My 6yo DD saw a trailer for "The Exorcist of Emily Rose"

My DD walked into the LR the other night and on the TV was a trailer for the movie “The Exorcist of Emily Rose” because the DVD is coming out. She managed to not see most of it as she wasn’t interested in what was on TV but when she turned to walk out of the LR, she caught the very end of it and it was a fast picture of “Emily” with her eyes blue with an evil look on her face. My daughter froze. She then looked at me and with a look of utter fear on her face, she asked why that girl’s eyes were like that. I told her it’s a movie about a girl that got possessed by an evil spirit and it’s one that we’re not going to see.

Well, she’s now having nightmares about an evil spirit possessing her. She knows of her guardian angel and she says the Hail Mary if she wakes up from a nightmare…

I guess I’m just asking for some prayers for her. I’m a big believer in possessions and that they are in fact true, so I worry if just her seeing that little blip has opened something up that she’s not ready to handle.
thanks!
theresa

I will definitely pray for you and your daughter! I remember experiencing something similar when I was around that age. I found out the truth about Hell and would have horrible nightmares of fires burning up buildings where I was. I still remember some of those dreams! I wonder if talking this over with her in greater depth might help? How about explaining that the girl on TV was just “pretending” to be possessed and that they only made her look that ugly for the movie, and in real life she is normal and that people don’t usually look that way when they get possessed? How about talking to a priest and getting him to give her a special blessing (and maybe even a little prayer saying something to the effect of “Please guard DD from all evil spirits…”).

Maybe now would also be a great time to teach her the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel. Good luck!

A few years ago, my younger brother walked in on a film my sister was watching. He was about six. (The film was “event horizon”)

It was a vision of hell (or something that looked like hell) at that particular moment (talk about coincidence) with people burning, graphic mutliation to bodies, and sinful activities taking place, couple with blood on everyone and some chilling music.

I FLIPPED. Nearly killed my sister. Well, i didnt touch her, but boy was i mad.

My little brother is now ten.

You know what, he doesnt remember it at all.

Diddly squat.

And i dont intend to remind him of it.

Try and focus your daughters attention on the value of prayer. Drown her in pictures/stories/prayers etc… so she wont remember it. Kids have to take in a lot of stuff (most of it gets forgotten), dont pay attention to it by any means but ignore it UNLESS she really finds it an issue. I think it will be forgotten within a few weeks. Its nearly Christmas, ask her if there is something nice she wants etc…

Distract her.

And dont mention it again.

:slight_smile: I aint perfect. I might be wrong.

These things are situation specific.

In Christ.

Andre.

I can remember that when I was young the commercial for horror movies used to terrify me. The advertisments alone would give me horrible nightmares. The bad part about Emily Rose is that you can’t fall back on the old stand by ‘it is just make believe’ because it isn’t.

Both my sons went through horrible periods as youngesters where they would have bad dreams. Remembering my own fear, I let them keep their bedroom lights on and would sometimes sit by their beds till they fell asleep. Occasionally, I would have mothers inform me that I should just give them a night light and let them tough it out. I never did.

They are now perfectly normal teens who sleep with the lights off and occasionally even watch horror movies. They are very protective of their younger sisters and I have two extra helpers to turn the channel when commericals for horror movies come on. They don’t want their sisters to be frightened.

One of the things that I did to help my sons was spraying their room with monster killing water. I was not a Catholic at the time or I would have used holy water.

I’m not suggesting that the OP did anything wrong, but I think I would have tried to bluff my way out of that one. Maybe tell her it was a funny movie about a girl who dressed up for Halloween or something. Maybe. That’s if you can think fast enough. My kids don’t have very many nightmares. I think it’s because I don’t tell them about all the scary stuff. When they do get scared, and want lights on or something, I let them. Trying to sleep when you petrified is horrible. I remember trying it.

Anyway, what do you think? I know it’s too late for the OP’s daughter, but for the future, do any of you think it’s a bad idea to BS your kids a little if it keeps them from having nightmares?

Teach her the St.Micheal prayer too and see about inducting her into the scapular. These might help put her mind at ease, but now she has to deal with adult issues of discernment. Tell her people have to let demons in in some way, but if she prays a lot and does God’s will, then the demons can not just take her over. Also when she gets older warn her about Ouji boards and witch craft, and anything to do with leaving your body (Hypnotic trances, eastern culture religions that get you to leave your body to “find your happy place”), right now she is too young, but it would let her become aware of the problems with these things.

Now, go get the Veggie Tale, God is Bigger than the boogie man! This helps my little daughter with her struggles with turning the light off. She tells me that sometimes the bad spookies keep her up at night or wake her up. Once I went to the priest and asked to induct her into the scapular, she has not complained about the “bad spookies”.

Good Luck and be aware! Once children are exposed to something, you can not take it back. The innocence and carefree spirit are gone!

[quote=tamccrackine]My DD walked into the LR the other night and on the TV was a trailer for the movie “The Exorcist of Emily Rose” because the DVD is coming out. She managed to not see most of it as she wasn’t interested in what was on TV but when she turned to walk out of the LR, she caught the very end of it and it was a fast picture of “Emily” with her eyes blue with an evil look on her face. My daughter froze. She then looked at me and with a look of utter fear on her face, she asked why that girl’s eyes were like that. I told her it’s a movie about a girl that got possessed by an evil spirit and it’s one that we’re not going to see.

Well, she’s now having nightmares about an evil spirit possessing her. She knows of her guardian angel and she says the Hail Mary if she wakes up from a nightmare…

Spending some time in prayer with her at bedtime may be a good idea. And, after tucking her in give her a parental blessing out loud while tracing a cross on her forehead.

If she still asks questions about it just explain that when we stay close to Jesus things like that don’t happen to us.

I guess I’m just asking for some prayers for her. I’m a big believer in possessions and that they are in fact true, so I worry if just her seeing that little blip has opened something up that she’s not ready to handle.
thanks!
theresa
[/quote]

The message I previously posted in answer to the original poster did not come out right.

It is somewhere in the middle of the quote…and appears to be part of the quote.

Don’t know what caused that.

My message is just two small paragraphs that begin with "Spending some time in prayer with her…

I’d go with the make-believe explanation. I know, possession isn’t make-believe, but the reality is that what your daughter saw was an actress wearing makeup, with her eye color probably changed by computer graphics, playing a part. She is six years old; she is old enough to start being taught that most of what is on TV (especially the commercials) is make-believe. Maybe you could show her a program on how things are done digitally in the movies and explain to her that most movies nowadays are like that.

We hit both of our sons with the “TV is make-believe” explanation very early in their lives, especially when we were about to let them watch Jaws. We explained about fake blood, mechanical sharks, etc., and as a result, they were able to enjoy the story without getting carried away by the [fake] gore.

(On a slightly different emphasis, stressing that commercials are REALLY make-believe will help kids realize that toys don’t work in reality nearly as well as they are seen to work in their commercials.)

DaveBj

My daughter loves to play imaginary. So much so, it became a concern of her teachers. Many meetings later, they were assured that my daughter was fine, but she did have a very active imagination.
We did explain to her that movies we watch and tv shows we watch have actors, I then explained what an actor is, and it is pretend. After explaining this a few times, she got it and now helps her brother deal with the imaginary and the real.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.