Muslims: Where does the Quran get the idea that Jews believe that Ezra is the Son of God?

According to the Quran, chapter 9 verse 30, it says:

“The Jews say, ‘Ezra is the son of Allah’; and the Christians say, ‘The Messiah is the son of Allah.’ That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them; how are they deluded?”

Notice how belief that Ezra is the son of Allah is juxtaposed with the Christian belief that the Messiah is the Son of Allah. Hence, what this verse is implying is that Jews believe that Ezra is the Son of Allah in the same way that Christians believe Jesus is the Son of Allah. However, Christians believe that Jesus was the Divine son of God, therefore, for the juxtaposition to hold, this verse must imply that the Jews believe Ezra was also the Divine son of God.

I have looked into Jewish sources, such as the Old Testament, inter-testamental literature, apocryphal works and the Talmud but I haven’t found anywhere where they Jews affirmed that Ezra was the Son of Allah.

I would like for Muslims to please give me some sources outside of islamic literature which would corroborate this claim. I asking for non-Islamic sources because, looking at this from a historical point of view, in order to test if a claim is historical viable, one must check independent sources. If a source is multiple and independently attested, then its more likely to be true. Also, Islamic sources may have an axe to grind since they start from the premise that the Quran must be true because it’s the word of God. However, if a non-Islamic source admits that this story is true, then its more likely to be true. So please, could anyone give me any sources? Thanks

Never have I heard in my teachings of this “Ezra” what is it and also I just want to point out WE don’t think there ever was a son of god I never heard of this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra
^Does this help?

Thanks for your reply. I think the name “Ezra” is the english equivalent to the Hebrew “Azaryahu,” which, the English tends to butcher. I’m glad you point out that you don’t believe that he was “the Son of God.” In fact, every Jewish person I have spoken to outright rejects this claim and is something they never heard of. I remain puzzled as to the origin of this Islamic belief.

First of all, thank you for your reply. I have looked over the article and unfortunately, it does not give me what I’m looking for. The wikipedia article goes over the literature in which “Ezra” appears in, but it does not say anything concerning him being the “Son of God.”

Ezra, as in the Book of Ezra in the Tanakh.

Traditionally Judaism credits Ezra with establishing the Great Assembly of scholars and prophets, the forerunner of the Sanhedrin, as the authority on matters of religious law. The Great Assembly is credited with establishing numerous features of contemporary traditional Judaism in something like their present form, including Torah reading, the Amidah, and establishing the feast of Purim.

It would seem odd that a Jew would not know who Ezra is and would refer to him as a ‘what’. Just saying…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.