Must you go to confession ASAP?

Is it wrong to wait until the next Saturday (or whenever confession is at your parish) to go to confession? Must you make an appointment, then, every time you mortally sin?

It’s not necessarily wrong, but it’s pretty risky to go around for long in mortal sin. What if something happens and you die? Not to be paranoid but it does happen. The best solution is just to stop sinning mortally!

:slight_smile:

Good morning Kelsey,

Your post reminded me of Fr. Serpa’s answer ( today ) to a somewhat similar ( in my mind ) question in Ask An Apologist. " Is it wrong … ", " Must you … " ; these words call to mind some important issues. Mother church teaches that if we are conscious of " grave " sin , we should go to confession before receiving Our Lord in Holy Eucharist . Also , we are taught that if we die with unrepented mortal sin on our soul, we will lose eternity with Our Lord. In my mind these two teachings are great cause to make certain I search out a confessor ASAP when I am aware of having committed a mortal ( grave ) sin.

Kelsey, for me personally, waiting until my parish’s Saturday confession date is not satisfactory. I think of it this way; when my beloved husband says or does something that has hurt me, I’m only too happy when he and I talk about and resolve it without delay . If it is not important enough ( to him ) to warrant resolving ASAP, then I feel even more hurt. Well, how much more important ( to me ) is my relationship with Christ, my Savior ! I can’t help but think about His coming and dying on the cross to save me from my sins in order that I may be with Him for all eternity. When I think about His unselfish love for me, I cannot help but want to do all and everything humanly possible to thank Him for His mercy and love ; and to ask Him for His grace to increase my faith so that I will be worthy to be with Him for eternity. I cannot do any of this without His help, on my own I am weak but with His grace my faith is increased. Telling Him ( in confession ) that I am sorry I have offended Him can never happen too soon for me. Only because it’s true , I am sorry and I love Him.
I don’t know if this helps you at all, but I hope you have a chance to read Fr. Serpa’s Ask An Apologist about daily mass. He can say it far better than I can.

God bless you on your faith journey Kelsey.

Good morning Kelsey,

Your post reminded me of Fr. Serpa’s answer ( today ) to a somewhat similar ( in my mind ) question in Ask An Apologist. " Is it wrong … ", " Must you … " ; these words call to mind some important issues. Mother church teaches that if we are conscious of " grave " sin , we should go to confession before receiving Our Lord in Holy Eucharist . Also , we are taught that if we die with unrepented mortal sin on our soul, we will lose eternity with Our Lord. In my mind these two teachings are great cause to make certain I search out a confessor ASAP when I am aware of having committed a mortal ( grave ) sin.

Kelsey, for me personally, waiting until my parish’s Saturday confession date is not satisfactory. I think of it this way; when my beloved husband says or does something that has hurt me, I’m only too happy when he and I talk about and resolve it without delay . If it is not important enough ( to him ) to warrant resolving ASAP, then I feel even more hurt. Well, how much more important ( to me ) is my relationship with Christ, my Savior ! I can’t help but think about His coming and dying on the cross to save me from my sins in order that I may be with Him for all eternity. When I think about His unselfish love for me, I cannot help but want to do all and everything humanly possible to thank Him for His mercy and love ; and to ask Him for His grace to increase my faith so that I will be worthy to be with Him for eternity. I cannot do any of this without His help, on my own I am weak but with His grace my faith is increased. Telling Him ( in confession ) that I am sorry I have offended Him can never happen too soon for me. Only because it’s true , I am sorry and I love Him.
I don’t know if this helps you at all, but I hope you have a chance to read Fr. Serpa’s Ask An Apologist about daily mass. He can say it far better than I can.

God bless you on your faith journey Kelsey.

Sorry my reply came thru twice; I am a little computer " challenged " ! LOL

It’s not wrong, but once you commit a mortal sin, it’s good to go to confession within a week.

Your series of questions so far here make me think that perhaps you struggle with scruples. Do you have a regular confessor???

To answer your question above…No it is not wrong to wait for the next scheduled time.
When you recognize that you have sinned seriously and possibly mortally…
[LIST=1]
*]Repent immediately
*]Say a deeply sincere Act of contrition
*]Commit to getting to confession as soon as “reasonably” possible.
*]Then stick to that commitment.
[/LIST]
To address the matter of having a regular confessor and the questions you are asking here today…Make sure that he is aware of these and then be guided by his advice.

Peace
James

Risky, but I wouldn’t call it yet another sin. You don’t know when your time is up, so if you know of a mortal sin (and, from your other posts, I wonder if you’re too cautious) confess it as soon as you can. If it’s not mortal, say an act of contrition now and resolve yourself to avoid that sin going forward.

I really think you should find a spiritual director or at least someone you can talk with on a frequent basis. You seem to be overly anxious about sin, and while it’s good to be vigilant, I tell you I’ve done things far worse than you and found that Mercy is enduring. Trust in the Grace we receive in the Sacraments and let go of feelings of anxiety. Trust Jesus.

It is good to go as soon as possible....(ie after a daily Mass one does not of course Communicate at, call for appointment, at a Cathedral or Monastery or Shrine...and of course making a perfect act of contrition right away)

It’s not something I would put off. If you can’t get to Confession, I wouldn’t be going out and doing anything stupid like dangerous driving or flying some place.

I was wondering the same thing…

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.