Must a person receive the sacrament of confession before receiving the sacrament of the sick?

Hello. If a person is able, must he/she receive the sacrament of confession before receiving the sacrament of the sick?

Yes, unless they are unable to confess because they are
unconscious or mentally unable to do so.

Does it say this in the Code of Canon Law or in the Catechism or in some other official Catholic document? :confused:

Note that, as with Communion, Confession is mandatory only if one has a mortal sin to confess.

I figured that but thank you for telling me anyway. :slight_smile:

Here’s the answer: of all the sacraments, only two can be enjoined while in a state of mortal sin. These are baptism and confession. For all other sacraments, one must be properly disposed (in a state of sanctifying grace) to validly participate. Hence, the answer to your original question is yes, if possible, one must confess mortal sins before recieving any sacrament (other than baptism)

I expected most people did. However, in taking Communion to the homebound I still encounter an occasional case of someone who believes they must go to confession within 24 hours before. It seems worth the effort to inform a few who don’t know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.