My boyfriend thinks hes called to be a priest!

My boyfriend of 2 years or should I say ex boyfriend thinks hes called to be a priest. We just started back in the Catholic church a little over a month ago and now he thinks hes called to be a priest. Once he told me this and how serious he is I broke up with him and moved back home. He his basiclly telling me we might not have a future together after long disscusions about our future. We were emotionally and financially tied together so now he has to move to another state to be with family and eventially go to school in an even farther state. He hasn't even been confermed yet, we are going through the class's right now. I have met with a priest with my ex being present and I don't think he got out of it what the priest was trying to say. My ex doesn't even know that much about the catholic faith just that whatever it is he belives it all. One minute hes open to other possibilities the next hes not. I feel like hes gone off the deep end. Or maybe hes just excited, maybe I should have stayed living there (which we moved intogether before our search for God) so he didn't have to move and let it ride. My heart is broken and I'm confussed and in need of peace, comfort, openions, anything...... I'm 24 and hes 25, my family is telling me that hes imature and nobody around him but his mom and sister are supporting him in this, everyone else including his closest friends thinks hes gone nuts. If it is true I don't want to be the one to stand in the way of this but I don't think its true, can it be if we've only been back for a few months.. Pease if anybody has any advice or anything let me know. Thank you and God Bless!!

[quote="lmormesher, post:1, topic:186456"]
My boyfriend of 2 years or should I say ex boyfriend thinks hes called to be a priest. We just started back in the Catholic church a little over a month ago and now he thinks hes called to be a priest. Once he told me this and how serious he is I broke up with him and moved back home. He his basiclly telling me we might not have a future together after long disscusions about our future. We were emotionally and financially tied together so now he has to move to another state to be with family and eventially go to school in an even farther state. He hasn't even been confermed yet, we are going through the class's right now. I have met with a priest with my ex being present and I don't think he got out of it what the priest was trying to say. My ex doesn't even know that much about the catholic faith just that whatever it is he belives it all. One minute hes open to other possibilities the next hes not. I feel like hes gone off the deep end. Or maybe hes just excited, maybe I should have stayed living there (which we moved intogether before our search for God) so he didn't have to move and let it ride. My heart is broken and I'm confussed and in need of peace, comfort, openions, anything...... I'm 24 and hes 25, my family is telling me that hes imature and nobody around him but his mom and sister are supporting him in this, everyone else including his closest friends thinks hes gone nuts. If it is true I don't want to be the one to stand in the way of this but I don't think its true, can it be if we've only been back for a few months.. Pease if anybody has any advice or anything let me know. Thank you and God Bless!!

[/quote]

A month back into the Catholic Church seems to short to discern this type of commitment?

Also, depending on the circumstances I think there is something in Canon Law or some other document, where you have to be a participating Catholic in good standing for a certain amount of time before they'll let you start your training?

I don't mean to discourage him, but I've known several people, myself included, who had considered consecrated life. However, the discision to do it or not to do it took several years (in some instances) to decide.

I think your ex boyfriend may be overwhelmed with the wonderful feeling of “coming home”. Get your affairs independent of his completely, to be sure. But this may turn out to be a passing…well, I don’t want to diminish by calling it a “fancy”, it is a very wonderful elation he is probably feeling right now. But it will likely pass. Just take good care of you, andd watch from the sidelines for a bit.

I think patience will win the day.

You may enjoy a couple of stories of guys who had vocations to the priesthood, kind of suddenly.

Fr. Donald Calloway came from not even being Christian or anything, to becoming a priest: alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Donald_Calloway_Conversion.mp3

Fr. John Corapi was a Catholic, left to be a sort of playboy, almost died, then came back, big time:

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Fr_John_Corapi_Conversion.mp3

first of all, i will pray for you… and for him

i, personally, think its likely that he has 'convert fever".
its that terribly wild enthusiasm for (whatever) that people get when they find something they really love and get involved in. it can lead to a great deal of proselytizing, (often badly informed)…

the best course of action i can see for you is to continue with your own RCIA. get back to the church, get to a good position in your spiritual life. pray for strength and discernment for yourself. say the Rosary…

perhaps, after he calms down, he will decide he is called to the vocation of the priesthood. perhaps he will decide he is called to the vocation of marriage!
perhaps he will grow up and settle down… because he doesnt sound very settled, or decided, to me.

if you do get back together, i have no doubt that living APART before marriage will end up being helpful to you. you will develop more independence and stability on your own… which YOU will need as a wife and mother.

Father Corapi needed only 5 minutes to realize he was supposed to be a priest. Do not stand in his way. He must walk away on his own if it is not to be. However, I don't advise waiting for him either. You may be waiting a long time, only for nothing in the end. Who cares if everyone thinks he's insane. That's actually a typical response in this country, and his family will be all the support he needs to make it. Let him go. It will not be good for either of you if you are the one who talks him out of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.