My Christmas Gift To All . . . .

**Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repent - Metanoeo (met-an-o-eh’-o) - to turn and think differently.
Baptized - Baptizo (bap-tid’-zo) - to cover in a stain or a dye.
Name - Onoma (on’-om-ah) - Authority
Remission - Aphesis (af’-es-is) - release from bondage
Sins - Hamartia (ham-ar-tee’-ah) - to miss the mark
Holy - Hagios (hag’-ee-os) - to set apart
Spirit - Pneuma (pnyoo’-mah) - breathe or spirit

tabcom
T. A. Bush’s COMputer**

What is your Christmas gift to us?? As Catholics we are already baptised and belong to the true Church established by Christ himself upon Peter and we reject the false Church of Predestination.
I hope this is not another thread on predestination!!

Thanks for the present tabcom, I just loved it :smiley:

Now its time for you to open yours…

Matthew 16
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

**I’m not referring to the water ritual that you may have performed as a spiritually innocent infant.

Mark 10:38 But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?

That baptism is a blood baptism that ends with the cross.

Luke 9:23 And (Jesus) said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Repentance is the continual work of God in His people. Jeremiah said that only God can truly cause a man to turn (repent). Man tends to turn back to self and sin. Repentance is a continual turning away from self and what “I” want to Gods Will and what He has instructed for our lives. God will visit our transgression with the rod of correction causing continual repentance. Repentance will bring understanding of truth. It will cause men to blush for the things they once did without conscience. Repentance causes a man to be ashamed, detesting his past. Man cannot get to heaven by just living a moral life and pridefully calling himself a Catholic. He must repent!

Jeremiah 31:18,19 – Turn thou me, and I shall be turned for thou art the Lord my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I bear the reproach of my youth.

Turn – Hebrew: Shuwb - To turn back; turn from self (sin) to God.
Instructed – Hebrew: Yada - To know by seeing; recognition; understand.
Reproach – Hebrew: Cherpah - disgrace; rebuke; expose; defame.

**If you would be so kind as to add some light to the room as to why you quoted Matt 16:18-19, I would be happy to see my gift from you. :slight_smile: **

Well I certainly agree that if someone commits a mortal sin and dies without having repented then they are condemned but if they sincerely repent and receive forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Jesus gave Peter and the Apostles the authority to do this) and die in a state of grace they are saved.

I find it arrogant for you to claim that the Word of God is your gift to all of us.

I’m still trying to figure out the connection between the title of this thread and the OP? :confused:
Maybe this is one of those threads that I’m better off NOT understanding.:rolleyes:

**I do apologize for taking poetic license on the holiday spirit of giving presents. It was not ment to offend.

The secular world wants nothing to do with repentance during the Holiday Season. Like Paul, I am not ashame to preach the gospel in season or out of season.

2Tim 4:2
preach the word; be ready in season {and} out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.**

Why are you preaching to Catholics? We believe in repentence and reconciliation more than anyone!

My Christmas gift to you tabcom, a happy new year, a joyous holiday, warm times spent with your family and friends, and may God the Father bless you always. We receive the 7 gifts of the Holy Ghost when we are confirmed:) as i just was on November 26th:)

a gift of the proclamation of the Word is always the right gift and we thank you, but you may be in the position of any giver who finds his recipient “already has it”, but that’s okay, because we can never hear too much of the Word. Our position as Catholics is, however, that while we read, study and pray with the Word as individuals, we interpret its meaning and apply that meaning universally only with the mind and heart of the Church founded by Jesus Christ, guided according to his promise by the Holy Spirit. Now having received your lovely gift (which of course you “regifted” having first received it yourself) is to to what everyone does when they “already have it” – regifting. So let’s evangelize, folks. Merry Christmas to all and to all a happy, safe, holy New Year.

**Yes, indeed!
Who better to appeal to for preaching the Gospel.
This week is an excellent opportunity to tell relatives and friends that only attend church at weddings, funerals or Christmas the significance of not only Jesus’ birth, but His death and resurrection.

well, friend, i attend church more often than that :slight_smile: :thumbsup:
not all Catholics attend Mass just a few times a year :thumbsup: we attend often daily, and for those who have illness, or disabilities or work schedules that are hectic, some of them go once a week. you’d be surprised that most Catholic’s go to mass daily, we talk about the life of Christ and even the future more than you think. why, read some of these posts here at CAF! i even preach myself sometimes from bus stops, online, phone, you name it. wherever iam!
so do not think that we are all lukewarn, or bench warmers.
i most certainly am not. and that goes for alot here as well. :slight_smile:

Again, you are very arrogant to believe that you are giving anyone the Bible. The Word of God is a gift from God to all of us, not from tabcom. And we are well aware of the Bible’s contents since it was the Catholic Church that compiled and preserved it for you, enabling you to arrogantly come here and tell us a quote you pulled from it was a gift from you.**

The secular world wants nothing to do with repentance during the Holiday Season.

