Must we always obey our confessors?

I have a specific question in regard to obeying your confessor.

It is my understanding that when one commits sacrilege by withholding a grave sin in Confession, no sins are forgiven, and all of the sins confessed in the invalid Confession must be confessed in the next Confession along with the hidden sin and the fact that you hid the sin

Now, if you are concerned that you invalidated a past confession by withholding a grave sin or being deceitful, and bring this to Confession, and your confessor states that you do not need to reconfess all the sins from the invalid confession, what should the penitent do?

Do or do not do whatever your confessor tells you. He is standing in for Jesus and you can trust him.

[quote="Robnv, post:1, topic:338746"]
Now, if you are concerned that you invalidated a past confession by withholding a grave sin or being deceitful, and bring this to Confession, and your confessor states that you do not need to reconfess all the sins from the invalid confession, what should the penitent do?

[/quote]

Obey.

The only exception is if your confessor orders you to sin.

You should be including whether or not you completed the assigned penance as well as any sins. Sometimes what might seem an easy penance turns out not to be. Sometimes one needs confession before one can complete the assigned penance. (Not all penances are quick and easy. I've had simple but week long penances on several occasions.)

[quote="Aramis, post:4, topic:338746"]
The only exception is if your confessor orders you to sin.

You should be including whether or not you completed the assigned penance as well as any sins. Sometimes what might seem an easy penance turns out not to be. Sometimes one needs confession before one can complete the assigned penance. (Not all penances are quick and easy. I've had simple but week long penances on several occasions.)

[/quote]

Technically, is it not a sin to withhold mortal sins in confession?

[quote="Robnv, post:1, topic:338746"]
I have a specific question in regard to obeying your confessor.

It is my understanding that when one commits sacrilege by withholding a grave sin in Confession, no sins are forgiven, and all of the sins confessed in the invalid Confession must be confessed in the next Confession along with the hidden sin and the fact that you hid the sin

[/quote]

The confesses is standing in the place of Jesus so his command is the same as if Jesus commanded something. Of course disobeying Jesus is a sin

[quote="Loving_disciple, post:6, topic:338746"]
The confesses is standing in the place of Jesus so his command is the same as if Jesus commanded something. Of course disobeying Jesus is a sin

[/quote]

a...it is not quite like that.

[quote="Robnv, post:5, topic:338746"]

[/quote]

Yes deliberately withholding a mortal sin in confession is sinful (mortal sin under the usual conditions for such) and would be mentioned along with the mortal sin that was withheld and normally with those other mortal sins (if any) which where confessed in the that invalid confession.

Now there can be some "exceptions" but normally such is the case...

We are talking about withholding some mortal sin. One is not obliged to confess venial sins (though it is good and recommended to confess at least some) and one is not obliged to confess a doubtful sin (ie I doubt I gave deliberate consent) (though those with a normal conscience are recommended to do so- noting there is doubt).

The fact that a person is "concerned" but seemly not certain that they withheld a mortal sin can be an indication to a confessor in giving his direction to that penitent....

(Also -I think if it is the same Priest who heard the other confession who recalls it-- that too ....may make a difference)

[/quote]

When? The second time? You have already confessed them.

So you are not withholding them; you are just not repeating them. Different issue.

It is entirely possible the priest (second one) perceives an issue of scrupulosity, at which point you need to follow exactly what he is saying.

And if scrupulosity is an issue with you, then you need to 1) get a confessor who understands and can deal with the problem and 2) stop trying to get advice on the internet, as that is a symptom pf scrupulosity in action. Furthermore, most people who answer these issues on the internet are not trained to do so.

[/quote]

Sometimes people think something is a mortal sin, when it's not. This is particularly true of those who suffer from scruples. It is very important, in those cases, to follow the advice of the confessor, and not to be constantly second-guessing him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.