Must women have long hair?

I have a question about hair length, as mentioned by Saint Paul in the book of I Corinthians. I’d just like to start with a little background information. I have had an eating disorder (anorexia with bulimic tendencies) for the last three years. My hair has fallen out several times as a result of starvation, and I keep it in a pixie cut in order to keep it looking nice and healthy. If I grow it out, it looks quite shaggy, fried, and broken. I know that Saint Paul mentioned that women should have long hair as a covering in order to please their spiritual head (their husband). Does this still apply to Christians today, or was it merely a custom of the time? If the woman is not married or is in my situation, is short hair permissible? I’m just curious because I want to please God with my outer appearance, but this particular passage has me confused and bothered.

Thank you very much for your time, and God bless.

Hi,

That was his preference and indicative of the culture of the time. It was not a moral directive.

Fr.Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.