Must a count of venial sins be included in confession?

[This got long…bear with me.]

Our pastor has insisted from the pulpit that people not confess general faults but always give specific instances of all sins.

I have no problem with respect to mortal sins. I know when I’ve committed a serious sin–my conscience won’t let me forget. Describing and enumerating such sins is not a problem.

But venial sins are much harder to remember and count. I often only have a vague idea that what I’m doing is a venial sin, until I consider it later. Example: I have a list of errands to do—say, things to do to maintain our property, some grocery shopping, balancing the checkbook, etc. I have a duty to do my share of the work for the household. Instead though, I spend more time watching football, playing on the computer, reading the newspaper. There’s some laziness involved. Eventually everything gets done; it may be put off, but it gets done in the next few days. I’m a “last minute” kind of guy…stuff gets done but I tend to wait until it has to get done.

See the problem? Do I count the number of times I played solitaire instead of “getting to it?” How many stories I read in the paper as I stalled? How many football games I may have watched as I surfed the TV? Or just that I stalled a lot one Saturday. Or am I being a scrupe to be getting down into such minutiae?

Here’s a complicating factor as well: I’m bi-polar and while my meds keep it under control there are still behaviors that can be traced back to the condition–a short fuse at times; sleeplessness; low-grade depression that makes it difficult to get started, a tendency toward compulsive actions. Some confessors understand the issue; some don’t and seem to see it as excuse-making…which it is to a certain extent (but how much?). A sin is a sin whatever the circumstances, although the circumstances (bi-polar) may render a sin less serious than it would have been with full intent aforethought.

What I have done in the past is described my laziness as best I could in confession, but the counting part as our very young pastor–who is a very bright and delightful man–insists must be done is a daunting order.

To boot, I’m almost 70. Remembering, never mind counting, all these kinds of sins is not something I can do any more. I do know what kinds of sins I commit; after this much time I know my faults and have a pretty good sense of the types of sins I struggle with day to day. But after a month passes to say I was lazy on 3 days vs. 10 days vs. every single day and how many times each day is simply not possible. How should I confess these sins honestly?

This must be a problem for a lot of people–I can’t imagine it isn’t an issue since our pastor has found it necessary to preach on it more than once from the pulpit. He recommended a daily examination of conscience–which I try to do. But remembering the product of my examinations is still an issue. And journaling has never been something I was good at–especially at the end of the day…and who wants to leave a dairy of one’s sins lying around the house?

The following links should help answer your questions about confession. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Why is it important that I confess the number of times I have committed a sin?
How specific should I be during confession?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.