My catholic uncle going to "non demonstrational" churches

My uncle inlaw is catholic but for a while now pretty much all his friends are non-denominational Christians who seem to hold values similar to Baptists and he’s been going to their churches rather than Mass. He says that it doesn’t matter where they go to worship. How can i show him the importance of going to mass?

Well if he is Catholic then he should believe in Christ’s presence in the Eucharist. If that is the case, why would he want to be anywhere else but in the presence of Christ, and partaking of the sacrament of Holy communion ?

Do not forget that right worship is important to God. Why were Adam and Eve banished from Eden? Why was Cain’s sacrifice not good and Abel’s was? Why were Nadab and Abihu incinerated? Why was Uzzah struck dead? These all heard God’s Word and did not worship the truth, but instead worshiped their own idea of what was good. Most of them were probably good people… David was grieved for Uzzah, and Aaron for his sons. But it stands as a lasting testament to the importance of knowing God as Truth, not “whatever I think should be is good enough for God.”

Pray for your uncle to have a change of heart. Also, I don’t think giving him extreme examples like “God is going to incinerate you like he did Nadab and Abihu” will help-- I’m just trying to keep you on board while you go through this tough time.

You could start by asking him WHY he has this opinion.

Exactly. I think it should be pointed out to your (the op’s) uncle that he is missing out on the Eucharist. If he expresses doubt about the Eucharist then show him the Gospel of John, specifically chapter 6 which is about the Eucharist. You can also use the many apologetics articles on Catholic Answers and on other Catholic apologetics sites to assist you in defending Catholic teaching on the Eucharist.

Yes, this would be a good idea. Once the OP finds out WHY his uncle has this opinion then the OP can attempt to correct any false ideas or opinions that his/her uncle has.

Exactly! Definitely the OP should pray for his/her uncle. Also talking to him about right worship could help convince his uncle as well. Clearly the Catholic Church’s manner of worshiping God in the Mass is what God desires. Indeed, Jesus Christ Himself celebrated the first Mass at the Last Supper and thereby gave us an example.

It sounds like the friends of your uncle have pulled him into their church and that he wants their company and to be accepted by them.

His faith isn’t strong enough to resist. My suggestion is to use the green scapular.

The green scapular was given to us by Mary to use when a person’s faith is weak. You can help your uncle by following the directions of Mary. This green scapular is Mary’s way of helping someone back to her son and his church. It was her wish that we have her help by using this.

Mary gave this scapular to Sister Jacqueline in 1840 in Paris France. Mary told Sister to have it blessed and give it to the person who is in spiritual danger. And if they won’t accept it then hid it around them somewhere or in their clothes. It could be put in a vase, under the mattress, in a sofa. But there are two conditions for its success. Pray this prayer every day for them, “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.” And to trust her to do what she said she would do. The greater the trust, the greater the effect. She didn’t say when, but only that she would do it, so have perseverance in the prayer and in her.

The promises were:
Bring back those who have left the faith.
Strengthen those who are weak in the faith.
Deepen the faith of those who have a good faith.
A peaceful death.
Protection from satan.

As you can see, the promises are also good for those who are faithful as well. So get one for yourself as well and say the prayer everyday for yourself as well. Have it blessed and put it in your wallet.

Here are a few stories about it.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=620449
(From an atheist)
How did you come to embrace Catholicism?
Strangely enough, it was the Blessed Virgin Mary. That friend of mine had sneakily
snuck in a scapular under my mattress. I didn’t know until about 1 year into my
conversion. I imagine that she had something to do with it. I think it was the
green scapular.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=9630587&posted=1#post9630587

I prayed for my husband a lot as he had been away from the Church for many years. I put a blessed green scapular under the mattress and prayed for him daily, and other family and friends prayed for him also. After several years he finally came back to the Church, and died a very happy man two years after that.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11044374#post11044374
Although I have been a long wearing brown scauplar - 24/7 - the Green is my favorite. If you read about it - the promises of the Green Scapular do not depend on the person you igve it to - the promises are on you the giver. Yes they need not even know you have placed it in their home.

I offered my Dad a scapular as he was failing in heal - knowing that he did not fully accept his Catholic Faith. He kept it in his pocket. I prayed for five intentions for his death:

1. That he would not die alone - his greatest fear…
  2. …Or even better that we siblings would be with him
  3. That he would be receive the Anointing of the Sick and Viaticum
  4. For him to die at the great hour of mercy…
  5. …on a great feast day of the Church

After feeling selfish I asked God to grant only one of these and I would know that my prayers with the Green Scapular had been heard.

My Dad died on Holy Saturday at 3:15 PM with all of us at his side after he had been Annointed and given Viaticum at 1:30!

Now for a true story about my uncle. I gave him one in high school when he was about 45, and he was away from the church until his death. He received the last sacraments in his 70’s and died peacefully.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

What you describe unfortunately is the byproduct of indifferentism / relativism / modernism / liberalism whichever term(s) one wants to use, that have infected our society : [/FONT]http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10lamen.htm

Fact: It DOES matter where and HOW we worship. Here’s why mass (the Eucharist) is so important.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Heb 10:25-29 [/FONT]is about the mass on Sunday (the day) CCC 2178

That’s why for Catholics deliberately missing mass on Sundays and holy days is a mortal sin. Here’s why

To explain the history:

Heb 10: (all emphasis mine)
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. 26 For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth,there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful prospect ofjudgment*, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries. 28* A man who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy at the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29* How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by the man who has spurned the Son of God, and profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and **outraged **the Spirit of grace?"

Notice: after receiving the knowledge of the truth
[LIST]
*]historically as we can see from Hebrews, a Catholic who deliberately misses mass on Sunday (the Day), was already being warned from the 1st century they were commiting a grave sin worthy of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries of God from the 1st century. iow, do NOT miss the Eucharist.
*]Why? because no sacrifice for sins remains for the one who deliberately misses mass.
*]they profane the blood of the covenant for deliberately missing mass
*]they spurn the son of God and outrages the spirit of grace for deliberately missing mass
[/LIST]But If one has problems connecting [FONT=Arial]the Eucharist and the mass in those passages, then all one has to do is connect Jesus own words with the words used in Hebrews[/FONT]
[LIST]
*]The Eucharist is what Catholics celebrate on (the Day) Sunday and other holy days of obligation. It’s the height and summit of our faith.
[LIST]
*]Matthew 26:26-28. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.Jesus the son of God said those words instituting the Eucharist the night before He died… Jesus further describes the importance of the Eucharist for the soul.
*]Jn 6:53 *unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. Life of the soul is grace in the Eucharist.
]Note:
“unless”
begins a conditional statement. iow what follows that is a command not a suggestion.
[/LIST]
[/LIST]Therefore, the one who after receiving the knowledge of the truth, deliberately misses the Eucharist on (the Day) Sunday, has offended God gravely and the consequence for that are spelled out in that warning.

so for them, to recap
[LIST]
*]no sacrifice for sin is left for THEM.
*]they profane the blood of the covenant
*]they spurn the son of God & outrage the spirit of grace
*]judgment awaits them
[/LIST]I hope this enlightens your uncle.

Remind him that the only way which Christ said he was to be “remembered” was with the bread and wine at the Eucharist. Whatever goes on at this Baptist-type group, I bet it isn’t how Christ said He was to be remembered.

This other group can worship God in their way, while the Holy Catholic Church will worship God in His way.

thank you all with your thoughts and advise. This will help a lot!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.