Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir

This may be a long shot on a Catholic forum, but I’ll ask anyway. :smiley:

Has anyone read Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir?
I understand he became a born-again Christian, but I am still concerned that it might make the drugs & sex seem glamorous to a teenager.
On the other hand, it would be great if the takeaway message is that you can be a metal musician and not have to go through all that garbage.

Are there any other books about metal that are into creating good rather than evil?

I haven't read it. There are precious few Christians in metal. I know Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden is one and is pretty vocal about it but hasn't swayed the other members to sign on. I'm a big Maiden fan and wish he could get through to them! :) Dave Mustaine is about the last guy I'd think would convert...I'm surprised.

I remember reading an interview with Mustaine when I was in high school (early 1990s) in “Heaven’s Metal” magazine. Back then he was talking about being a Christian. He said there are a few of Megadeth’s early songs he’d no longer play in concert because of their Satanic imagery and words. However, he also seemed to have some strange ideas for a Christian too. If I remember correctly he didn’t believe in the trinity and I think he had some doubts about the virgin birth. Even then he was claiming to be a Christian and as far as I know he’s never renounced that description, but his beliefs seems to be more of an inpersonal distant God.

ChadS

[quote="GraceSofia, post:1, topic:213607"]
This may be a long shot on a Catholic forum, but I'll ask anyway. :D

Has anyone read Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir?

I understand he became a born-again Christian, but I am still concerned that it might make the drugs & sex seem glamorous to a teenager.
On the other hand, it would be great if the takeaway message is that you can be a metal musician and not have to go through all that garbage.

Are there any other books about metal that are into creating good rather than evil?

[/quote]

There's an excerpt of Mustaine's book in last month's issue of Guitar Magazine. The excerpt I read was basically him meeting Lars Ulrich (Metallica) for the first time and being overly impressed and impressionable. FWIW, though I don't think any kids will take up drugs and sex from reading his bio, I do think Brian "Head" Welch from Korn is a better example of what you're asking.

[quote="ChadS, post:3, topic:213607"]
I remember reading an interview with Mustaine when I was in high school (early 1990s) in "Heaven's Metal" magazine. Back then he was talking about being a Christian. He said there are a few of Megadeth's early songs he'd no longer play in concert because of their Satanic imagery and words. However, he also seemed to have some strange ideas for a Christian too. If I remember correctly he didn't believe in the trinity and I think he had some doubts about the virgin birth. Even then he was claiming to be a Christian and as far as I know he's never renounced that description, but his beliefs seems to be more of an inpersonal distant God.

ChadS

[/quote]

His mother was a Jehovah Witness and they don't believe in the Trinity. Or the Virgin Birth, I would imagine. It would probably take a while for him to overcome the bad theology he had absorbed.

You’re probably right. For one thing, they are exposed to so much stuff from all sorts of media anyway that one book is not going to make a difference. And hopefully he writes about it in such a way as to show that it did not make him happy.

I do think Brian “Head” Welch from Korn is a better example of what you’re asking.

Just did a quick search and see that he has written an autobiography called, Save Me From Myself . Have you read it?
Why do you say he is a better example? By his life or his book? I happen to know that my son is a great admirer of Dave Mustaine but I’ve never heard him mention Brian Welch (although that doesn’t mean a lot, since I don’t like metal so we don’t talk about it too much).

[quote="GraceSofia, post:6, topic:213607"]
You're probably right. For one thing, they are exposed to so much stuff from all sorts of media anyway that one book is not going to make a difference. And hopefully he writes about it in such a way as to show that it did not make him happy.
Just did a quick search and see that he has written an autobiography called, Save Me From Myself . Have you read it?
Why do you say he is a better example? By his life or his book? I happen to know that my son is a great admirer of Dave Mustaine but I've never heard him mention Brian Welch (although that doesn't mean a lot, since I don't like metal so we don't talk about it too much).

