Must one be confirmed to receive the Eucharist?

I was baptised Catholic, made it through my First Communion, and then fell away from the Church. I never received the Sacrament of Confirmation. I’ve since realized the errors of my way and am coming “home”. I would like to participate in the Eucharist but have not done so because I don’t know if Confirmation is required of me first. I know that I must attend confessional, but am confused about the need for Confirmation. Your help is appreciated.

First, let me say, God bless you, and welcome home! You may receive Eucharist before you receive the sacrament of Confirmation. However, since the faithful are bound to receive the sacrament of Confirmation “at the proper time” (age of reason), I recommend you speak with your pastor about enrolling in a confirmation program as soon as possible.

Canon law:

Can. 890 - The faithful are bound to receive the sacrament at the proper time. Parents and pastors of souls, especially parish priests, are to see that the faithful are properly instructed to receive the sacrament and come to it at the opportune time.

Canon 842 §2 The sacraments of baptism, confirmation and the blessed Eucharist so complement one another that all three are required for full christian initiation.

Catechism:

1306 Every baptized person not yet confirmed can and should receive the sacrament of Confirmation.123 Since Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist form a unity, it follows that "the faithful are obliged to receive this sacrament at the appropriate time,"124 for without Confirmation and Eucharist, Baptism is certainly valid and efficacious, but Christian initiation remains incomplete.

You are in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.