Muslims4Lent

From the Independent, Muslims on social media are taking up self-denial for Lent as a deliberately ecumenical act.

Note to self: (try to) fast during Ramadan this year.

A great gesture from them.

Ecumenical acts like these are a great reminder of the Islamic-Christo Tradition and our shared values.

There is no Islamic-Christo traditons. That is a bogus myth.

I disagree. Muslims and Christians share many common beliefs regarding Christ, in addition to purely Abrahamic similarities.

Not exactly. It Muslims believe that Jesus was merely a prophet, with Mohammed being the greater prophet.

Of course there are huge differences, you’re right; they are a different religion, after all. Nonetheless, we have a great deal in common.

Apparently there is a hash tag going around on Twitter called #muslimsforlent. I have no personal opinion on this as I do not wish to open up debate on who can observe Lenten disciplines. I do want to express my concern that this pseudo adoption of “giving up things for Lent” by muslims could cause strife within muslim families who might wrongly assume that a young muslim taking part in this show of solidarity might be lured away from their muslim faith. The young person might understand that what they are doing is merely symbolic but their parents might not “get it” and even in America there are horrific stories of honor killings (specifically by fathers of their daughters) carried out to prevent a child from converting to christianity.

The sentiment that these young muslims are expressing in their symbolic sharing of the lenten season with christians is very admirable and filled with great love but it is not worth the misunderstandings that might occur.

What we christians would like from all non-christians is prayers to God for peace and genuine compassion and understanding between all peoples-regardless of their faith.

Pray for an end to the violence that is taking the lives of innocents.

Pray for the end of abortion which takes the unborn innocents.

Pray for the rejection of all forms of immorality, which seeks to ruin young lives and endanger souls.

Love one another and defend those who cannot defend themselves.

Live lives of virtue that will inspire others to do likewise.

Most important be true to yourselves and steadfast in your faith, trusting in God always and in all things.

Thank you and may you continue to be blessed.

Noble sentiments to be commended!

Does the Qur’an actually encourage fathers to kill their children if the latter intend to convert?

Well, it’s nice to know how little you think of us. I’m feelin’ the love already.

Praying with you.

Just a small digression, there are many aspects of Islam that are highly commendable. (Note: I did not say all) They fast during Ramadan, from sunrise to sunset, I think.

They actually fast from dawn (which is even before sunrise) to sunset. I’ve done it before and it involves not only abstaining from food but also water for up to about 16 hours or even longer in some places. It’s not easy. So this coming Ramadan which will start in June, the fasting time when no water or food is allowed for Muslims will be from about 4:00 AM until about 8:00 PM for a whole month in the US. Smoking and sexual intercourse are also forbidden for Muslims during this time.

Abstaining from smoking, drinking and intercourse was once a catholic discipline during Lent way back when but, not surprising, it is not widely practiced in the states anymore. I think it is a real sign of sacrifice to deny yourself these types of things and it helps in freeing you up to focus fully on God. Giving up sweets doesn’t take as much willpower as giving up the really tough stuff.

If my thread has offended anyone it was not my intention so please be assured of my sincere apology. I just think about all the stuff that could happen because we have heard of it happening before and being concerned about the welfare of others is the opposite of insensitive. I would want someone to care about my welfare in the same way if they thought something might happen to me. This is all I meant and anything else was never implied.

Muslims deny that Jesus is the Son of God. Muslims claim that Jews and Christians have corrupted the Bible. Muslims claim that Jesus was not crucified on the Cross, it was someone else which means that the resurrection which is the cornerstone of what we believe as Christians is a lie. Where in the world can anyone claim that the two faiths are similar or have a lot in common? You can’t. Muslims also deny the trinity and accuse us of worshiping three Gods. The only similarity is that Mohammed took some Nestorian heretical ideas and mixed them with some Jewish and Zoroastrian ideas to come up with Islam. You can’t blend the two faiths at all in an effort to be nice. Islam claims Mohammed is the final and last prophet. Christianity claims that Jesus is the Son of God, the second person in the trinity. Mohammed is considered a false prophet, he denies who Jesus is.

This is a valid question.

Only someone learned in the Qur’an can answer it for certain. I suspect, however that it does not.

But we do know that in many nations, the punishment for apostasy from Islam is death, and I’m fairly certain that is in the Qur’an and part of Sharia law which finds its basis in the Qur’an.

Bullseye.
:thumbsup:

But we do know that in many nations, the punishment for apostasy from Islam is death, and I’m fairly certain that is in the Qur’an and part of Sharia law which finds its basis in the Qur’an.

You’re “fairly certain” it’s in the Qur’an?

This is in the Qur’an:

“Let there be no compulsion in religion” - Quran 2:256

Can you tell us where in the Qur’an it says apostates should be killed?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

From my cursory investiagtion, it seems that only in the Hadith is apostasy explicitly punishable by death.

That link doesn’t have any references in the Qur’an at all to killing apostates. Merely that apostasy is condemned by God and will be punished by Him.

This is unlike the Old Testament which does prescribe the death penalty for apostasy:

“If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.” - Deuteronomy 13:6-11

Regarding the “Hadith” - that is, people claiming that Muhammad said something at some time - they contradict one another, Muslims disagree about which Hadith are correct, and there is good evidence that Muhammad forbid the collecting of Hadith (sayings), claiming that the Qur’an was the correct focus for Muslims.

If one wants to understand apostasy at the time of Muhammad, it is important to realize that the Muslims had been attacked by various tribal groups who were seeking to kill and enslave them. Under those particular conditions apostasy constituted treason (ie: changing sides in a war).

I haven’t seen any evidence that the Qur’an prescribes the death penalty for apostasy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.