[/quote]

I say he's a better example because the other members of Korn made fun of him when he embraced his faith. (Didn't happen with Mustaine or with anyone from Iron Maiden, for that matter.) Also, I thought it was/is unusual that he (Welch) plays shows for churches and church groups in addition to regular "secular" shows. Look at the venues where he's playing:
myspace.com/brianheadwelch

Thanks to all who responded.
For people, like me :D, who like to know the end of stories... I decided it would be a good thing to get one of the books.
In the end, I went with the Dave Mustaine because I know my son likes him, and because part of the Welch book that I could see inside at Amazon looked like too heavy-handed born-again-type preaching which I think would turn him off. I liked it, but not sure he would.

Well, we gave it to him for his birthday, and he read it in 2 days, which is very fast considering his schedule. I overheard him saying it "was the most thoughtful gift ever." He said that I should read it, and I will, out of curiosity.

[quote="havana1, post:4, topic:213607"]
There's an excerpt of Mustaine's book in last month's issue of Guitar Magazine. The excerpt I read was basically him meeting Lars Ulrich (Metallica) for the first time and being overly impressed and impressionable. FWIW, though I don't think any kids will take up drugs and sex from reading his bio, I do think Brian "Head" Welch from Korn is a better example of what you're asking.

[/quote]

I read Welch's First Autobiography and basically liked it. He is a sincere Christian and he has stood up against even some of the songs his Ex-Bandmates in Korn still do. :thumbsup:

Will have to check this out. Mustaine has been born again for awhile though, no?

Will also check out Welch's book, sounds good.

[quote="Celticnovice, post:11, topic:213607"]
Will have to check this out. Mustaine has been born again for awhile though, no?

[/quote]

I don't know yet-- I still haven't read the book. :D But searching "Dave Mustaine Christian" gives a few hits which indicate he has been Christian for at least a few years.

Here, in 2007, he talks about why he Won't Share A Stage With 'Satanists'

[quote="GraceSofia, post:9, topic:213607"]
Well, we gave it to him for his birthday, and he read it in 2 days, which is very fast considering his schedule. I overheard him saying it "was the most thoughtful gift ever." He said that I should read it, and I will, out of curiosity.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing the update. Let us know about the book once you are able to read it. :)

[quote="Joe_5859, post:13, topic:213607"]
Thanks for sharing the update. Let us know about the book once you are able to read it. :)

[/quote]

Joe,
Thank you for your interest. Will do, but it has to wait until I finish Padre Pio. :)

[quote="GraceSofia, post:14, topic:213607"]
Joe,
Thank you for your interest. Will do, but it has to wait until I finish Padre Pio. :)

[/quote]

:p I suppose Padre Pio is a better role model than Dave Mustaine, so I'll wait. :D

Okay, here is my review of the book. :D

At first, I thought I was not going to be able to get past the 4-letter words, but I did, and it was worth it. (The bad language decreases as he grows up).

I was fascinated by the look inside the music business.

Mustaine is very honest about what his addictions cost him, and the effect on other people around him. It is a good book for teenagers and young adults to learn about the nightmare of drug and alcohol addiction.
The book is quite well-written; it has some humourous bits, and he talks about his faith in a real way, without being preachy. Not the sort of book I would normally read, but I liked it.

[quote="GraceSofia, post:16, topic:213607"]
Okay, here is my review of the book. :D

At first, I thought I was not going to be able to get past the 4-letter words, but I did, and it was worth it. (The bad language decreases as he grows up).

I was fascinated by the look inside the music business.

Mustaine is very honest about what his addictions cost him, and the effect on other people around him. It is a good book for teenagers and young adults to learn about the nightmare of drug and alcohol addiction.
The book is quite well-written; it has some humourous bits, and he talks about his faith in a real way, without being preachy. Not the sort of book I would normally read, but I liked it.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing. Good to know. :thumbsup:

Mustaine has to be better than some metal singers these days. Most are atheistic. At least Mustaine is on the Christian side.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.