**Then please take your message to the secular world. We are not secular here at Catholic Answers. **

Like Paul, I am not ashame to preach the gospel in season or out of season.

What have you preached? You took a passage from the Bible, created your own personal interpretation of what it means and proceded to tell us this was a gift.

2Tim 4:2

preach the word; be ready in season {and} out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

You are neither a great preacher, nor a prophet, as you seek to glorify yourself and call attention to yourself. The Word of God is lost in your posts because of your self-aggrandizement. This attention-seeking is clear from your use of the blue font in bold, for example. It would be funny if it weren’t so sad, that you are guilty of so many of the sins you accuse others of committing.

My preference for blue font in bold is due to the calibration of my monitor. Also it is far easier for me to scan prior post. When I first started posting, I selected red\bold. It was suggested that it denoted hostility. Thereafter, I changed to blue.

**For the life of me I don’t understand your resentment towards me. I’ve cited two verses from the bible and you accuse me of calling down people?

I must say, your hostility is duely noted.**

Ok, now that you said all that, take a deep breath, relax, and reread my post . . . I stated that ‘This week is an excellent opportunity to tell relatives and friends . . .the significance of not only Jesus’ birth, but His death and resurrection.’

I can’t help pointing out to you that once again you have put your foot in it. :smiley: This comment, which you think ought to mollify Catholic sensibilities has only poured fuel on the fire.

Think about it. What would you say if people asssumed that YOUR loved ones needed to be preached to because WE say so? What you’re telling us is that our loved ones need YOUR particular brand of preaching and that we need to offer it to ensure that they “get the message” this Christmas.

The presumption and arrogance are astonishing! LOL! Although, I’m sure you are being entirely earnest, your approach is less than ecumenical, but rather assumes we NEED to hear this from you in order to “get it.”

Well, maybe some of us do, maybe I do, but we do have our own pastors and the Bible and our Catechism and writings from 2000 years of Christianity to help us, apart from the 7 sacraments established by Christ himself. We’re not lacking in resources.

Christmas blessings to you and yours. :slight_smile:

**My family\friends do need preached to.

The annual ritual script went like this:

1. Christmas mass (optional)
  2. Greeting of the relatives\friends
  3. Glib Conversation (Any discussion of Jesus is prohibited)
  4. Eat Meal (Gluttonay Encouraged)
  5. Open Gifts (Act of Materialism)
  6. Accessive drinking or in some cases, token on a joint outside.
  7. Clean up
  8. Go Home
  9. Go to Bed

Is my experience unique? Absolutely not.

I stopped doing Christmas six years ago because I got tired of handing out free forgiveness to relatives and friends that are only interested in feeding their own bellies with their personal desires.

[quote=tabcom]My family\friends do need preached to.

The annual ritual script went like this:

1. Christmas mass (optional)
  2. Greeting of the relatives\friends
  3. Glib Conversation (Any discussion of Jesus is prohibited)
  4. Eat Meal (Gluttonay Encouraged)
  5. Open Gifts (Act of Materialism)
  6. Accessive drinking or in some cases, token on a joint outside.
  7. Clean up
  8. Go Home
  9. Go to Bed

Is my experience unique? Absolutely not.

I stopped doing Christmas six years ago because I got tired of handing out free forgiveness to relatives and friends that are only interested in feeding their own bellies with their personal desires.
[/quote]

And here we get to the crux of the matter. You’re family doesn’t live up to your expectations and so not only they but we need to hear the “message” from you.

Maybe some of your family and friends are asleep at the wheel, but really, that’s not for you or I to judge. Remember: “Judge not lest ye be judged!” If they are doing what is illegal, they certainly shouldn’t be. So, you should be praying for them and helping them with love not a judgmental atttitude.

Christmas isn’t to blame for anyone’s lack of understanding or devotion, we humans are. People are free to make use of what God has given us for our benefit or not. Which means each of us has to decide if we are going to take him up on what he’s provided for us or not. No one can decide that for another, as much as we might be tempted to do so.

The Church is not responsible for laxity/slothfulness/gluttony/materialism, etc. In truth, the Church is the counterpoint to all those things. But, people decide to ignore the teachings of the Church to their own loss.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with feasting as long as we are also fasting. Nor is there anything wrong with gift giving to loved ones as long as we are also giving to the poor. And small talk is fine too as long as it’s decent and uplifting. Innocent merriment is not forbidden, but needs to be put in its proper place, like a good many other things in life.

Jesus called us to each take up our cross daily and follow him, not tell others how to do that nor judge how well they are or aren’t doing it. We should look to the state of our own souls before we decide the state of anyone else’s. Yes?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.