My brother, the Mason

My brother is a Mason and I’m praying for him but am unsure how to act around him now. I don’t know why he decided to become a Mason; I think my mom may have had something to do with it. The reason I think this is because when I started looking into why the Church excommunicates Masons, I tried to talk to my mom about what I had found. She got very angry, said it was a Christian organization (which I told her it wasn’t), and that she knew plenty of Masons who were good Christian men. :banghead:
I didn’t grow up Catholic, in fact, I grew up southern Baptist. When my brother was 11, my parents divorced. I don’t remember going to church very much after that. My mom goes to the Methodist church, now (maybe every Sunday, I’m not sure). My brother never went to church during college unless he was home for the weekend (even then he would laugh sometimes because the church has this huge stained glass window on the back wall: it’s a picture of Christ knocking on a door and He’s holding what really, really looks like a golf club! :rotfl: ).
I have talked to my dad and sent him texts from scripturecathoolic.com and the freemasons’ website. I also sent him links to CA and the Ephesians something website that was listed on another thread on here. He believes me about the Masons being a cult. I don’t know what to do about my brother. Anytime anyone (usually me or my DH) asks him anything about Masons he gets that sly grin on his face. I don’t know if I should disassociate myself with him or what I should do. I don’t want him or anyone else to think I am condoning his behavior. Now that the holidays are upon us I wonder what I should do…
A little advice, please??? :confused:

pray, pray, pray…

and remember above all, he is your brother… love him…
if he wants to talk, then talk… but, don’t make it an
adversarial situation… and if it starts to become
uncomfortable, simply say something like… “i love you
and i’m concerned, that’s all”

and pray some more…

:slight_smile:

In this Forum there is a thread “Delivered from Masonry” including posts from former masons who realised the dangers. They might give you some help.

[quote=thistle]In this Forum there is a thread “Delivered from Masonry” including posts from former masons who realised the dangers. They might give you some help.
[/quote]

That’s one thread I’ve been reading and also the other one “Who are the Masons?” I gave links to one of those to my dad. We are just unsure of if we should confront him or try to do an intervention or disassociate with him or just pretend nothing is wrong…

[quote=RCCDefender]That’s one thread I’ve been reading and also the other one “Who are the Masons?” I gave links to one of those to my dad. We are just unsure of if we should confront him or try to do an intervention or disassociate with him or just pretend nothing is wrong…
[/quote]

I think many men nowadays who join the Masons do so more for social/business reasons than because they embrace the philosophical/religious reasons behind Masonry. But, as someone in the other thread on this topic mentioned, there can be the attraction to “secret knowledge” that plays on the ego of some who join (your brother’s pride will no doubt be a big obstacle). Whichever “category” that fits your brother (and it may be both), I think that simply presenting him with the truth in a loving manner and then leaving it to God will best serve your desire that he leave that organization. Keep praying for him, and keep showing him your love even if - at this time - he refuses to understand your concern.

Last year before I came back to the Church I was invited to be a Mason. I have a couple clients who are Masons and they gave me some paperwork which told me a little bit about it and how they are a fraternal organization. Nothing that looks bad or anything on the outside, so I seriously considered joining since it looked like fun.
When I told my wife she became worried, so I looked into it and decided not to try it out, to keep the peace at home. Later I found out more and am glad I never joined, but I am sure many join just to get into a fraternal organization. Doesn’t everyone want to be part of a club sometimes?
Most people don’t realize the underlying tones of the organization, and what it all means.

God Bless
Scylla

You want a good fraternal organization that supports the church, pope, and the clergy? Join the Knights of Columbus. They have fun, are family oriented, and perform a million charitable works. They are found in every state, Canada, Mexico, and the Philipines.

[quote=rwoehmke]You want a good fraternal organization that supports the church, pope, and the clergy? Join the Knights of Columbus. They have fun, are family oriented, and perform a million charitable works. They are found in every state, Canada, Mexico, and the Philipines.
[/quote]

As I said before, I am a convert. I grew up Southern Baptist. My brother is not a Catholic, although I pray for his conversion. Therefore, I don’t think he could become a K of C, even if he had an interest in joining.

You could try leaving printed material on the masons lying innocently around the house if ye’re all together for a time at home. And if you’re unsure about the effects of arguments.

