Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes,28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?”
“If I find forty-five there,” he said, “I will not destroy it.”
29 Once again he spoke to him, “What if only forty are found there?”
He said, “For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”
30 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”
He answered, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.”
31 Abraham said, “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”
He said, “For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”
32 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”
He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”
33 When the LORD had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home

For the Islamic story, until now I couldn’t find a logical explanation for it, firstly, how Allah doesn’t know that it was hard for Muslims to pray 50 times a day!, secondly, even if it was 50 prayers per day, then how the productivity would be in the Islamic countries if every hour we have to pray around 6 times!, its 5 prayers per day now and most companies prefer to do business in countries other than SA to escape the 5 half-hour mandatory breaks we have here.

For the Biblical story, I think its a matter of mercy, which was affecting certain incident for one time only, unlike the Islamic one which would have affected Muslims till this day.

It shows that the Lord that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) worshipped was just as compassionate as the Lord that Prophet Abraham (pbuh) worshipped.

Hmmm… I wonder could this possibly mean that they worshipped the same Lord?

Or maybe he had borrowed that story from the Bible…:wink:

If that story had been “borrowed” from the Bible, then this would likely mean that Muslims need to pray 10 times a day instead of just 5 because the number 10 was the limit of the Lord’s compassion towards Abraham’s (pbuh) plea for Sodom to be spared from destruction.

Well not necessary, plagiarism shouldn’t be 100% identical…

Well hamba, from the above what I can say that allah that mohammed is talking about is not all knowing if not he would in the first stage itself have asked 5 times prayer. Secondly, Abraham was the closest being in the seventh heaven as per the muslims, who should have guided mohammed in the reduction theory, as it was Abraham the originator of reduction theory, but here we have musa, who was in the sixth heaven. that means Mohammed must have spent not one night but more than that to travel from one heaven to another.

But I feel that mohammed must have pilfreged the story.

For the Biblical story, I think its a matter of mercy, which was affecting certain incident for one time only, unlike the Islamic one which would have affected Muslims till this day.

Should not this same logic be applied to the case of the 50 righteous people to be found in Sodom?

Didn’t the Lord know that there were not 50 or for that matter 10 righteous people to be found in Sodom?

There are certain things that the Lord does which would be pointless for the creations to be overly inquisitive about since it is the sole prerogative of Almighty God alone.

My own take on both of these stories concerning Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and Prophet Abraham (pbuh) is that it shows the compassion of the Lord… but there are limits to just how much compassion that He will provide to His creations.

The point is that either one shows a human barganing with God over an issue.

There is a point to be made as to how an all-knowing Allah would not know that humans would not pray 50 times a day.

IN the Biblical story, the key is that God was willing not to destroy the masses if only a few rightous could be found. In other words, God’s mercy is not dependant on the majority deserving it at all. This is an important concept once we have Jesus.

Notice that Abraham does not push it all the way to one.

Excuse me danova but isn’t that 100% plagiarism. :dts:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.