My Aunt...

…is driving me crazy. Those of you who have seen my previous posts know that I have an aunt who lives in an apartment upstairs from my family and she is miserable most of the time and is always butting into our - especially my - business.

I’m just complaining at this point, because there really is not much that can be done about it. She was downstairs in our apartment at 7:30am today, and her loud mouth that was undoubtedly voicing her opinion about something, woke me up. Mind you, I am usually up at this time, but I have been home sick with a doctor’s note, because of severe intestinal issues.

To top it off, our friend of the family (as most of you know) also lives with us, but in OUR apartment. She does not have her own room, because our house is so dang small, so she sleeps on a bed in our dining room. Well, she is always whining about something. Lately, she has been home “sick” with asthma - I say “sick” because she puts herself on bed rest when she gets a hangnail. She has been home from work all week, and she just sits in our living room, the computer on her stomach, and falls asleep in our recliner, sleeping for hours on end. She does absolutely nothing around the house (even when she is well); we (especially ME) do EVERYTHING for her…laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. If she makes a mess in the kitchen, she leaves it there for someone else to find.

She is extremely obese and that’s part of the reason she does not do anything. She cannot move easily, so she just sleeps and eats and expects us to do the rest.

So basically, I have absolutely no privacy whatsoever. My parents do not seem to care about their own privacy. But I care about my own.

A couple of months ago, I had the rarity of being home alone (or so I thought), so I decided to take a shower. If I shower while my parents are home, I will be disturbed more times than I can count lol. So I wanted to take a relaxing shower, right? WRONG.

There I am, bathing and contemplating life, and there’s a knock on the door. It was my aunt, asking where my parents were. I told her where they were, and I thought she had left. So I didn’t think much of it, got out of the shower, dried off, and decided to take advantage of the fact that I was alone. I walked out of the bathroom in nothing but my underwear, only to discover that she was STILL standing outside of the bathroom. cue me mumbling a long list of profanities under my breath It’s my family that drives me to swear.

I don’t know what to do. I never get time to myself just to think…because I have been home sick, my aunt has taken it upon herself to try to tell me that staying home is not a good idea, because my professors won’t think well of me. Well let me tell you, I could use half the school as professional references for my past work…I REALLY don’t think it will be a problem.

What do I do? How can I handle this? Our friend will be going on Social Security Disability, and once she does, she will be home 24/7. I do not think I can handle anymore. Please pray for me…

I take it you cannot move at this time?

For reasons far different, I cannot stand to be under my own roof. At all.
I leave as soon as possible in the morning and do not go back til the last possible minute at night.
This would not help private bath time, of course.

Have you had a firm heart to heart conversation with her?

I shall pray for solutions, be it the ability to procure your own space, the strength to deal meanwhile, and preferrably both! As well as the right words and actions for that heart to heart.

:smiley: :console:

If the friend of the family living with you can move around and is not physically disabled in any way then STOP doing stuff for her…let her do her own laundry, cooking and cleaning…if she makes a mess leave it…let your parents see it…it may open their eyes to tell her to help around the house or move out

If she comments about you staying home then just say my dr says i have to stay home due to my health issues and im going to listen to my dr rather than you…

If she reports you to your parents for not being her unpaid maid and doing everything for her just tell them you need to rest due to your health

As for your aunts voice waking you up…could you try sleeping with earplugs

And for the shower thing…maybe slip on a robe after a shower incase anybody is hanging around outside the bathroom

Godbless you

Crystal

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.