My classmates..

I go to a catholic University, and you would think that many of the students would be Catholic and religious, but they aren’t. During class, most of the students would make remarks about catholic people not being very open-minded, etc. One time, a girl in my class was saying that having an abortion is not hurting anyone. When I spoke my mind, no one seemed to agree with me. So, after that, I kept my mouth shut. My question is, is it a sin if I hear someone speaking like this and do not say anything, or in any other situation as this ???

Silence is participation in sin. And don’t be afraid to be Catholic: instruction of the ignorant is a work of love, and faith without works is dead. I leave you with this quote:

With regard to doing the will of the Lord, even if someone should be scandalized by what we do, we must not let that hamper our freedom of action.

St. Basil the Great

If you overheard another person speaking of killing a professor would you have to ask this question? The only difference is that civilly we’re allowed to murder a defenseless baby. So, one most ask… does the fact that society says its “allowable” remove the obligation of another from speaking out against the murder?! I’d suggest that the answer is obviously NO. Speak out, give an argument and perhaps it will give a young woman pause enough to realize how detestable infanticide truly is.

In Ecclesiastes, Solomon the Wise said, “There is a time to speak, and a time to be silent.”

I don’t pretend to be able to tell you when you should do which regarding this.

I had a similar experience in High School.

Decades later, at the reunion, I learned that nearly 100% now agree with me.

Never doubt the influence you exercise. Just because the majority does not agree does not mean that your voice is going unheard.

Catholic universites do not exist anymore, thats just a name. If you want to have your best look at a catholic university you should look at Texas A&M, 12,500 catholic constituents, 300 people at daily mass, more or less 8000 students appear at sunday mass, very traditional you should think about transfer :thumbsup: were also the number 86 university world

What does this mean?:confused:

I agree. No one will hear your message if you’re always silent, but similarly, no one will hear it if you’re a broken record.

I sympathize with you. College tends to be a very liberal environment (both morally and politically). The “real” world is not tilted so far to the left, in the U.S. at any rate.

It means that the university is ranked number 86 in the the world using some measure or another. And it also implies that one should perhaps spend less time in church and more time learning grammar.

Thank you all!

I think you should be very reluctant about changing your classmates’ minds. Most debates are fruitless, and if your classmates perceive your arguments as faulty in any way, their confidence in their own beliefs will be strengthened. (This phenomenon is well known in social psychology.)

In general it’s better to try to be a good model of Christian life than to debate. If your life leads your classmates to ask about your beliefs, you can then discuss the issues in an open ended and friendly way. Ideally, you should only help them approach the light: getting them to over the threshold is the work of the Holy Spirit.

(I must admit, I would dearly love to take my own advice here!!!)

I would agree as well. I don’t think it’s a matter of you must always say something or you must never say something. It will depend upon the situation.

No one will hear your message if you’re always silent, but similarly, no one will hear it if you’re a broken record.

This is what I would say. I have also experienced going to a “Catholic” school (a high school, though) where I was literally the only person willing to defend the Church’s teaching. If you do decide to say something, I would remember that your goal is to lead them to the truth, not beat them in an argument.

yeah,that is right.we don’t pretend to be able to tell you when you should do which regarding this

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.