My BFF Pope Francis I

I was curious. Are bishops, popes, cardinals, and priests allowed to have friends? Or are they supposed to be recluses kind of like monks tending only after their parishes?

[quote="newenglandsun, post:1, topic:349490"]
I was curious. Are bishops, popes, cardinals, and priests allowed to have friends?

[/quote]

Of course. :)

They’re not only allowed, but encouraged. Even a monk is not a recluse, but lives in community. Social relationships with other people is part of healthy human formation — if someone is so antisocial they can’t talk to a stranger, it can be a problem when a man is becoming a priest, one that he’ll have to work on with his spiritual director.

I know several priests who maintained friends from college and high school, and still visit them regularly. It’s also not uncommon for a priest to become friends with someone he would work with regularly (the former pastor of the neighboring parish became fast friends with the local funeral director, due to repeat business, as morbid as that sounds).

Bishops sometimes like to keep a bit of a professional distance between themselves and priests in their diocese, to avoid making it look like they “play favorites,” but it’s not uncommon for a bishop and his priests to go out to dinner together after a meeting or event (e.g.: Confirmation). Even then, bishops often maintain friendships old friends from before seminary, and other people they meet along the way.

All of this takes into account that a priest ought to also have priest-friends he can talk to sometimes. While it’s certainly possible to talk about what’s going on with anyone, the issues that arise in priestly life are sometimes best discussed among fellow priests. Many priests maintain friendships from seminary because of this. I know two priests who went to seminary together, and keep the same day off so they can hang out.

There is no need to call him Francis I until there is a Second. And if he really is your BFF, you can still call him Jorge. I am sure that that is what his sister calls him.

I highly doubt that His Holiness is your BFF.

And yes, monks and clerics can have friends.

[quote="bben15, post:5, topic:349490"]
I highly doubt that His Holiness is your BFF.

And yes, monks and clerics can have friends.

[/quote]

No he's not. I was being metaphorical. ;)

My former pastor said that his relationships with his brother priests are essential. Only a priest truly knows and feels the weight of his duties and calling-both the joys and the sorrows of the priesthood.

[quote="newenglandsun, post:1, topic:349490"]
I was curious. Are bishops, popes, cardinals, and priests allowed to have friends? Or are they supposed to be recluses kind of like monks tending only after their parishes?

[/quote]

Why is this a question? Priests are human, with human families and friends. It seems pretty common sense that of course they are allowed to have friends. Read some bios on the Popes and you will see they have many friends. I am friends with several priests, we call and talk or play basketball or go shooting and camping together.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.