My 12 yr old is a diabetic?

It’s ok to go a little crazy at first. You’re allowed to cry.

I was diagnosed 9 years ago with Type II diabetes; since my father (dxed in his late 60’s) and great-uncle had it, I guess it was just my turn to get it now.

It’s a bother and a bore, I know, but it IS manageable. You may find as her blood glucose levels become more stable, her medicine might be reduced. I know it happened with me.

Contrary to popular wisdom, you cannot give yourself diabetes from eating too many sweets, though diet is a big tool in controlling it.

Thank God you caught it in time. But you and your wife and other children (if any) should be checked because diabetes seems to be genetic.

Good morning all. And thank you again for the prayers. We had every intention of going to 8am mass today because we figured we’d be wide awake after the scheduled 6 am blood test and insulin injection. Not true. I’m awake, but not wide awake. My daughter went back to sleep and is doing very well. Her blood sugar is slowly dropping and has been approaching 200 *(the goal is to get and keep it below 180).
Last night I gave her the bedtime injection, at her request. It was my second time doing that. She said it hurt, but not as bad as when mom gives them! :wink: But she said that when she does it herself it hurts a lot less, she she is going to inject herself more often. Honestly I think she is better at doing it than either my wife or myself, but we all were trained on how to do it at the hospital.

We went out yesterday to buy supplies, appropriate foods, etc. Much of what we concentrated on were snacks that she could take to school in her lunches. At home we have a scale and can calculate carbohydrates, but at school we wanted to be able to let her toss some snacks in her backpack that she was allowed to eat. We also picked up a “sharps” disposal container, alcohol swabs, and all sorts of other needed supplies.

One thing we cannot find, but maybe need to go to the internet for, is a transportable “kit” bag that will allow us to carry insulin, syringes, etc when we our out. She has a carry “kit” for her blood test meter & its supplies. But we have no safe way of carrying the actual syringes. It must be “cute” so she can carry it to school and it must be small so it can fit into her* (or my wife’s)* purse when we go out to the movies or dinner.

Does anyone know were we can get a “cute” syringe & insulin carry pack?

Finding kits is very easy. It is one of those soft lunch pails that have the blue ice containers. It can be worn around the waist or over the shoulder. Buy extra blue ice containers.

If you are looking for one that rescue personnel can find, don’t. It will just make her feel more akward (sp?). Make sure she gets a good medic alert bracelet though. One that will last and will not turn on her (no green med bacelets please). Also make sure it becomes a permanant part of her wardrobe. You can order these online, or pick up the forms at any major retail pharmacy. I would recommend that you get the ones with a phone number on it so that if med allergies develop, or any other serious conditions develop the rescue personnel can call and get an update. If you can’t affford such a service, simply put diabetic, type one on the back. It’s a peace of mind you can’t ignore.

I am praying for all of you.

I was diagnosed at age 11, 22 years ago. My parents say they were more nervous taking me home from the hospital at that time, than they were taking my older brother home as a newborn.

I suggest looking at the ADA for the packs you are looking for. I was always able to keep my needles and insulin with my testing supplies.

Hopefully, your doctors will talk to you about using an infusion set in the near future. This pump makes life much easier and healthier.

PM me if you want to talk. I could also get you in contact with my parents as they are pros–within 5 years of my diagnosis, my two siblings also came down with it. We live very fulfilling lives with travel, work and family.

What is an infusion set? Is that the pump system? If so, how does it work? How is it connected to your body (is there an IV tube?). I know nothing about this.

About all I know is that one of the other girls at her school is diabetic and wears a ‘pump’ but I don’t know what that is :confused:

I am not sure myself, but I just saw this one in a search.

focuspharmacy.com/acatalog/Paradigm_722_and_522_Insulin_Pumps.html

If anything, it might be good to go to a big local pharmacy, and talk to them about it. There are so many diebetics, that they should have a lot of knowledge about supplies.

How is your daughter doing emotionally, and I guess for that matter yourself? Oh editing this again, I see you answered that. When I ended up having my kidneys fail and had to go on dailysis, it was much easier on me than it was my parents. (I’m 28, but living at home ever since the first flare up of the kidney disease back when I was 21.)

One has a much easier time having some intution of what is going on in one’s body, than someone else does who is just guessing. The person directly affected, can help to manage things themselves; the person not directly affected can only do so much, which makes things a bit more vulnerable. Plus if its a parent they that ups the ante on how much you care about the situation. Things will stabilize out, and managing the whole thing, will just because just like managing your day without – a choir you do second nature.

Further comment on wearing a Medic-Alert bracelet:

Make sure she carries a list of ALL medicines she is taking, not just insulin, as well as doseage and times, and make sure there is a list of such at her school.

<<What is an infusion set? Is that the pump system? If so, how does it work? How is it connected to your body (is there an IV tube?). I know nothing about this. About all I know is that one of the other girls at her school is diabetic and wears a ‘pump’ but I don’t know what that is>>

One thing at the time. Right now, follow her doctor’s advice. EVERY case of diabetes is different and has to be managed differently.

Your daughter is in my prayers…

Keeping your daughter in prayer…
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_14_3.gifJMJ

Bob,

Jesus was with your family that day. Your story is a perfect example of how even in our darkest hour God is with us and good things happen. I pray for your daughter, may Jesus hold her in the palm of his hand and keep her safe. I pray for your family. St. Mary and Joseph be with these parents as they experience this great trial. Comfort them and guide them.

