My annulment papers were destroyed; can you help?

I proceeded with an anullment in 1987, it might have been a few years later, but right in that time frame. It was at St Eulalia Catholic Church in Maywood Illinois. I and my ex husband filled out all the paper work, so much paper work, I remember the pages being blue. When I had not been contacted by anyone as to the finalaty of the anullment. I called the rectory and they told me they had a flood and all the paper work had been destroyed. There were no computers at that time and no information had been saved. I do not have the funds to redo this, I am in my 50’s and am below the poverty line. I really want to go to confession and receive the eucharist. Maybe it was processed, and I never was notified or everything was destroyed in the flood. My name as given in the papers was Cynthia Pace Abbatacola- My ex husband- Mario Abbatacola-
Children-Christen, Kara, Daniel
Cook County, DuPage County
Please look into this and give me information as to what I can do to rectify this.
I would appreciate anything you can do.
Thank you. Cynthia

Dear Cynthia,

The marriage tribunal of you diocese should still have that information. You need to contact your diocese. Your pastor can help you with this if you aren’t sure of how to contact the diocese.

If you have not remarried out side of the Church, you are free to go to Confession and receive Holy Communion. If you have, then if you live as brother and sister until your marriage is blessed, you may go to Confession and receive Holy Communion. If you need further help, you may contact me at vserpa@catholic.com. You are in my prayers.

Fr. VIncent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.