Must the Eucharist be exposed during adoration?

I was reading the thread What is adoration? and it reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask for a long time. My church has a side chapel containing the tabernacle, some very nice kneelers, a statue of Our Lady of Fatima, and a lovely ornate crucifix above the tabernacle. There are several candles in this chapel. It is very beautiful. I have heard it said that this is the “adoration chapel” and I have gone in to pray there several times, say a rosary, think, even to read – but I have never seen a monstrance there at all. Is it still adoration if the host is not exposed in a monstrance?

Yes, eucharistic adoration can be conducted even when the host is locked in the tabernacle of a side chapel. The benefit to having the Eucharist locked in the tabernacle is that the chapel does not have to be staffed with volunteer adorers all of the time, as it does when the Eucharist is exposed in a monstrance for perpetual adoration. A church with such a chapel can allow people to come in when they are able and only needs to make sure the Eucharist is kept company during those hours in which it is exposed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.