I will also pray for you at daily mass today.

praying, and adding her to ongoing diabetes prayer chain.
Granddaughter was diagnosed at age 11, 4 yrs ago (her father is also diabetic). Today she is doing everything she enjoyed then, and more, including diving, b-ball, soccer and Irish dance. She will be working as a lifeguard next year in a summer camp for diabetic children she attended as a camper. She is in charge of her testing, injections, and diet, and eats very well, and also make sure her dad sticks to his rules (which he was lax about before). I have certainly learned what she told me at the time I was diagnosed is true–the key is education. learn everything you can, and don’t let the disease run the family. Your daughter is in an excellent facility, you could not have chosen better.

I will pray for you and your family. I am glad to hear your daughter is doing better.

For a “cool” medical alert bracelet that your daughter won`t be embarrassed from wearing, try laurenshope.com. They have lots of variety and styles.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

I just ordered a couple of HOT PINK “dog tags” and a sport bracelet from www.laurenshope.com

I’m looking for a “medic alert” charm for her charm bracelet. I’m trying to give her several different options. So when she is playing sports she’ll have one type, when she is dressed up she’ll have a nicer one, etc. I figure the dog tags will be good to hang from her back pack or purse?

As for her condition, she is home and she is adjusting well. My wife is also doing great. I’m still stressed out over the whole thing. But I think we are settling down into a routine and getting adjusted to things. We still have to get up at 2am to take her blood test, but she actually sleeps right through that test! :slight_smile:

One of the ladies at the church grabbed me after mass Sunday and invited us to go to Diabetes Camp with them next summer. One of the girls from her school emailed her and told her that she also is diabetic and takes insulin and if she wanted to talk she should call. . . they have not called each other, but they are now emailing each other daily.

I ordered a “Flowers & Butterfly” insulin carry bag that she can use to carry her supplies with her. I also ordered a larger bag that we can use for family outings when we go overnight or away for a weekend.

And I broke down and ordered her a cellphone . . . also HOT PINK. I hate the idea of children having cellphones, but now I can’t imagine that she can go anywhere without one. Funny how things change with the situation changes.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for all the support and prayers. We got very very lucky that this was caught so early in the course of the disease. She has had no ill effects so far and we hope to keep it that way.

I’m praying for your daughter,and I’ll pray that the diabetes doesnt bother or affect her.

I am so glad to hear your daughter and family are doing so well. I will keep praying for you. I am also glad you found the website helpful. I needed to wear a medical alert bracelet and wanted one that would not stand out. Most people at work always complimented me on my “nice bracelet” and few realized it was a medical alert bracelet because they were not looking for it. But doctors and nurses noticed it and always complimented me on it. I think laurenshope.com is great for children and adults, and keeps people safer by providing something that is nice looking. A medical alert bracelet doesn`t help if you are not wearing it!

You might also keep a little card in your daughters wallet noting that she is diabetic. And gently remind her to always wear the bracelet. If she gets in the habit now, it will stick, and she wont decide she doesn`t need it later.

I will keep your daughter, you, and your family in my prayers. Thanks for the update!

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Maria, thanks for all the advice. I’m thinking that since my daughter is 12 we need to help her ingrain good habits now. I was at the pharmacy today and noticed “DIABETIC” key rings. Seems like a good thing to get for her car, when she is able to drive, and would be something she’d have to keep with her.

I spoke with a cousin of mine today who works in a jewelry store and she is going to show me some other pretty Medic Alert bracelets that they stock at their store. My daughter really wants a Medic Alert ‘charm’ for her charm bracelet, but its an expensive bracelet and we don’t let her play with that one, so I think I’ll buy the charm, but it will still be something that we restrict the times she is allowed to wear. I think by getting her a few choices now, she may settle on one as she matures?

AS FOR US ADJUSTING, it seems clear that my daughter is adjusting the easiest. I’m honestly glad I have this forum, as well as another I frequent, to get prayers, advice and support. My wife was doing great, but I think today she is totally worn out and stressed. She’s been resting in bed since dinner and I think she’s feeling pressure now.

One nice thing was that we got a call from Melen’s doctor this evening. He was the one who suspected diabetes and sent us up to the hospital in Chicago. He’s a very caring doctor and we are lucky to have him. He simply called to get an update! Not a lot of doctors give that type of service anymore.

I’ll be keeping your daughter in my prayers!

I am glad that you have a doctor who is so caring. The best situation is where you and the medical team work hand-in-hand.

The infusion set is the insulin pump. You can find all kinds of information from Mini-Med (minimed.com/). It was mentioned to follow your doctor’s instructions in an earlier post. Of course I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. He is the best contact for you to learn about it and if/why he thinks this may/may not benefit your daughter at this time.

Keeping Melen in prayer and thank you for the updates…
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_14_5.gifJMJ

Hi Melensdad, I am praying for you and your daughter. Be sure that you unite yourself and all these sufferings to the Lord. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

I will tell you also that my daugher has been through nearly exactly the same thing. She went to the hospital at age 12 (they think her diabetes was triggered by those raging 12 year old hormones). She had blood sugar over 800 and was in a state of ketoacidosis which is pretty dangerous. Like your daughter, she adjusted very quickly and after about the first week or so she began to do all her injections herself (she is now 18).

FYI, my daughter was originally diagnosed type 1 and was fully insulin dependent initially. However, after about 6 months, her pancreas started functioning again on a partial level. She now takes only one shot in the evening (a long lasting insulin called Lantus) and two pills per day. Now they have changed her diagnosis to type 2. The doctors were baffled by the reversal of her condition (typically, you can go from type 2 to type 1, but not very often does one go from type 1 to type 2 ). Of course, I’ll just chalk that up to the Lord’s merciful healing. Praise God!

God Bless You,

Prayer_Warrior

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.