Must the words of Baptism be said aloud?

My question is whether or not the words “I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” have to be said out loud in order for the baptism to be valid. I said them in quiet prayer over my step brother who was dying. While saying the words in my mind I poured the Holy Water over his forehead making the sign of the cross. My brother had recently begged for forgiveness and said he was sorry for all of his past wrong doings. He also acknowleged acceptance and desire for me to pray for God’s Blessings on him. When I later reassured him of Gods Love, Mercy and Foregiveness, my brother was able to surrender himself into His Loving Care. That is my hope and desire !

Hi,

The words should be said aloud as in the administering of all the sacraments. But since you didn't know this and intended to do what the Church intends--and in fact said the words silently, God in His mercy can make up for such lack.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.