I have heard Karl Keating say on CA Live several times that the Catholic Church specifically prohibits Catholics from joining the Masons. While it’s a fraternal organization in many places in the US, it still has a fundamental charter of a religion that is not ours, the Masons in other parts of the world still actively persecute Catholics.

It doesn’t seem like this is a point of negotiation.

Aloha RCC Defender,
My advise would be, not to even bring it up but show by example. However, should your brother bring it up, then you should discuse it but only in a way of charity & love, letting him know of your fear for his salvation.

In the late sixties, I had the opportunity to transfer from a police department in South Texas to a department in West Texas. I was a member of the Knights of Columbus & the WT chief was a 32nd.Degee Mason & let me tell you, I was very concerned that I might be ending my career before it ever really took off. Well too make a long story short, I took the job & my fears were non founded. I don’t believe I have ever knew a nicer man in my life and would be very proud to call him my dad. I think for the most part, the average Masons are good, hard working & honest people. So again, show by example to your brother & pray for him. OK?
your brother in Christ,
Rich

I was talking to my dad this weekend and asked him if he ever talked to my brother. He mentioned some of the information he hadd heard from me and seen on the net to him. My brother just brushed it off saying that people put anything on the net. He is very aware of Jack Chick because of all the stuff Chick says about Masons, so he probably thinks everything is like that. It probably doesn’t help that Chick is a widely known idiot; it may even be giving my brother some justification for being a Mason.
:nope:

[quote=RCCDefender]My brother is a Mason and I?m praying for him but am unsure how to act around him now. I don?t know why he decided to become a Mason; I think my mom may have had something to do with it. The reason I think this is because when I started looking into why the Church excommunicates Masons, I tried to talk to my mom about what I had found. She got very angry, said it was a Christian organization (which I told her it wasn?t), and that she knew plenty of Masons who were good Christian men. :banghead:
I didn?t grow up Catholic, in fact, I grew up southern Baptist. When my brother was 11, my parents divorced. I don?t remember going to church very much after that. My mom goes to the Methodist church, now (maybe every Sunday, I?m not sure). My brother never went to church during college unless he was home for the weekend (even then he would laugh sometimes because the church has this huge stained glass window on the back wall: it?s a picture of Christ knocking on a door and He?s holding what really, really looks like a golf club! :rotfl: ).
I have talked to my dad and sent him texts from scripturecathoolic.com and the freemasons? website. I also sent him links to CA and the Ephesians something website that was listed on another thread on here. He believes me about the Masons being a cult. I don?t know what to do about my brother. Anytime anyone (usually me or my DH) asks him anything about Masons he gets that sly grin on his face. I don?t know if I should disassociate myself with him or what I should do. I don?t want him or anyone else to think I am condoning his behavior. Now that the holidays are upon us I wonder what I should do?
A little advice, please??? :confused:
[/quote]

Keep praying for you brother. The masons are not just a cult, or a fraternity. It is certainly not Christian, but it hides behind that name. Get a look at a satellite photo of Washington D.C. the white house is at the bottom point of the largest pentagram ever drawn on the ground. The mason compass is a little bit south connected by the monuments and the reflecting pool and it is raising the pentagram. Satanists are not just the loonies dressed in black that go out and kill cats on halloween. Masonry is organized, accepted, disguised satanism.

You brothers deceision is about what he beleives. Perhaps he does not beleive in God? That is the only way he could grin when you said masonry is a cult. There is alot of power (financial, socail,etc) in masonry.

I would suggest, like Like said, Approach your brother (respectfully) as if he were an unbeleiver. Dont just tell him that masonry is a cult, especially if he just grins. But teach him why he should beleive in God. Witness to him as if you were trying to save his soul. Tell him God made the world, man sinned and lost eternal life, so God dyed in our place to save us, only asking that just as we left him by free will, we also have to come back to him by free will. If faith in God is the question, everything created has a creator. Everything designed has a designer. Could love evolve? Could evolution make such a complex world, in which our food grows on trees? (ROMANS 1:20)

Witness to your brother. And then if he rejects God that’s one thing. But if you lead him to Christ, then God will take him out of Freemasonry. Always pray, because God is a prayer hearing God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.