Must I believe that Muslims worship my God?

The Catechism says Muslims worship my God. I have strong convictions that the Muslim God is not my God. Since the Catechism is an example of the ordinary Magisterium, is this an example of where I may privately and respectfully disagree?

[quote=Ziggamafu]The Catechism says Muslims worship my God.
[/quote]

Let’s first look at that passage:

The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day” (CCC 841).

This does not say that Muslims have the same understanding of God’s nature that Catholics have, or that Muslim public worship is the same as the Mass. All it says is that Muslims worship the one true God, however imperfectly they understand his nature and what he requires of mankind. Please see these links:

The Catechism on Islam by Jimmy Akin
Muslims Worship the One True God by Fr. Brian W. Harrison, O.S.

[quote=Ziggamafu]I have strong convictions that the Muslim God is not my God. Since the Catechism is an example of the ordinary Magisterium, is this an example of where I may privately and respectfully disagree?
[/quote]

Simply because a particular Church teaching is a part of the ordinary Magisterium does not mean that the teaching is “up for grabs,” so to speak. It certainly does not mean that one can pick and choose what one will believe from the ordinary magisterial teaching of the Church, based on one’s own private feelings.

We may not understand why the Church teaches as it does; our personal feelings may rebel against such an understanding and prompt us to disregard the Church’s teaching; but we must be obedient to Church teaching and give religious assent to it:

Divine assistance is also given to the successors of the apostles, teaching in communion with the successor of Peter, and, in a particular way, to the bishop of Rome, pastor of the whole Church, when, without arriving at an infallible definition and without pronouncing in a “definitive manner,” they propose in the exercise of the ordinary Magisterium a teaching that leads to better understanding of revelation in matters of faith and morals. To this ordinary teaching the faithful “are to adhere to it with religious assent” which, though distinct from the assent of faith, is nonetheless an extension of it (CCC 892; emphasis added).

I recommend that you study the issue more deeply to better understand why the Church teaches that Muslims worship the one true God and pray to God for the grace that your personal feelings will be brought into alignment with the Church’s teaching on this issue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.